• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pump Tracks

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This article in my old neck of the woods made me wonder how popular Pump Tracks are.
https://www.traverseticker.com/news/pump-track-under-consideration-as-potential-new-garfield-park/
iu-1.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That looks like a nice one!

There's one at Valmont Bike Park. Two I think at the Park City Trailside park. I've seen small ones at the bases of Winter Park and Keystone.

It does seem like there are frequently very little kids - like on Striders - in them. I suspect that's because they can't stray far from the parent's eye - but eep! It's a tight environment, and four year olds do NOT have spatial awareness, let alone the ability to understand "on your left."

VBP has a "Tot track" specifically for little ones. You also see little ones on all the trails, but that's less disruptive than on the pump tracks, IMO.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So we have this right in west end Toronto on the lakefront..
Sunnyside-BMX-park109-700x466.jpg
I pass by this every day on the way to and from work
When someone is about to hit the big jump, it can stop traffic dead on the Gardiner Expressway (visible top right) . I'm not sure that this was the best location for this track!!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are another couple of pics of the park
1bwPVL_SunnysideBikePark6_0718_Gallery.jpg
sunnyside-park.jpg

And they also have a baby pump track for the little guys ( and gals)

Sunnyside-BMX-park85-700x466.jpg
img_1639.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So, to be clear, a pump track is distinct from a park in general ... Jumps are not a pump track. I've never seen a pump track made out of anything but dirt, but I can see how that would hold up over time.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier

There's one at Valmont Bike Park. Two I think at the Park City Trailside park. I've seen small ones at the bases of Winter Park and Keystone.

It does seem like there are frequently very little kids - like on Striders - in them. I suspect that's because they can't stray far from the parent's eye - but eep! It's a tight environment, and four year olds do NOT have spatial awareness, let alone the ability to understand "on your left."

VBP has a "Tot track" specifically for little ones. You also see little ones on all the trails, but that's less disruptive than on the pump tracks, IMO.

VPB actually has three pump tracks. One tot track (two if you count the little paved one by the playground), one small one by the XS and S jumps and then another longer one up top by the Penitentiary. And yep, I've taken my kid on a Strider bike on all of those. For all but the tot one, I make sure to pull him out if someone is actually using it as intended, but honestly I've only seen like 2-3 adults in all my time there on the bottom pump track (caveat that I tend to go midweek during the work day so I'm sure that factors in). The lower pump track is pretty small so I think thats why it tends to be more kids, as I mentioned I rarely see adults in there because the turns are pretty tight. I did see one guy shredding it up the other day, I took U to the jumps to let the dude have the whole thing to himself. The upper pump track seems to be used more by adults, its a lot longer than the lower one and I think most parents don't take their kids up there because you have to go up the big hill to get to it, but that one is also a little more complicated and people tend to wait to drop into it and form a queue. We only use that one if no adults are up there using it.

For the most part, most other parents I have met at the bike park are either bikers themselves or at least are aware of how dangerous a place it can be, and very mindful of keeping their kids from putting others and themselves in danger. I know that I may seem overly hands on at the bike park, but I always make sure that my son is going in the correct direction of the pump track, waiting for slower riders or at least passing them with a safe margin and giving other people lots of space. It can be hard because he's only three, but he will do the pump track 9/10 in the correct direction but as soon as another kid messes up the order of the turns its like he forgets the correct way and then ends up wandering across the track and I have to pull him out.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
VPB actually has three pump tracks. One tot track (two if you count the little paved one by the playground), one small one by the XS and S jumps and then another longer one up top by the Penitentiary. And yep, I've taken my kid on a Strider bike on all of those. For all but the tot one, I make sure to pull him out if someone is actually using it as intended, but honestly I've only seen like 2-3 adults in all my time there on the bottom pump track (caveat that I tend to go midweek during the work day so I'm sure that factors in). The lower pump track is pretty small so I think thats why it tends to be more kids, as I mentioned I rarely see adults in there because the turns are pretty tight. I did see one guy shredding it up the other day, I took U to the jumps to let the dude have the whole thing to himself. The upper pump track seems to be used more by adults, its a lot longer than the lower one and I think most parents don't take their kids up there because you have to go up the big hill to get to it, but that one is also a little more complicated and people tend to wait to drop into it and form a queue. We only use that one if no adults are up there using it.

For the most part, most other parents I have met at the bike park are either bikers themselves or at least are aware of how dangerous a place it can be, and very mindful of keeping their kids from putting others and themselves in danger. I know that I may seem overly hands on at the bike park, but I always make sure that my son is going in the correct direction of the pump track, waiting for slower riders or at least passing them with a safe margin and giving other people lots of space. It can be hard because he's only three, but he will do the pump track 9/10 in the correct direction but as soon as another kid messes up the order of the turns its like he forgets the correct way and then ends up wandering across the track and I have to pull him out.

Yup - I definitely don't mean to say all parents do this - but I have seen questionable behavior sometimes. TBH the last time I was on a pump track was in Park City, and it definitely seemed to me that the parents were being a little too casual. At the same time, the kids have just as much a right to the terrain as anyone else ... I think? It's like kids on ski slopes. You want them to be there, and also they just don't have the situational awareness that you would absolutely demand from an adult in the same situation.

Honestly, it's kind of amazing to me that at 3yo U can keep it mostly straight ... but I didn't learn to ride a bike till I was 8, so ...

kimmyt

Skier
Honestly, it's kind of amazing to me that at 3yo U can keep it mostly straight ... but I didn't learn to ride a bike till I was 8, so ...

LOL you should come to the bike park with us some day! He would love to ride one of the easy skills loops with you!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

The Wellington Bike Park in Breck has a great pump track! Better design than the ones at VBP in my opinion.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
LOL you should come to the bike park with us some day! He would love to ride one of the easy skills loops with you!

Sure, I'd like that! I've been too lazy to drive to Boulder just to ride the park. You'll give me a better motivation :)

The Wellington Bike Park in Breck has a great pump track! Better design than the ones at VBP in my opinion.

I should check it out!

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
Truckee, CA has the most amazing pump track and skills park that I've ever seen or heard of. In addition to the (dirt) pump track, it has progression ladder-drops, flow runs with berms and table-tops, a dual slalom course, dirt jump section..and I think it's connected to a cross-country trail network, but I was having too much fun in the skills park to check it out. To address the original question, though, I was there for a few hours and the pump track was only ever used by little kids. The older riders and adults were on all of the other features in big numbers, but didn't seem interested in the pump track.

kimmyt

Skier
The upper pump track had a few adults in it, all cyclocrossers as there was apparently some sort of cyclocross event going on. The lower one had a few today too, but there were just a few people there so no crowds or anything.

TgVD89H.jpg

@Monique and my kiddo on the upper pump track. She wore him out!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
"I'm chasing you!"

*giggle* "Nooooo!" *little legs push the strider faster*

Sponsor

Staff online