• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Powder Highway Advice - So Many Options, So Little Time

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Disagree that day heliski and cat operations necessarily suck. For example, we did 3 days at Eagle Pass Heliskiing in Revelstoke (the day operation rather than the lodge) last year and it was terrific. I have heard similar reports from RK Heliski from people I trust.

Eagle Pass has a pretty thorough vetting process in an effort to make sure everyone can handle their terrain. I suppose people could lie or even unintentionally overstate their abilities but that was not a problem at all during our trip.
Eagle Pass uses A-Star helicopters that have room for four clients. So if you have three other skilled skiers, you will have a great experience. Consider two powder skiers with two beginner skiers. The guides really struggle with day skiers. Three day programs are usually better than a one-off day trip from Revy.

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
So I live in the Okanagan. I've spent time at most of the mountains in BC and Alberta, except for Kicking Horse somehow, which I already know is going to be one of my favorites and plan to remedy this season.

If there's anything you want to know feel free to shoot me a pm. I don't recommend doing any large group cat/heli, you will only get a couple runs. Small group is the way to go, even if it is more expensive. Revelstoke has guided back country tours right from the resort and you can also rent gear there. There are much more expensive options available but it's a good way to get your feet wet in some decent terrain.

If you're doing Ikon pass the obvious trip for easiest travel is Banff, Lake Louise, Revelstoke, Sun Peaks. Or maybe you trade Sun Peaks for Panorama. If there's minimal price difference I'm flying to kelowna not Calgary, either way Revelstoke is the main attraction here so reserve the most days for there. There was a shuttle from the Kelowna airport to Revelstoke 2 years ago, I would be surprised if that has changed.

As someone that will probably never buy an Ikon pass and just wants the best ski trip, I'd do it a little different. Red Mountain, Whitewater, Revelstoke and Kicking Horse. That's my trip for best mix of terrain/snow, great little ski towns and not too much time in the car, hands down.

My wife loves Sun Peaks, as do I, for it's village and how big and empty it is outside of holidays. We've had some fantastic family getaways there, the food is great but this isn't where I'm going to chase my skiing dreams. Silver Star gets better snow than most other mountains but lacks terrain, is overpriced and busy on weekends/holidays.

The highway at golden is supposed to open up before ski season, I would imagine there is a lot of pressure to get that done.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Eagle Pass uses A-Star helicopters that have room for four clients. So if you have three other skilled skiers, you will have a great experience. Consider two powder skiers with two beginner skiers. The guides really struggle with day skiers. Three day programs are usually better than a one-off day trip from Revy.
Yes, but this was not a three day program but rather three single days booked consecutively with Eagle Pass' day heliskiing program. My group of 3 was paired up with one snowboarder from Calgary for one day and a skier from Seattle/Salt Lake for the other two days. We shared the helicopter with two other groups of 4 each day.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Silver Star

Suggested Silver Star 'cause the already chosen destinations are Revelstoke and Sun Peaks starting and finishing in Kelowna. SS is hardly a stone's throw outside the expected drive.

1666751775995.png

If I had to pick between SS and SP I probably wouldn't make that decision based on terrain variety (both just fine), pricing (didn't notice any real difference but guess that depends on what's being bought) nor weekend/holiday crowding. Makes perfect sense for an Ikon holder to go SP. But why not sample both?

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
Suggested Silver Star 'cause the already chosen destinations are Revelstoke and Sun Peaks starting and finishing in Kelowna. SS is hardly a stone's throw outside the expected drive.

View attachment 181376

If I had to pick between SS and SP I probably wouldn't make that decision based on terrain variety (both just fine), pricing (didn't notice any real difference but guess that depends on what's being bought) nor weekend/holiday crowding. Makes perfect sense for an Ikon holder to go SP. But why not sample both?
I did not see your post. From a travel standpoint it makes sense, for sure. I just don't think it's anything to write home about.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I haven't read this whole thread but have the powder highway on my bucket list.. here's an article I saved https://www.powderhounds.com/Canada/Powder-Highway.aspx

Highly recommend Revy @Olesya C and I flew from Vancouver (we skied Whistler) to Kelowna- rented a car, beautiful drive up to Revelstoke- great town- we stayed at a very nice B&B really close to the Mt. We hired a guide to get to the 'goods' on the Mt and had a fantastic trip the end of March- The bottom got mushy but the top got 5-8" almost every day we were there.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
write home

Guess it's different strokes for different folks. For the skiing I prefer SS to SP - typically more fresh snow and more variety of mogul runs.

