• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Olin Skis in 2017?

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
So the other day I was visiting the local ski shop I frequent, and the owner mentioned to me that he'd been invited to check out the Elan factory in Slovenia. While he was there he witnessed all sorts of interesting things including a bunch of skis being pressed with a familiar brand name on them...

Olin! So I was curious if anyone knew where these skis are ending up? Who owns the rights to the name now? Google hasn't been able to help me find anything except for reviews for all the mediocre skis sold under the Olin brand in the early '00s...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Someone put out a run of "Tribute" skis with Olin Mark IV topsheets on them. Might have been the same shape as the K2 244 mogul ski run a few years ago.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is not uncommon for brand names to be licensed in other countries. Bobbie Burns licensed The Ski in Japan (I missed a pair of The Ski snowblades on Craigslist about 10 years ago). Hart was also licensed in Japan and actually became more rellivent that hart here in the U.S. at the time. Last I knew, K2 owned the Olin name for skis, very well they are licensing it to someone in Europe. I do know many brands that you are familiar with come out of the Elan factory.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Any news on the OLIN brand?

I am ready to work on their next release....
I already have the model name:
MARK Xl

Yes I said it!
Come on Pugski— let’s design this by committee (in a successful way)-
If it “Goes to Eleven” then it will be the best all mountain ski money can buy!

Who is in?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any news on the OLIN brand?

I am ready to work on their next release....
I already have the model name:
MARK Xl

Yes I said it!
Come on Pugski— let’s design this by committee (in a successful way)-
If it “Goes to Eleven” then it will be the best all mountain ski money can buy!

Who is in?
I guess you didn't buy these when they were on Ebay....

olin-mark-repro-1-jpg.39672

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OLIN owns the name OLIN . They make everything from pool chemicals to shotgun shells all branded as Olin with the same logo . The ski business was a bit of an outlier for them I suspect. That said , they had a more science based culture than most ski companies and tested the skis constantly .

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OLIN owns the name OLIN . They make everything from pool chemicals to shotgun shells all branded as Olin with the same logo . The ski business was a bit of an outlier for them I suspect. That said , they had a more science based culture than most ski companies and tested the skis constantly .
K2 bought Olin skis and I assume the right to market them under that name. I am nor sure if they still have it but when we did the "Products We'd like to see" article last year, we suggested that Olin is brought back as a premium American brand.

Olin - Pugski Wish List.jpg

Sponsor