• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

One Cm at a time

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
(Note: I am just a fairly ignorant skier, not in the ski industry.)

Skis the same width can ski very differently, and skis of different widths can ski a lot alike. It depends on the skis.

Your size will probably minimize the differences of width changes, so that I'd tend to suggest maybe considering at least a bit bigger than 100 to 108 mm, maybe the 108+ to 115 range also, as was suggested - if the particular ski is versatile enough. 108 will get you a great variable conditions ski (e.g., Cochise already mentioned, or last year's Line Supernatural 108), but then the Enforcer 93 is a very good variable ski already, probably. (I know from experience the Enforcer 100 is, but not sure given your size, with the 93.)

It might make sense, then, to consider a ski with greater contrast, less overlap, with your current ski, that will still handle a good variety of conditions, including soft groomers, soft trees, rough variable and powder? Or at least handle very differently in powder, given your size. (Both the 108s mentioned are not so much for float in powder, at any size.)

And then to demo, if at all possible?

That said, besides those two 108s, and two others mentioned (the Volkl Two and the 191 Enforcer 110), the other new 191 Enforcer, the Pro 115, might be a possibility to try out, especially since you like the 93, and you are so big. (The danger for you is would you over-power most skis?)

Others:

Blizzard Rustler 11 (116 @192). New, but both playful and good in all soft snow conditions, I would bet.

The 191 Volkl V Werks Katana 112. Your size is the big question mark, again. This ski might be too short for you, except you want to do more tree skiing off piste, so it is promising. In soft snow, this would (probably, for you) do everything well, plus be great in variable/slush/powder/soft groomers also. (One of the few skis I've found that truly excels in all four.) In my experience, this ski is forgiving, but it would also make you better. And it turns in powder trees on a dime. It's unchanged from last year, so last year's 191 is on sale now. (SkiEssentials, Powder7, Backcountry, etc.)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Then again .. race skis being torsionally stiff tends to argue against my understanding ... so I'm now very curious about my own question :)

Maybe answered already, but there are torsionally stiff skis available in every category, but not all skis are super torsionally stiff. The Head Kore series is VERY torsionally stiff. WC race skis and similar non-fis race skis generally are as well. For a guy the OP's size, I'd like a full sidewall, two sheets metal, wood core, and with a couple exceptions, the longest length available.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
At 6' 260# I fall into the big guy category. The Volkl Katana v-works has been my powder ski of choice. Loved my first pair to death as they failed after 60 days of use. Volkl replaced them and I been careful with my second pair only taking them out on big powder days or Western trips.

Reactions: BC.
TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great stuff @ski otter 2 and @Guy in Shorts. The Volkls are a bit pricey for the amount of time I might actually get to use them. That was one reason I was looking at a 108 ish give or take ski. I might get more use out it in the absence of a big dump. The 2017s might be doable. Any thoughts on the 100eight, Invictus or bmx 105 hp? I am seeing great deals on last years models. The other ski I am curious about is the wailer 112. Though I might be too heavy.

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Great stuff @ski otter 2 and @Guy in Shorts. Any thoughts on the 100eight, Invictus or bmx 105 hp? I am seeing great deals on last years models.
A couple of years ago I noticed the 6'6" ski shop manger was grabbing the Armanda Invictus 95TI's on most days. This ex-racer skis like I wish I could. He peaked my interest so I took them out for a couple of days and loved them. Almost bought my first Armanda ski but I ended up with the Renoun Endurance instead. I did have a chance to demo the newer Invictus 99Ti for five runs this last winter and again I loved the ski. Very well may owning a pair someday as they are a sweet Big Guy ski.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just got back to read this. I got in trouble here for not liking the 100eight much, when many others did. To me it was a very fast responding ski - and I liked the Katana way better, all around. The contrast was greatest charging crud and rough chop, but elsewhere too.

I got two pairs of 184s Katanas for roughly $625 to 635 each, online. My 191s (to try longer this year, as a charger) were $737. Last year's model each time. A ski patroller I ran into two years ago was using his Katanas as a one ski quiver, almost all days. That was one of the things that got me interested in spite of the price.

Those Invictus skis, different waists, do seem promising but I haven't tried them.

Sponsor

Staff online