• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was a dual ski race that had a gate that dropped to start. Timing the start is a skill. Photo finishes are fun and definitive. Parallel GS should have a start gun, gate or timing line (sailing) so the finish is a photo finish. Make a race a race.

Eric

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
The two man bobsled (if you don't already know) tied gold for Canada & Germany. Skiing has not been ever without a tie as well and while I don't get to follow it, Id assume these things may have happened in world cup competitions too. And I can recall occasional medal ties in other sports through the years not just for gold but also sliver and bronze. Rare things but does happen.

But anyway it got me thinking should they go to the next decimal or not? I kind of like the tie for gold (or any medal) to be honest. I think it holds good sportsmanship when teams of the same medal congratulate each other and two different countries share the same glory moment together. But I can also see how there should only be one winner of each. I mean that's what sports at the highest levels is. Its a winner (or not) and a second and so on.

But if they start going from 100ths of a sec to thousands of a sec can we really say one beat the next if its only by 1-1thousands of a sec? And what. if that ties? Do we then go to the 10 thousands of a sec? We actually have the tech to do that. Though I'd have to think with the rare times this happens now that if it went to thousands it would never happen and if it did then so be it.

But there is also something to be said for conditions between first runners vs last runners too and certainly when precipitaition may be falling in an event so there is all kinds of things that may or may not be totally fair anyway. But a clock is a clock and at least for that there is nothing to skew it. So should they bring the extra decimal or not. As saidI like the idea of sharing something all that close. But if it were me and I beat you at something Ive worked all my life at by a thousands of a sec then I might feel I should get that win I deserve. So I honestly don't know what the right answer should be.
No. Not in my view.

If you’re tied when going to hundreds of a second, you’re tied.

I agree with you there’s something noble about the tie. It’s a good thing in my opinion.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
I saw one of the speedskating events they had a tie at hundredths and were able to drill deeper in to the clock to thousandths to break the tie. I think with the cumulative aspect of bobsled they would have had to go back and take all of everyones' other runs also to the thousandths then re add them. It's not as simple as just looking at each of their final runs at that level. with cumulative runs added.

I guess it depends on how often after three runs added up there is still a tie down to hundredths? Sounds like a solution looking for a problem most of the time.
This is not how it works. Whn tied on the clock, a photo decides.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
The two man bobsled (if you don't already know) tied gold for Canada & Germany. Skiing has not been ever without a tie as well and while I don't get to follow it, Id assume these things may have happened in world cup competitions too. And I can recall occasional medal ties in other sports through the years not just for gold but also sliver and bronze. Rare things but does happen.

But anyway it got me thinking should they go to the next decimal or not? I kind of like the tie for gold (or any medal) to be honest. I think it holds good sportsmanship when teams of the same medal congratulate each other and two different countries share the same glory moment together. But I can also see how there should only be one winner of each. I mean that's what sports at the highest levels is. Its a winner (or not) and a second and so on.

But if they start going from 100ths of a sec to thousands of a sec can we really say one beat the next if its only by 1-1thousands of a sec? And what. if that ties? Do we then go to the 10 thousands of a sec? We actually have the tech to do that. Though I'd have to think with the rare times this happens now that if it went to thousands it would never happen and if it did then so be it.

But there is also something to be said for conditions between first runners vs last runners too and certainly when precipitaition may be falling in an event so there is all kinds of things that may or may not be totally fair anyway. But a clock is a clock and at least for that there is nothing to skew it. So should they bring the extra decimal or not. As saidI like the idea of sharing something all that close. But if it were me and I beat you at something Ive worked all my life at by a thousands of a sec then I might feel I should get that win I deserve. So I honestly don't know what the right answer should be.
Interesting idea but the limitation lies in the accuracy of the clocks, the sensors used, etc. 0.01 is as accurate as you can get at this point. Adding 1/1000 would suggest an measurement accuracy that just is not there. That means that difference in outcomes at a 1/1000 level may well be attribute to measurement errors and not by performance differences. That is not what we are after.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
They cannot be hacked. They are not connected to the internet and work with sensors.

That is simply another hurdle to get past. They use computers and sensors, both of which can be hacked. Also many timing systems are connected to the internet in order to provide live updates to fans. Speaking from experience, all hell breaks loose if parents can’t get their kids times immediately on race day!

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Speaking from experience, all hell breaks loose if parents can’t get their kids times immediately on race day!

LOL we’ve all been there. If I had problem or forgot to turn it on, I would usually have a very angry person let me know it wasn’t working. It’s especially hard somewhere that doesn’t have cell service. Some places it’s blocked by a corporate firewall.

Sponsor

Staff online