This reminds me of a car trip my wife and I did through BC and into the Rockies a few summers back. We're Australian and we couldn't get over the magnificent vistas that would confront us around so many bends in the highway. They were so common there mostly wasn't even a place to stop to linger on the view.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I’ve done a couple trips on the Powder Highway both more than 10 years ago. First was a 3 week road trip in 2007 beginning in Utah. Grand Targhee, Missoula Snow Bowl, Fernie with a day of Cat skiing, Panorama with a day heli-skiing, Kicking Horse then back to Whitefish, Ski Discovery, Big Sky & home (was gonna hit Jackson Hole but it was snowing more in Utah).
Next was in 2009 when we flew to Cranbrook & rented a car for a few days in KH then over Rogers Pass for a few more in Revy. Both had good accessable touring/hiking terrain at the time. I don’t think you can go wrong wherever you go but I like KH best.
KH
100_0892.jpg

KH
100_0925.jpg

Revelstoke
100_1060.jpg

Revelstoke
100b1032.jpg

Last edited:

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier

View attachment 181376

I've decided to give Silver Star a shot. 3 days at Revelstoke, 1 at Silver Star and 2.5 days at Sun Peaks. Travel works well with a quick trip to SS, so it makes sense to check it out.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've skied Silver Star for about 40 years but I have never heard of Deer Park if thats the hill your referring to.

Is that in the glades on front side?
Silverr Star is a great hill for steep bumpy runs off Putman chair, enough for a different run all day.

Some might say they are fairly similar.
But they ski differently.

I find the only negative at Silver Star are the long flats to get to a few of the entrances off Putman Keep your speed up. Good wax, slip streaming or skating takes care of that. Same for exiting can be a lot of fun keeping up the speed on lower flats with inches between skis

Still my favorite in the Okanogan
Hotels in town are the closest to hill as you' get in the region. Apex is a close second.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How does someone get a car with snow tires out of Spokane? I’ve never seen a U.S. rental company offer this.
Not exactly sure…never actually rented out of Spokane. From comments and advice on driving, snow tires came up as necessary, which solicited my comment you quoted.

I would have guessed it would be an option from some companies (probably not all), but I haven’t tried, so can’t be sure. I would start by calling multiple rental companies directly (not just go thru their online reservation), and ask.

There are also options like renting through Turo, where its essentially an AirBnB for cars…so you have more say in exactly what you’re getting. Or just purchase a set of chains from Walmart and use them for the trip. If all else fails…renting a 4WD with good light duty truck tires may be sufficient.

I’d have to do more research before giving you a definitive answer.

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
When we flew into Cranbrook for the KH to Revy trip we had reserved an AWD vehicle (can't remember, maybe a Subaru Outback) but when we got there all they had was a pick-up truck which wouldn't allow us to lock our skis inside. They said to go have lunch & they would come up with something. When we returned it was an AWD Ford Taurus with newish "All Season" tires. It was perfect for us with one of those hatches from the trunk into the back seat which fit 4 pairs of skis fine.
The car got us over Rogers Pass in a snowstorm with no issues...
100_0988.jpg

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When we returned it was an AWD Ford Taurus with newish "All Season" tires.
I've learned my lesson on if there's snow in the forecast (anywhere you rent a car) check the tires before leaving the garage...

I ended up in Chicago with about 4-6 inches of snow, and a little Infinity sedan (because they gave me a free "upgrade"). It nearly got stuck at a stoplight on a flat, mostly plowed road :rolleyes:. The car had somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40k on it, and I would guess they were still the original tires.

4ster

Instructor
I've learned my lesson on if there's snow in the forecast (anywhere you rent a car) check the tires before leaving the garage...
Yup, first thing I checked when the car showed up. Tires are kinda like skis, you can have stiff boots, stiff race skis & all the skill in the world but if the edges aren't sharp you're still gonna skid on the ice!

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
I've skied Silver Star for about 40 years but I have never heard of Deer Park if thats the hill your referring to.

Is that in the glades on front side?
Silverr Star is a great hill for steep bumpy runs off Putman chair, enough for a different run all day.

Some might say they are fairly similar.
But they ski differently.

I find the only negative at Silver Star are the long flats to get to a few of the entrances off Putman Keep your speed up. Good wax, slip streaming or skating takes care of that. Same for exiting can be a lot of fun keeping up the speed on lower flats with inches between skis

Still my favorite in the Okanogan
Hotels in town are the closest to hill as you' get in the region. Apex is a close second.
Deer Park is to your left when you get off the T-bar.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always learn something new. Looked at a current trail map. Been years since I skied that area of hill , the name certainly didn't ring any bells.

Usually once off t-bar we are cutting back to village or accessing the higher trail to Kirkenhiemer area.

will give it another go next time there.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Always learn something new. Looked at a current trail map. Been years since I skied there, the name certainly didn't ring any bells.

Usually once off t-bar we are cutting back to village or accessing the higher trail to Kirkenhiemer area.

From the Silver Star trail map:

1667332896903.png

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Always learn something new. Looked at a current trail map. Been years since I skied that area of hill , the name certainly didn't ring any bells.

Deer Park is a quite a large area. The upper part is a very gentle glade - there's a cleared trail but it's more fun in the trees. But being a gentle pitch not a lot of speed in soft snow. Lower Deer Park is more entertaining - more of a light blue but generally still untracked to be found even a few days after a dump. The black rating is not really warranted - it's probably the only trail at SS that doesn't warrant its rating on pitch/challenge - likely more to do with keeping younger folk safe given the trees and area.

Sponsor

Staff online