• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Props to Killington for pulling the season passes of 3 "sponsored" skiers

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Something similar happened back at Blue Mountain years ago. Near the bottom of Challenger there was a lip that kids were jumping off of. Patrol was waiting at the bottom and pulling passes. There was no sign at the top, "No Jumping". I went to the patroller and read him a wrath. "If you don't want the kids to jump, put a sigh up, stand there and stop them, don't wait at the bottom and pull their tickets, that's chicken shit".

Doesn't it depend what behaviour they are trying to influence when? What is more likely to make you think carefully about speeding in your car and make better decisions- a cruiser lit up like a Xmas tree visible well in advance positioned periodically or a cop with a speedgun hidden behind a bush?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today’s WROD update- someone apparently left the trail w such speed to not be found for hours & break both legs.

#BeastStupidity
After reading this, I went looking for an official statement on Killington's supposedly new speed or safety patrol and could find nothing. If they are currently out there with a two WROD resort, you think they would be able to control this behavior. Just another reason we don't ski weekends now that we are retired.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure anything about the open letter will be filed anywhere other than the too hard/ don't care pile by anyone in a position to improve slope safety and/or ambassadors chosen for the good behaviours they model.

I can sort of see it from brands' perspectives. There's more than enough levels of hook up and favour in the industry. Unreasonable to expect most to know too much about many who end up "repping" their product in some way. Plus notoriety sells in the right segments of course.

Plus marketing in the ski industry is a fantasy game anyway. Ikon's Donny Pelletier vids are fun but they're also role modelling what would be quite appalling behaviour by copycats on the WROD who didn't get the joke. So when a kid thinks I can do that and destroys himself and others do Alterra hold some of the blame?
Ohh I totally agree on the Donny Pelletier stuff! Sunday River often posts stuff with him in the winter and I just cringe. I 100% feel if they are going to do that they need to add dome disclaimer for the copy cats. Last year a parent posted a video in a Sunday River Enthusiasts group of their young son skiing like Donny straight down White Heat. Except he was not in control, but luckily the slope was pretty empty. I thought there would be some bad responses, but no.. all of the commenters seemed to get a big kick out of it and found it cute and funny. All I could think of was not wanting to be on a double black trail with the kids who think it’s okay to ski completely out of control straight lining in the backseat.. and the idiotic parents encouraging and recording it! I see it at Sunday River at times, but last year I went to Wachusett one night and I swear I was the only one making turns with like one other person there. Everyone else was straight lining and trying to race down the trails that way, flying by me and sometimes coming very close even on near empty trails. It was extremely unnerving, I was really confused as to what was going on because it was so wide spread. I don’t often go to Wachusett at night, but I have and had never seen this before. It was bad enough that I am not sure I’ll go again. And ski patrol etc was skiing on the mountain and never said one word to anyone, that I saw. Completely baffling behavior.. and terrifying that these kids might take that behavior to bigger steeper mountains and try to “ski” that way there. I think it was Beaver Creek that has a bunch of signs on their slopes saying “No Straightlining” .. I was surprised about it being necessary until that night at Wachusett last year. Then I thought, they need some signs!

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
After reading this, I went looking for an official statement on Killington's supposedly new speed or safety patrol and could find nothing. If they are currently out there with a two WROD resort, you think they would be able to control this behavior. Just another reason we don't ski weekends now that we are retired.

I will say this ( as not a fan of skiing Killington ), I get to travel / work at a lot of resorts and K seems to be leading the industry. They shut crossovers, created tunnels, re-worked parking, built a new lodge, have a great Ambassador program and have rethought the new skiers' experience. I have faith that their speed / safety effort will come thru as well.

The issue is that the hand that feeds also bits at K. I was uncomfortable when 5 drunk guys hopped into K1 w/ me in their tighty-whiteites 15 years ago. Now that I have kids, no freaking way would I feel that my daughters should be subjected to that.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 215085

^ this was sent to me earlier this morning. Let’s see if he changes his profile.
That is still his profile as of today. "TASTE DEATH, LIVE LIFE". Nice. Maybe do it where your tastes for death don't potentially involve hundreds of other people.

I have so many stories from over the years, including watching my teeny tiny daughter in lessons. One near-miss I witnessed from the chairlift at Mammoth as I watched her group do the kiddy conga line on a green run. A kid came FLYING down a runout and went between her and the kid in front of her. If I had been on a span lower than I was, I swear I would have jumped off the lift and gone after the guy. I often wonder if it's worth it anymore. When are the odds no longer in your favor?

