• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shacklton's Endurance

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Years ago there was a really good book written about the expedition that was a pretty fascinating read.

I think it was this one - Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition

The info about the photographer was something I found particularly interesting, as I recall.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It's a tremendous story. Amazing.

I actually heard of it in graduate school in course on leadership, 45 years ago. The local maritime museum had an amazing exhibit on Shackleton, replica boats, etc. a few years ago. The story of his crew's trust in him is amazing.

I bought the book detailing the voyage for my son on his 14th birthday. He wrote his senior honors thesis in college on Shackleton.

Re: finding the Endurance. the condition, preserved by such cold water.....also amazing.

Two thumbs up, or more!!!!!

Thanks for posting, @Tricia!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

It's a tremendous story. Amazing.

Yep. His achievement is far greater than what he actually set out to do.

an amazing exhibit on Shackleton, replica boats, etc. a few years ago.

I was just talking to someone about those boats - as we were staring out at a river with two-foot whitecaps and he didn't want to put in.

The story of his crew's trust in him is amazing.
I wish more would talk about his previous expeditions tho - specifically the one to the glacier that bears his name, that Scott used to climb to the plateau.

Re: finding the Endurance. the condition, preserved by such cold water.....also amazing.

3008 meters. Just short of 300 atmospheres pressure :geek:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another news story about it.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ANYBODY who wants to know more; is interested in adventure, leadership, or expeditioning; or who just wants a nail-biting read, should get the Alfred Lansing book: Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.
There are others, like the one referenced above, but I believe the Lansing book might be one of the greatest expedition books ever written.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
ANYBODY who wants to know more; is interested in adventure, leadership, or expeditioning; or who just wants a nail-biting read, should get the Alfred Lansing book: Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.
There are others, like the one referenced above, but I believe the Lansing book might be one of the greatest expedition books ever written.

or completely carb-free diets :geek:

Powder High

Getting off the lift
Skier
Alfred Lansing book: Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.

Agree totally. Don't waste your time with any other version.

Shackleton was the kind of person whose tremendous strength and leadership only shows itself in the most extreme of circumstances. And it did. In the most hopeless and horrible situation imaginable, what he accomplished is just incredible.

He didn't lose a man.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I mentioned above learning of him in graduate school. The professor gave us all a copy of Lansing's book {It was first published around 1960?}, and told us to read it over the Thanksgiving break. Wwe were used to plowing through a lot of written material and my sense was that everybody read it cover to cover, and some of us read it TWICE over that break. Then....we had about three classes where we had some incredible discussion about his sacrificial leadership, and how his entire crew believed in him.

It would be an great novel, the fact that it's a true story is simply amazing.

Sponsor

Staff online