• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Saying you do something well ... modestly.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This came to me when I was reading this thread.

How do you say you do something well without being boastful?

Like with skiing ....

"I can get on and off the list unassisted"

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it's called the Humble Brag and I'm rather well practiced at it.:P
humble brag.jpg

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
If complimented, I deny any natural talent by saying, "I've been working on that and after all these years, it's finally starting to come together."

Is it bragging to call yourself "intermediate?" On good days, I have been known to opine that I'm an advancing intermediate, but steep bumps shut my mouth pretty quickly.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I usually say I manage my way down the mountain or I manage to stay vertical. I do get a bit animated when the topic of powder or soft bumps comes up. I'll never say I'm excellent but hot damn it sure it fun. When it comes to disc golf I'll usually just say I like to throw disc's and drink beer so it's a great day any time that happens.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Skiing: "I may be a flail-er, but I can side slip or traverse my way out of just about anywhere".

Other stuff: Most people don't know this about me but I am pretty good at exceeding my authority in many situations.

Also: When in an intense discussion/argument most people initially underestimate me, but then realize their mistake and end up asking if I ever considered becoming a lawyer. ($10 for every time someone asked that could have paid for law school :ogbiggrin:).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the other hand, when people ask if I play golf, I answer "I own clubs." That is NOT humble bragging. It just means I have a set of clubs comfortably sleeping in the back corner of the basement.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
On the other hand, when people ask if I play golf, I answer "I own clubs." That is NOT humble bragging. It just means I have a set of clubs comfortably sleeping in the back corner of the basement.
Growing up in Florida it was water sports and golf. I got pretty good too - consistent low 80s when I was playing three days a week. But I never called myself good. Good to me is scratch. When I moved west I brought my clubs, but in 20+ years never used them once. Since moving back east I've played occasionally. What I've realized is that I never really liked golf all that much, and I only play now because I enjoy the company. So if anybody asks I tell them I play once or twice a month and that pretty much tells anyone who matters what they need to know.

When people ask me if I'm a good skier I tell them I love skiing and leave it at that.

Sponsor

Staff online