MTB Baggies for Short Skinny People

Discussion in 'Cycling: Mountain, Road, Uni' started by Tony S, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

Okay, now that it's deep discount time - shorts are something I generally don't want to buy used :eek: - I'm going to bite the bullet and get a pair or two of baggy shorts. SO few people are riding lycra in the woods now, I'm starting to feel like an out-of-touch geezer. (I may actually BE an out-of-touch geezer, but I don't have to advertise it.) But here's the main reason I haven't gone to baggies, after having tried them a dozen years ago and hated the way the wide leg openings - now thankfully gone, it appears - always caught on the back of the seat after a steep butt-behind-the-saddle drop. (A bit moot anyway now, with dropper posts on most bikes.) The main reason ... right. Back on track.

The main reason is that they tend to make me look even shorter and smaller than I already am. Shorts that are supposed to come to the knees - which already seems ridiculous to a guy who grew up with shorts that were actually shorts - come halfway down my shins. Plus they're so baggy around the butt. In brief, they make me look like I'm about nine, wearing my dad's shorts. So does anyone have a recommendation for baggies that are shorter and skinnier than the average? Looking for something that is lightweight with an included liner. Thanks in advance!

2. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

Pearl Izumi has some called Summits that are much trimmer in fit than most. Cheap at REI.

I will actually (occasionally) wear them, and I'm another out of touch lycra geezer.

Baggies just seem to keep me warm and damp in places that are better kept as dry as possible!

Tony S likes this.
  3. scott43

scott43 Out on the slopes Skier

If the only reason is they look odd don't change. Lycra is the best. Having said that I do buy zoic shorts from time to time. I'm short and fat so my experience may not translate but I do love their shorts.

Tony S likes this.
  4. epic

epic Out on the slopes Instructor

Try and find last year's Troy Lee Designs Ace Short. Here is this year's, see the description "very fitted". They are hardly baggies at all, they are like came for lycra wearers.

http://www.troyleedesigns.com/ace-2-short

Tony S likes this.
  5. epic

6. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

7. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

But I did get a nice pair of shorts ... Stand by ...

8. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

FullSizeRender-2-03.jpeg Bit dark and blurry, I guess. But also note the 2015 Gathering shirt courtesy of @Gary Stolt. :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  9. epic

Is that Vermin Supreme? Looks like there's a boot on your head.

10. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

LOL. Had to Google Vermin Supreme. Just got lazy with shaving. Dim light and slow shutter speed - or whatever they call it now - makes the light-on-helmet look weird.