• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Outback, 2.5 or 3.6 ?

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Is the upgrade in engine size worth the extra cost?

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Depends. For me no. Are there a few mountain passes I've wished I had the bigger engine for a short stretch? Sure. But the 2.5 is plenty of power for pretty much all my driving, and I prioritized fuel economy.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wonder if the new 2.4 turbo in the Ascent will become an option in the Outback...

They haven't said anything official that I remember seeing, but I think you can expect that to happen with the 2020 outback when it moves over to the SGP (subaru global platform) architecture.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Before I bought mine, I asked a few friends about their opinions, and virtually everyone with the 2.5 said they wished they had bought the 3.6.
I did.
And I love it.
680C1F21-E2EF-4784-843C-971A71C37BD5.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

For use in high altitudes and/or highways absolutely yes. Get the larger engine.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
The reason to get the 2.5 is fuel economy, but in my experience mountain driving mpg is 23-26. I can’t say what mpg with a 3.6 would be, but my hunch is about the same. FWIW in these conditions, a roof box didn’t significantly affect fuel economy. If I were buying a new one, I think I’d opt for the 3.6.

TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Do you see cars as an A to B appliance or something you enjoy?

I guess both in some ways, there will always be a practical aspect and a fun aspect to a car purchase.

I had the same decision with my Dodge Journey; the economical 4 banger or the ungraded V6. I did my research and went with the V6, which I have never regretted. It's a superb engine for that size of vehicle and has never let me down. The research on the Outback was less convincing, with most saying the 2.5 if fine as long as you are not towing. I have a feeling the bulk of that opinion was coming from the more environmentally conscious Subaru owner. Skiers obviously prefer more power! No offence intended to each stereotypical group.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Where do you live, flatlands or at altitude in western mtns? I have 2014 2.5 and live in flatlands where it serves mostly as the typical suburban SUV run-around and have never minded having smaller engine. It's no race horse, but even on the once every other year occasions that I take it to elevation it's fine. Will be towing a UHAUL trailer with it soon on a one time trailer trip to the Rockies and it will be interesting to see how it does. Since that trip will be from east across gradually climbing interstates like I80 I don't expect problems. If you prize power than probably should get 3.6.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I guess both in some ways, there will always be a practical aspect and a fun aspect to a car purchase.

I had the same decision with my Dodge Journey; the economical 4 banger or the ungraded V6. I did my research and went with the V6, which I have never regretted. It's a superb engine for that size of vehicle and has never let me down. The research on the Outback was less convincing, with most saying the 2.5 if fine as long as you are not towing. I have a feeling the bulk of that opinion was coming from the more environmentally conscious Subaru owner. Skiers obviously prefer more power! No offence intended to each stereotypical group.

Sounds like you'll enjoy the H6. 2.5 is doable, but it's always nice to have some spare. I spent the last two summers in a 67 hp car and it did just fine on the highway, but engine constantly buzzing at 3.5k RPM does get annoying.

Gas mileage has more to do with what you do with your right foot than engine size anyway. :D

Well..by that measure..the Outback isn't that enjoyable for the most part!!! :D

Well the 3.6 makes it a bit more so, but it's one of the reasons I bought Forester instead.

Last edited:
TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Another question. If you take a crossover, like the Edge, Rogue or Journey and add AWD to them, do you end up with the same off road capability as a Subaru, which are basically Legacy’s and Imprezas with AWD added? Or is there more to the conversion that gives Subaru this legendary ability to “point and go” anywhere”.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a 2016 3.6 and love it. The 3.6 equipped Outback is quieter and smoother than the 2.5.
I average 27 MPG on my 2800 mile round trip to Summit county.
We aren't gettng much better than that with our Alltrack. I would say go with the 3.6, while it is more expensive up front, you will get the majority of that back on resale and you will get the enjoyment of the smoother motor during your time of ownership.

We looked at the Outback...we even took numerous test drives and really tried to like it but if you are looking for any type of driving enjoyment, you need to look elsewhere. As an skiing appliance though, there are few better options.

2019 Outback Color Options:
  • Harvest Gold
  • Avacado
  • Almond
  • White
  • Ivory White
  • Onyx Black

Sponsor

Staff online