• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I keep my edges sharp, and I've never planed a sidewall. A bit of plastic in the file teeth has been no problem. I sharpen just enough to remove the minimum amount of steel to get a sharp edge. I've never ended the life of a ski by filing the edges so much that the edge is disappearing. Some skiers with many more ski days than I put in do consume skis that way.

I'm a western skier, and I like 3° sides. On powder skis, less acute angles means less of a divot is taken out when a rock is hit, so those get 2°. 1° base on the powder skis and 0.7° base on the carvers. I started at 1° feathered to 0.7° for the first foot at the tip and last half-foot on the tail, but now just stay at 0.7° all the way. Just a bit grabby until I get the feel for them, then nice.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Here in the east, skis will be done when the edge is gone, or you don't do very well on icy days.
The first clue that I needed a sidewall planer was when my stones wouldn't give me a sharp edge. My second clue was when my files gummed up. That's when I realized the ski's sidewall was preventing proper sharpening with my edge guide. I used a panzar file with a 6 or 7 degree guide. It sort of made a nasty job of my top sheet though, so I think it's probably best to get a good edge planing tool now; it's time to remove some more sidewall so I can file again. The secret to enjoying high performance turns on rock-hard ice is sharp edges. Bonus: if you forget your razor, you can still shave.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I know there are no stupid questons just stupid people but I am not sure about this. I just bought new skis online and I am formulating a plan to get the initial set-up correct. I bought 2016 Dynastar Glory 84 (needs 2 degree side edge) and Head Monster 83 (needs 3 degree). The steps so far are 1. check base flatness 2. plane sidewall. Do I need to plane the sidewalls of these skis? Is sidewall planing more for race skis or well-filed edges. I could just start filing and if there is plastic in the file, then I need to plane but that would not be ideal. would rather know as I am compiling a list of tools I will need to accomplish these tasks. I don't have a sidewall planer but know which one I will get http://www.racewax.com/toko-world-cup-file-medium-cut-8-inch/.

Cheers

Yea, as said above by many you need to sidewall plane before any side edge work. It's not a racing thing, it's about getting a clean cut on the edge with the file.
Google this and have fun! It's a basic tuning series. "How To, New Ski Tuning & Base Preparation Part 1 " Good luck

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can't tell from the pictures, but in general I always find it's easier to get the edge if I remove some edge material first. I use a 7 degree guide with a small panzar file. Cheap alternative to a sidewall planar.

If you run a stone down the existing edge with the proper angle guide you will know in a minute whether any material needs to be removed. Your stone will get filled with edge material rather than polish the edge if there is too much material there,
Where do I purchase 7degree file guide? I only found one place and its out of stock (Tognar or raceplace I think). Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Where do I purchase 7degree file guide? I only found one place and its out of stock (Tognar or raceplace I think). Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I just use a 5 and hold it a little crooked. I'm just going to file the edge at 3 degrees anyway, so it doesn't need to be perfect, just needs to make room for my 3 degree file.

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
In my previous post I meant the "artechski" 7degree planer. It's not available to buy. The other has $10 shipping. I just bought the cheapest one I could find on amazon for $32. I will use this only very occassionally, unfortunately, so cheap should do me fine. Thanks for the recommendations, I really appreciate it. I would buy the beast one if I could find for free shipping. Cheers

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm more comfortable with maintaining the edge bevels once set by a competent shop. They cut back the sidewall for you. My GS cheaters came new with 1/3 and my all mountain skis are 1/2. Last year I had the shop stone grind my wife's skis and increase the bevel from 1/2 to 1/3, and she is very happy with them.

Last year at Blue Mtn the trails were very cruddy when I visited. I had just one day when the GS cheaters came out and stayed out. My wider skis were just more fun on the other days. May be it was too warm overnight to groom the slopes?

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm neither.
Don't let the acronym intimidate you.
Oh my bad, I thought this was you:
mostInterestinMan.png

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That was so day before yesterday.

Brown Santa bought this yesterday. Christmas came early.
I have about 20 pairs of ski on the wall. Gotta do something to burn off the turkey.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
THIS! I use the 7degree guide with a panzer for all my race skis. I have used a variety of sidewall planers and TBH, been pretty underwhelmed with most of them so keep going back to the 7 degree tool. Simple and it works.

And personally I would not bother with a 2 degree edge even in the West. All my skis are 3 degrees, including powder skis. only exception is slaloms at 4 degrees...
THIS!!!

I have owned numerous planers:
BEST SIDEWALL PLANER.......
3148.jpg

FK-SKS Pro Sidewall Planer!

Last edited:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use the Artech 7 Degree Side Edge File guide and a 100mm Panzer. And it is available on Artech for $32.00. It works well. And Kinggrump's SVST at 6 degrees (with shim) should work just fine. But I also use the FK-SKS planer after the 7 degree panzer.

Then I go to a 100MM panzer, 1 degree over my final edge angle (It's called back filing) So if my final edge angle is 3 degrees, after dealing with the side edge I use a 4 degree and make a couple of passes and then go to 3 with a Holmenkol non-chromed 13 TPC 100mm file. And then Diamond stones.

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I use the Artech 7 Degree Side Edge File guide and a 100mm Panzer. And it is available on Artech for $32.00. It works well. And Kinggrump's SVST at 6 degrees (with shim) should work just fine. But I also use the FK-SKS planer after the 7 degree panzer.

Then I go to a 100MM panzer, 1 degree over my final edge angle (It's called back filing) So if my final edge angle is 3 degrees, after dealing with the side edge I use a 4 degree and make a couple of passes and then go to 3 with a Holmenkol non-chromed 13 TPC 100mm file. And then Diamond stones.
How does back filing work? I googled and didn't see anything. Cheers

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
How does back filing work? I googled and didn't see anything. Cheers
Exactly as I have described it in the post

After Sidewall planing and 7 degree with a panzer you go 1 degree over the final edge angle (It's called back filing) So if my final edge angle is 3 degrees, after dealing with the side wall, I use a 4 degree and make a couple of passes and then go to 3 with a Holmenkol, non-chromed 13 TPC 100mm file.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
As a comprehensive primer, these video clips will help you through the process...

Sponsor

Staff online