• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DCL

Booting up
Skier
My son who is 5 absolutely loves skiing after spending a week at Vail last year (he now wants to be a ski instructor when he grows up). He did the group of 4 lessons and by the end of the week he was doing really well and could down greens, had some good little turns, etc. I was pretty impressed at how well the instructors got such a little guy going in the right direction. This year we have trips planned to Alta, Telluride and Taos so he'll get 15 days of skiing or so in. My question is whether at this age private lessons are worth it or if others with kids feel ski school is a better environment? My current thinking is doing private lessons in morning, group in afternoon and then depending on his energy skiing with him at the end of the day and on the last day of each of the three trips. Then if he wants to doing a three day trip end of season trip to Snowbasin or Aspen where just the two of us ski together for the trip.

We live in Texas so trying to plan out how to foster his love of skiing at an early age and giving him the best chance to develop the necessary skills (because then I'll have a ski buddy for life)!

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think much depends on your child's personality. My guess is the children's groups at the places you are going will be on the smaller size. At his age, having fun and mileage is important. I think group lessons may be more fun than a private lesson. I love watching the children's groups at Snowmass. They look like they are having a great time.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d recommend only group lessons at his age. That is if he gets along with others. It’s more fun to play in a group and that’s what skiing at his age should be; good fun play. I love that you plan on skiing with him at the end of the day.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Group. The kids have a lot of fun together and get energy from each other. Then, ski with him after the lessons. Ask him what the instructor showed them, and ask the instructor what the two of you should practice.

Remember the three rules of children's instruction...Safety, Fun, Instruction...in that order. They've got to be safe, and if they aren't having fun, they won't learn much.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
Have fun, DCL, it sounds like you are going to have a great season!

JP

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
Maybe steer him away from the ambition of being a ski instructor for his career though. Because everybody knows the difference between a large pizza and a ski instructor... a large pizza can feed a family of four. :roflmao:

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
One more thought, DC...ski with him on runs where he can ski well with his newly acquired skills. I've seen little ones doing a power wedge straight down a steep pitch where they could have skied decently if they were following Dad traversing back and forth across it. The power wedge where they're way back on their skis, very wide wedge, just builds bad habits that are hard to break. Have fun skiing with him in places where he can get his new good skills ingrained.

Reactions: DCL

JeffS

Booting up
Skier
My daughter has always enjoyed the groups. The place she started at about 4/5 had a good kids program where they spent the day together, ate lunch together and actually got to socialize. At 10/11, she's on a race team now, but for her it's still more about skiing with other people her age than it is about learning - though there's surprisingly little socializing now. Helicopter parents do their best to ruin it for all the younger kids.

If she'd been more into progression than people we would have done things differently.

SkiSchoolPros

Impact Ecosystem- ie.Money with Meaning
Skier
I agree about the social aspect for most kids...I think one reason the Max 4 product at Vail has become so popular is that it allows for socializing, but ensures that the group will not be too big (which can lead to extra wait time, less skiing and less personal attention from the instructor). Also, because it is a premium product, rookie instructors usually don't get assigned to it.

I assume one of your dates is around X-mas- group lesson sizes can be large and rookie instructors have very little experience this early in the season.My recommendation would be to look for a small group or semi-private product like Max 4. This worked well for him at Vail, so why not stick to it? If this is not available go for the regular group lessons but keep in mind that many resorts will allow you to upgrade to a private even if you pre-purchased multi-day group lessons. If you and your little man feel the need to go the private route, don't be shy about asking the cert level of the instructor (or even seeing if a few of the kids that were in his group lesson and skied at his level want to split the cost of a private).

Enjoy!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At Winter park, even during Presidents’ Day week, our kids often end up in a group of 2-4(counting themselves) anyway, even though to up to 6 on the specs. It just seems like there aren’t that many kids taking lessons after the very first basic lesson.

I would not do private lessons. Most 5 year olds don’t want to spend the day with a strange adult as their only company.

If it’s very busy, the MAX4 might be good, but as I said, we always get regular ones and have not had 6 kids in a group for several years.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Small group.
I've taught one 5 yearold who actually enjoyed being in a private more than a group (she was somehow related to Ted Ligity and we bonded over the fact that I wish I could ski like him). I taught a 4 year old never ever who's dad hung out for almost the entire lesson but fortunately was super fun go have around and didn't get in the way. He was looking to learn how to ski with his daughter as much as he was looking to introduce her to skiing.
The social aspect of skiing as a kid is HUGE.

Sponsor

Staff online