I think that until the resorts band together and blatantly and publicly enforce unsafe skiing and riding THAT ENDANGERS OTHERS, nothing will change. Kind of like known speed traps or towns with speed traps--if folks know that X resort will pull your pass for certain activities endangering others especially in busy zones, I think this behavior would stop.

Doesn't help that turning on skis is now out of style.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Doesn't help that turning on skis is now out of style.
IMG_0213.jpeg

I’m doing my best to change that.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn't it depend what behaviour they are trying to influence when? What is more likely to make you think carefully about speeding in your car and make better decisions- a cruiser lit up like a Xmas tree visible well in advance positioned periodically or a cop with a speedgun hidden behind a bush?
This is an interesting question. You are trying to suggest that if you never know when you're going to get nabbed you might just drive more slowly all the time, rather than only slowing down when you see a cop. Is that right?

I suppose Phil's point was that kids on the hill - unlike licensed drivers - might not actually know that they're not supposed to be jumping off x spot, or might have conveniently forgotten it in their youthful exuberance. In that case the goal would be to preclude a known hazard in a specific spot, and the "cruiser lit up like a Xmas tree" might be the appropriate measure.

In other words, each enforcement tactic probably has its place.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have to bring up the other side of this coin, the premise of false accusations. I can't count how many times I've been approached and falsely accused of "endangering" others. Over my many years skiing I've noted that it happens MUCH less if I keep my mask up, covering my face. I remember one time in particular at a resort in Tahoe during the spring, that I was screamed at by a lady in front of a full crowd at the outdoor bar, when a less melanated skier standing right next to me was the actual offender that cut her off and almost made her crash. I was well behind her when I witnessed the close encounter.
I calmly tried to explain this but........ it was traumatic and an experience I remember like it was yesterday...... she was poking me w/ her pole then w/ her finger after she took off her skis... I ended up apologizing for her experience but denying culpability. In other words employing de-escalation techniques.

Now when the false accusations happen, we employ Wifey in "Karen" mode... it never fails! They back off QUICK!

When solo, out of fear I generally suck it up bec if ski patrol or police enter into the equation and no Wifey... need I say more... :dig:
This is one of the primary reasons I generally actively seek out remote, uncrowded resorts, ski off piste and prefer intense storm days when the Tourists from out of town are indoors, can't make it up or can't ski the deep.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
This is an interesting question. You are trying to suggest that if you never know when you're going to get nabbed you might just drive more slowly all the time, rather than only slowing down when you see a cop. Is that right?

I suppose Phil's point was that kids on the hill - unlike licensed drivers - might not actually know that they're not supposed to be jumping off x spot, or might have conveniently forgotten it in their youthful exuberance. In that case the goal would be to preclude a known hazard in a specific spot, and the "cruiser lit up like a Xmas tree" might be the appropriate measure.

In other words, each enforcement tactic probably has its place.

Totally agree with this. Phil's approach works for initial education etc but might only modify behaviour in the time window in which it is deployed. But the "sneakier" enforcement is better for longer term deterence , provided of course that the enforcer continues to do enough of it to make it a credible risk.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Kind of like known speed traps or towns with speed traps-
Tonopah, NV. Speed limit through town is 25. Not 26, not 27. Word is out and most people go about 23 or 24 just to be sure.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But the "sneakier" enforcement is better for longer term deterence
I don't know that I'd agree with that. Or rather, maybe that's only true if there's also sufficient up front education and signage about the rules in the first place.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I don't know that I'd agree with that. Or rather, maybe that's only true if there's also sufficient up front education and signage about the rules in the first place.
Ah but now you're talking about the fairness of the policy rather than the deterrent effect unless you're suggesting that the make enforcement too OTT and people will just turn into scofflaws because they perceive the game is unwinnable.

It's a fair point. There's a 30mph camera on a sharp bend at the bottom of a hill near me leaving/ before entering a more built up area. It's position is such that the unwary can almost guarantee to be caught because of momentum on the steep downgrade, while it also stops early acceleration up the hill making it a difficult climb.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
unless you're suggesting that the make enforcement too OTT and people will just turn into scofflaws because they perceive the game is unwinnable.
Yep - I think that's what I'm suggesting. Enforcing things that people think are unfair or weren't warned about could create blowback and ignoring of rules, IMO.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I get you. But I think we are about as far from that risk in skiing safety as it is possible to get.

People are scofflaws skiing because there is no consequence. What's the worst that happens? A telling off from a yellow jacket who you may or may not pay any attention to.

Sponsor

Staff online