• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, I don't think they had FAI surgery then (Cam and Pincer) . Its a slow, low-impact process but the last one was very successful. -
Yeah, I don't know, doesn't sound like it.
One had surgery in Dec and was skating (gingerly), in February. She actually had asked to use a pair of my ski poles for stability the first time out. The other had surgery in late Novembre and was back in April when Philadelphia once again closes one of the river drives to traffic giving us a 4 mile stretch of road. He is more of a recreational skater but was skating better than ever and told us he was doing well with it.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I'm not really sure what I did .. I have been replaying the injury in my mind. We were skiing in heavily traveled woods, and I was approaching a re-grouping point. There was a little swoop between two trees, and rather than turn into the group, I rode up the bank on the far side. My knee went forward (no twisting) and I felt inappropriate movement but no "pop". I was able to ski out.
Wishing you the best. A speedy recovery and hoping it's a minor injury as it appears. I think I know exactly where this happened,being part of the avoided group,but heard you say nothing at the time.

Can still hear the leader yelling at me though when I did a similar dramatic turn/stop in these quite gnarly woods (no injury) to avoid hitting the stopped group. Leader thought I was too close to a tree well, I thought not.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Get well MDF. There but for the grace of God go all of us. I hope is it a relatively minor problem.:crossfingers: It was I that lead Phil and Trish on a seemingly wide open hillside near the Whistler Peak Express chair last Thursday morning. Had skied it several times immediately before with Bruce without incident. You couldn't see them from above, but it had a few snow-covered rock drops and Phil slid right over one as Trish yelled a warning from across the slope. Fortunately, Phil popped right up with no apparent harm, but I worried he'd ripped his clothes or torn-up the bottom of his skis.

I think it happened right after I took these two photos;
LL

LL

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ its all about your frame of mind isn't it! :daffy: yes, about PT- yep, I have to go 4 days a week for 3 weeks. so yes, I had to laugh at what your comment

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
^^^ its all about your frame of mind isn't it! :daffy: yes, about PT- yep, I have to go 4 days a week for 3 weeks. so yes, I had to laugh at what your comment

Wowza, yeah! I had two a week, and it felt like a lot. I am a lucky duck - my husband's insurance covers (as far as I can tell) infinite PT sessions. Well, after we meet the full cost of the high deductible plan. It's a great plan for years with surgeries.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I am VERY fortunate to have excellent coverage (although they are not always easy to work with) and get 60 PT sessions with a $30.00 Copay- which i will use almost all. I'm glad to be getting this done now before the potential for insurance changes hits. My deductible was already met with the hand and MRI on the hip so I'm hoping they dont fight me too much on other stuff which they have in the past. Dr Philippons protocol seems extremely conservative and a bit much but his success rate is incredibly high so I will follow the PT protocol.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Get well MDF. There but for the grace of God go all of us. I hope is it a relatively minor problem.:crossfingers: It was I that lead Phil and Trish on a seemingly wide open hillside near the Whistler Peak Express chair last Thursday morning. Had skied it several times immediately before with Bruce without incident. You couldn't see them from above, but it had a few snow-covered rock drops and Phil slid right over one as Trish yelled a warning from across the slope. Fortunately, Phil popped right up with no apparent harm, but I worried he'd ripped his clothes or torn-up the bottom of his skis.

Wednesday or Thursday in 7th Heaven area @matchstick videoed 8 of us. Location was not great as I and 2 others skied over a giant rock. Lucky no injuries
and my skis had little or no damage. !! Have not heard from MDF. I think I was skiing in his group when he had the problem.
Hope he is all right. Us old guys take longer to heal.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Swelling is going down and it is feeling better, but still some swelling and some discomfort at ends of range of motion. Have an ortho appointment next week for evaluation. I'm hopeful it will heal up on its own.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Swelling is going down and it is feeling better, but still some swelling and some discomfort at ends of range of motion. Have an ortho appointment next week for evaluation. I'm hopeful it will heal up on its own.

Good luck MDF. I hope it's nothing but a sprain.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Well, bummer. My ACL is blown.

Orhto was pretty sure just from manipulating, but confirmed with the "Knee-Tester One-Thousand". (Love that hokey name.) He had baseline KT-1000 readings from when he fixed my OTHER knee four years ago, and my new injured knee has 7 mm additional movement (IIRC, anything over 3 mm is considered indicative of a rupture).

Have an MRI scheduled for Tuesday to see the details. Will almost certainly have it fixed the same way as the other one.

Need 3 to 5 weeks for swelling to go away before surgery, so MAYBE I can make next year's Gathering.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
BUMMER! so sorry! heal up and get back at it. :thumb: once you get the complete tear confirmed, and if you can get surgery done by end of April, you should be OK to ski by December at some point.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, bummer. My ACL is blown.

Orhto was pretty sure just from manipulating, but confirmed with the "Knee-Tester One-Thousand". (Love that hokey name.) He had baseline KT-1000 readings from when he fixed my OTHER knee four years ago, and my new injured knee has 7 mm additional movement (IIRC, anything over 3 mm is considered indicative of a rupture).

Have an MRI scheduled for Tuesday to see the details. Will almost certainly have it fixed the same way as the other one.

Need 3 to 5 weeks for swelling to go away before surgery, so MAYBE I can make next year's Gathering.

I'm so sorry.

What's the timeline for getting back to skiing post-surgery? Different doctors have wildly different numbers.

Any word on meniscus or other damage, or is it just ACL?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Based on pain, I think it is just ACL. Good reason to fix right away. But the MRI will tell...

For the other knee he said a year, but I cheated by a month and a bit.

Hmmm... I guess I am doing a little wishful thinking in counting months till next March. Well that's another bummer.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Based on pain, I think it is just ACL. Good reason to fix right away. But the MRI will tell...

Hmmm... I guess I am doing a little wishful thinking in counting months till next March. Well that's another bummer.

Maybe, maybe. Is that for skiing at all, or skiing aggressively?

Reactions: mdf

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sorry to hear… good luck with recovery.

Reactions: mdf

Sponsor

Staff online