• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico My Wife Says Taos is Generally Icy

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
She's never been there but used to work for Sun N Ski and heard this from a few guys that worked there. Thinking of going 3rd week of Feb. What's the story? I thought Taos was fluffy pillows top to bottom LOL. Well, I did think I'd find it to have a lot of fresh. Help me out here.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a perfect time to visit.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to say what conditions are normally, but by I don't think "icy" would generally describe late February at Taos. Pillows and fresh will be a matter of taste and some luck, but I've had at least a couple really nice days every time I've visited.

If there's any way you can do a ski week (it's tough this season), I do highly recommend it regardless of your ability. Their instructors are easily some of the best out there.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
No ski week this year at TSV unless you want to do private for $1500 plus tips.
Snow has been great this season. We had a handful of storms and so far the snow we got were dry and light. It has been cold enough the last 2 months to keep the snow nice.
Feb should still be good. Avoid 2nd and 3rd week of March (TX/AZ/OK spring break). There is always a dump in late March but the snow is usually heavy and wet.
I’d never describe Taos to be icy but I have heard people who are used to slushy snow in CA called our semi hard-packed, icy, so it is all relative. Wait til they experience real ice in the east....

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
Some very relevant reading. Thanks everyone. I might just keep to A Basin. I do have my shot! Super happy about that.

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
She's a heck of a good skier and has skied Vermont half of her life so she'd know ice, but she's never skied Taos and was going by hearsay. Figured I'd get some of my own hearsay. I appreciate your answers everyone. I was unaware that I might have trouble just skiing there because of quarantine. I'll head to Summit County and keep to myself while there.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have not been there in years, but I remember my last run: a sunny day on a remote chute covered with rime feathers. The feathers were huge, and grew on a smooth base of windpack. They made the sound of windchimes as you swished through them. One of the most amazing runs ever.

The previous days were just sun and packed powder.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt someone from VT will find it "icy." :P High elevation and a favorable aspect helps. Just stay off Zagava, which is icy (in the middle) even on pow days. Not sure how it manages that, but at least it's short. That said, I almost always am storm-chasing when I am there, so I may not be the best judge. IME, it does get firm, if chalky, and you don't want to fall on the steeps in such conditions.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
She's a heck of a good skier and has skied Vermont half of her life so she'd know ice, but she's never skied Taos and was going by hearsay. Figured I'd get some of my own hearsay. I appreciate your answers everyone. I was unaware that I might have trouble just skiing there because of quarantine. I'll head to Summit County and keep to myself while there.
Check back for travel restrictions! We are doing pretty ok lately so the state may change them!

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
LOL She's From the NE- to her she'll laugh like me.. no, there's no Ice out west.

Taos is wonderful- Even in a low snow year the surface was quieter than any trail in the NE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, late to the party. Was out performing public service packing down freshies.

Nope, no ice allowed on the slopes during the winter season. Always very edge-able. Otherwise there would be lots more dead bodies in the bumps. And you think avoiding rocks at the bottom of the trough is tough?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My Wife Says Taos is Generally Icy....

"She keeps using that word, I don't think it means what she thinks it means."
Inigo "Killington Skier" Montoya

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, late to the party. Was out performing public service packing down freshies.

Nope, no ice allowed on the slopes during the winter season. Always very edge-able. Otherwise there would be lots more dead bodies in the bumps. And you think avoiding rocks at the bottom of the trough is tough?
Rocks do more base damage. Give me the bodies any day.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

I thought the bumps were dead bodies...

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
Well Taos was going to be my defiant ski trip. "If y'all won't go with me then don't expect me to stay here not skiing."
So Taos is close and legendary and I haven't been there. I will get there soon.
I got the shot. Leukemia gets me 1B. 14 yr old daughter got the shot. Got in an astra zeneca trial. We're working all the angles. Wife is on list for a trial and we'll keep bugging them. Ten year old.. Well she wears her n95 and actually harassed me to get that vs her trendy cloth mask, so cool. I'm happy. Family keeps to ourselves. We both work from home and 14 yr old does school online while the youngest does attend in person. Once the oldest got her shot and I did too I started feelng better about flying with the family.
So when my wife a day ago suggested we go to Killington as a family.... Yep let's do that. Paid for flights with miles. Six night lodgng lodging plus five days lift tickets in the sunrise village condos about 2900. Ten year old skis free. Got a free night too. Not shabby. Ski in ski out. Cook our own meals and ski all day. I'm pretty sure we can stay safe and keep everyone else safe as well. Keep working on getting wife into a trial in the meantime. There are a lot of them around here because of the huge amount of hospitals in Houston.
BTW there are quality control trials if any of you are interested. These are not effectiveness or side effect trials. This is where they have to pull x percent from production and stick them in an arm to prove their manufacturing still works. So you don't get a one in two chance of getting a placebo. Guaranteed real shot. She found that out from her doctor.
Anyway, Killington. It's new for me and I'm betting there is a heck of a lot of ice . I really want to pick up a pair of liberty 76 vmt for the trip but I'll probably just stick with the dps f94. Maybe wider than optimal but if I give into the urge to buy skis everytime.. Well you all know how that goes.
Thanks for all the comments. Not wasted. I'll end up in Taos soon.

Sponsor