• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Shipping Two Pairs Skis and One Pair Boots with Ski Bag.

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
Howdy. I'm headed to Colorado for some skiing next month. I plan to ship my gear with Ship Skis. I used the same company to ship my gear to the Germany last year. It was easy enough, that it was worth the extra money.

This year I have an extra pair of skis. Packing the 2nd pair is kind of tricky. The skis are 188cm and 191cm and my boots are 30/30.5 (Size 14 shoes). I found the only way it works, realistically, is to lay one pair of skis flat and then two stand the other pair on their edges, but with the shovels facing in the opposite direction. The boots fit in between. You can see them in the pic.

I'm probably overly-concerned, but does anyone see a problem with this layout? I have a Douchebag, which is fairly durable. I could ship the boots separately, but it would cost more.

skiGear.jpg

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Howdy. I'm headed to Colorado for some skiing next month. I plan to ship my gear with Ship Skis. I used the same company to ship my gear to the Germany last year. It was easy enough, that it was worth the extra money.

This year I have an extra pair of skis. Packing the 2nd pair is kind of tricky. The skis are 188cm and 191cm and my boots are 30/30.5 (Size 14 shoes). I found the only way it works, realistically, is to lay one pair of skis flat and then two stand the other pair on their edges, but with the shovels facing in the opposite direction. The boots fit in between. You can see them in the pic.

I'm probably overly-concerned, but does anyone see a problem with this layout? I have a Douchebag, which is fairly durable. I could ship the boots separately, but it would cost more.

View attachment 222880
I travel with two pairs of skis from time to time (long haul flights between Australia and Japan). No problems. I do tape up my edges with masking tape, and when I have two pairs, I bubble wrap around the binding area. Finally, I take my boots as carry on, and have never packed them.

My big point of difference is I pack all my ski wear and après clothing in the bag with the skis, which acts as protection, and also minimises movement of the skis within the bag (bumping into each other). The masking tape prevents edge cuts to my clothing and weighs next to nothing.

Anyway, with that explanation, I do it all the time.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is the layout that db wants you to use.
It is not ideal if you have highly tuned skis, as they are not secured so will bang against each other unless you to you do a lot of extra work (and time!) to protect the edges.
It is fine for recreational or freeride skis that don't mind getting banged up and edges are not razor sharp
This is my biggest complaint on the db that there are no tiedowns.
If you fill the space with gear to keep things in place like they want you to, you will likely exceed the 50lb baggage weight limits for flights. So another knock that this is ill conceived

For OP, if they are shipping, maybe weight limit is not important, but still if there is nothing in the gap above the bindings use a cardboard box or something similar to provide blocking/bracing so it keep all the skis in place. I personally also deploy beach towels for cushioning and protections.

You will want to also pack extra brake straps(rubber bands), or rope/twine in case your brake straps break or go missing. Finally I use a cheap utility keychain style carbineer for the handle so if it is detached it will not be lost.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh the layout of your boots looks a little weird. If you're going to interlock the boots, 69 them.

TS
RollingLeaf

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
The last time I shipped my gear, I got bubble wrap on the bindings. Using cardboard is a good idea. I'll be 69ing the boots. I wondered most about the shovels and whether they'd more susceptible to damage. But it noticed the base of the DB is more durable than the top. The downside of shipping with a ski bag via Ship Skis is the insist you don't pack clothing in the bag.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
The last time I shipped my gear, I got bubble wrap on the bindings. Using cardboard is a good idea. I'll be 69ing the boots. I wondered most about the shovels and whether they'd more susceptible to damage. But it noticed the base of the DB is more durable than the top. The downside of shipping with a ski bag via Ship Skis is the insist you don't pack clothing in the bag.
Oh, I also put socks over the tips and tails of my skis…

Weird they request no clothes. Maybe do bubble wrap there instead? Indeed with no clothes in there I’d go hard on bubble wrap generally.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Work an old towel around the tips.
I've used my ski pants wrapped around my spouses skis to protect her edges, so if packing clothes maybe an option. I just slide em in one leg, and out the other.

It's the only time I can do the splits ... :roflmao:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I NEVER pack my boots, they are ALWAYS my carry on. I can lose my skis, but I cannot lose my boots.
forget who but hasn't someone here wear them onto the plane?

agreed though, carry on for boots better but I don't really recall a shipping company failing if sent early, verses trusting the airline and regular baggage.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm probably overly-concerned, but does anyone see a problem with this layout? I have a Douchebag, which is fairly durable. I could ship the boots separately, but it would cost more

FYI,

If you have an Ikon Pass, they offer a 10% discount with Ship Skis ... I recall they have a one time coupon code somewhere in one's account.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@RollingLeaf ,

if interested I checked into the IKON 10% off discount for Ship Skis, they said one can pass this onto others.

PM me if you haven't an Ikon or know someone who can give you their discount.

TS
RollingLeaf

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for checking. I do have the IKON pass. I’m going to check with the people @ ShipSkis tomorrow and see if I can use it after purchase.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious…when u guys ship skis/assuming if u are staying at a hotel/lodge, etc…u ship them to that location…(the lodging holds them for you?/do they charge you a storage fee?/how long will they hold them for you?) Do you always ship them to arrive a day early as your arrival/ so you know they are there upon ur arrival?

What if you are staying at a VRBO/AirBB house/location….how does that work? They ship them to the house address?/ and just leave them there?….but where else would they ship them too? If they arrive early, do u have to have somebody get them for you?

Never used the service/ but interested in learning the procedure….

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Go to the shipskis website, they explain all that. Basically, you need to pre-arrange with the destination, IF they can accept and store them until your arrival. The other option is to some place like a UPS Store, IF they accept and hold shipments.

A lot of IFs...need to do some homework before assuming it will work for your situation

TS
RollingLeaf

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
This year I’m shipping from one Fedex store to another. My Vacasa condo doesn’t allow shipments. The Fedex store I’m shipping to holds your skis for 5 days.

Last year, I shipped to my hotel in Munich, before driving to the slopes in Austria. The hotel was good about holding my gear, despite it arriving early.

For the return I left my gear at my hotel in Bamberg, DE and DHL picked it up.

Maybe European hotels are more accommodating in this regard. I’m guessing an American hotel would be helpful if it had the space.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot of slopeside resorts and hotels have baggage hold, as they know a lot of their guests want to ski the day they check out. So the more of a ski destination, the more likely they will hold bags. If it is a nice resort, they will even have pool/hot tub/gym area that has a shower. So if you ask appropriately, they will give you afternoon access to shower up and change in the lockers and repack all your gear before your flight out

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online