• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OMG!!! BMW Concept Touring Coupe

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

1684531145943.png

1684531195014.png

IMHO, the best looking BMW in recent memory. It is stunning.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not going to lie, I saw the thread title and ready to spew hatred....but....the grill does look much better than recent versions...I like top lines but the rear...I'm ambivalent about it...leaning more to liking it....

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never been a fan of cars that have overly long looking hoods. (Like the Jaguar E-type, some people choice for one of the most beautiful cars ever? Bleah...)

This seems to suffer a bit from that. But overall still very nice.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Seems like the designers did a great job starting from the front, then got tired when they got to the rear windows, then completely gave up on the back end. Those silly two sharp protruding edges on the back look ridiculous. I give it a 7/10 ... all 7 points earned on the front 70% of the car.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Gotta say I don't get it. Make an E type knockoff sportscar if you want but why try to put the dollar store SUV on the back end.

Guess 2 people might conceivably want to waft around rapidly with space for a couple of shotguns and their picnic hamper in the back but I note the rubber band wheels vs the average potholes on roads and anticipate their spinal surgery bills.

I guess that's why it's a one off concept not something they ever intend to produce.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've never been a fan of cars that have overly long looking hoods. (Like the Jaguar E-type, some people choice for one of the most beautiful cars ever? Bleah...)

This seems to suffer a bit from that. But overall still very nice.

Yeh, this is one of those cars where it's hard to see proportion in a pic. Like Porsches always look better in person, you know?

Anyway, BMW front overhangs are massively shorter than any Jag ever. If you assume that the visual mass in front of the front wheel is less than 15 inches wide - the front wheels are 20 - it completely changes the assumptions we make about proportions. And then the A-pillar is only ~20 inches behind that.

There's some fisheye distortion in the photo, but not so much as to preclude basic guesses. Using the front wheel dimension as 20" - the roof line is somewhere in the high 40"-low 50" range.

This thing is directly comparable in height to a 911. I mean sure, "SUV" - if we squash a Range Rover Evoque down to Porsche 911 / Corvette height.

Honestly, BMW styling did a fantastic job pulling that off. Not kidding. Not ironic. That took blood, sweat and tears and inspiration.

EDIT: my primary visual objection to that car is the nasty diffuser exit boxing around the exhaust pipe. That...should get refined further.

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All I can say is that aesthetically, this shows promise.
as a former BMW driver since the late 70’s, I feel they lost a lot in the last 15 years and frankly they lost me after the e-36 era . The best drivers car they’ve made recently is the M128. That is a drivers car, and feels like they were attempting to get back to their roots producing a well balanced drivers vehicle.
IMO , the new grills are on dialysis ,
hideous. We just bought an XC 60 and we looked at BMW out of due diligence but the Volvo was among other things, better looking. That’s a sad day when a Volvo is more attractive than a BMW:roflmao:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The best drivers car they’ve made recently is the M128.

Amen to that. I had the non-M version. Just a "nothing burger" with the NA I6 engine, stick, sport package, and fancy paint in a color that please my wife.

Why did I ever sell that thing?!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We just bought an XC 60 and we looked at BMW out of due diligence but the Volvo was among other things, better looking.

I did that back in 2013. Better looking, less snooty dealership experience, turbo 6 power at the price of BMW turbo 4, and a back seat that actually folded flat, which BMW wasn't providing in the X3 at that time.

But that clown shoe works for me, though I read elsewhere that it is a one-off with no plans for production.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Amen to that. I had the non-M version. Just a "nothing burger" with the NA I6 engine, stick, sport package, and fancy paint in a color that please my wife.

Why did I ever sell that thing?!
When I drove that M 128 , it reminded me of why I used to love BMW’s; balance, power to weight ratio, intuitive handling and a great torque curve and power band. Fun to drive at 35mph and 90 mph. Somewhere in the late 90’s they lost that. When I had my 2002’s, I used to always take the long way to places , they were that enjoyable. Kind of like skiing- we don’t do it to go from A to B, it’s about the fun of getting there.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see now where Adrian BMW Honcho is saying they may build a limited run of these, likely no more than 50.

That should help keep the price reasonable!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I see now where Adrian BMW Honcho is saying they may build a limited run of these, likely no more than 50.

That should help keep the price reasonable!

I like how you spelled

'Oh, hey, looks like it might have traction in the collector market to the point that it might keep or gain value after a limited run is finished so we're not stuck holding the bag like we did with M1'.

I think I need to teach myself this variant. :)

I have a 993 RWB as my current desktop image, I can't wait till I see one in the flesh(doubt that will ever happen)! If so I may faint from it's beauty.

:) But seriously, if you want to be disappointed in your current camera setup, lighting and framing skills, go out and try to take Porsche pics. You'll want the car to fill the frame, and you'll want something to give the car scale (F150s are too big) and you'll want multipoint lighting and even after you're exhausted from dragging yourself along the ground with your frame-filling lenses, the pic won't be half as exciting as what your eyes actually saw.

And I will bet that BMW has more than a few of the same difficulties. Only big, trucky vehicles do well on Instagram.

People keep invoking Jags in this thread - here is an E type:

1684763224322.png

^that thing is HUGE. There's >30 inches of overhang in front of the wheels but you'd never know it because all Jag pics are taken at an angle and foreshortened.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online