• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ogden signs agreement with European outdoor sports firms

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From a press release:
OGDEN, Utah (AP) — A Utah city is staking its claim as a hub for the outdoor industry.

Ogden signed an agreement Tuesday with 20 cluster organizations participating in the EU4Sports Clusters Alliance to create an official partnership aimed at growing the area’s outdoor industry and outdoor-related companies.

Ogden Mayor Mike Caldwell says the relationship will be the foundation for exploring future opportunities between the city and its new alliance partners.

EU4Sports represents several outdoor groups and brands in Spain, France, Belgium and the Netherlands. The companies range from startups to mid-sized businesses, making everything from climbing crash pads to 360 cameras and sit skis to smartphone apps.

Company representatives say they chose Ogden over other locales like Los Angeles and New York because of the city’s outdoor assets and the Ogden city officials.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With Amer Group, among others, in Ogden, this looks like a nice step in the direction that area wants to go.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
As you likely know, Ogden & Mayor Caldwell have been courting & promoting the outdoor industry for quite some time. The biggest was when Amer Sports came to town. I guess the concessions the city government is willing to make are hard to resist. That & the vast testing grounds within in minutes of downtown. I am really noticing a difference in the demographic of folks living in my neighborhood & sharing our recreational resources.

I suppose it's a good thing, except the days when there is a powder flu epidemic ;) .

EDIT: @Tricia , looks like we were posting at the same time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I was working with Hart, we were courted to move to Ogden by the previous Mayor, Matt Godfrey, but they rolled out the red carpet for us by touring us behind the scenes at Snowbasin and meet and greets with al the other brands that were already there. At one point there was the promise of a lift from the town to Snowbasin but there was some issues with the land that was between the town and the ski area?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
When I was working with Hart, we were courted to move to Ogden by the previous Mayor, Matt Godfrey, but they rolled out the red carpet for us by touring us behind the scenes at Snowbasin and meet and greets with al the other brands that were already there. At one point there was the promise of a lift from the town to Snowbasin but there was some issues with the land that was between the town and the ski area?

Yes, you are correct. It was Mayor Godfrey who got it started. When I first moved to the area in 2000, Ogden was pretty depressed & depressing. Businesses & shops were closed or closing. My little valley was still mainly a rural area with small farms & ranches. It has changed a lot.

A dusting of snow up high this morning.
IMG_4088.JPG

The lift from town up through Malan's basin was another story. Kind of a fantasy but would've been cool.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/650219272/Gondola-proposal-echoes-1907-plan.html

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad you shared this, Tricia! I think it's pretty exciting, and hope it brings some really cool new jobs to the area.

Sponsor

Staff online