• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mobile Synthetic Ski Slope - First Look

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm working with a start up company to bring synthetic ski slopes to population centers, with the first one being in the South Bay.

Next Sunday we are hosting our first Meetup to sample the slope we will be using at our indoor ski facilities.

If you are interested in making some turns, please reserve your slope time by clicking here.

20157635_1852547465063010_226748809085639396_o.jpg

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this white Neveplast?

How does Neveplast compare to Snowflex? I believe Snowflex requires a water mist. I have heard Neveplast does not need water, however, Buck Hill in Minnesota is experimenting with mist due to friction issues on their Neveplast slope.

I would love to try either.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The surface is ProSlope, I skied on it last fall in the United Kingdom. Urban Snow is the first to use it in North America.

Wow, so there are at least 3 technologies out there. Does Proslope require a water mist?

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Bring one of your centers to Omaha! ;)

TS
soulskier

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow, so there are at least 3 technologies out there. Does Proslope require a water mist?

When I skied on it in the UK, it was a warm, humid day and they were misting the slope. Our facility will be indoors so we will have the advantage of controlling the environment, but expect to have some kind of lubrication system.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This is really cool - keep me updated!

I need to head up to Buck Hill this fall to try out their slope.

What factors made you choose ProSlope over Snowflex and Neveplast?

Last edited:
TS
soulskier

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
Bring one of your centers to Omaha! ;)

After we construct the first ski gym in California, we plan to scale out to other populations centers in the US, maybe even Omaha?

This is really cool - keep me updated!

I need to head up to Buck Hill this fall to try out their slope.

You can sign up for email updates through the website.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
After we construct the first ski gym in California, we plan to scale out to other populations centers in the US, maybe even Omaha?

You can sign up for email updates through the website.

Thanks - I will!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've tried most of the out of season non frozen ski surfaces. The only one I liked some was the ones with water ramps in to a lake or pool. I don't even last all that long spring skiing when it's above mid 50s. Main problem with synthetic is that with the plastic surfaces you have to pad up because falls are stick and pound instead of skip and slide like on snow. Rug burns or road rash happens where you're not heavily protected when you fall. If you're working to get in ski shape and exercise or to work on learning to ski in preparation for the upcoming season go for it. Personally, I prefer to just go ice skating and play some hockey, skateboard, surf, etc.. for my summer sliding fixes.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I've tried most of the out of season non frozen ski surfaces. The only one I liked some was the ones with water ramps in to a lake or pool. I don't even last all that long spring skiing when it's above mid 50s. Main problem with synthetic is that with the plastic surfaces you have to pad up because falls are stick and pound instead of skip and slide like on snow. Rug burns or road rash happens where you're not heavily protected when you fall. If you're working to get in ski shape and exercise or to work on learning to ski in preparation for the upcoming season go for it. Personally, I prefer to just go ice skating and play some hockey, skateboard, surf, etc.. for my summer sliding fixes.

When did you last try it -- guessing it has been quite a few years -- I'm sure the technology constantly improves.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
When did you last try it -- guessing it has been quite a few years -- I'm sure the technology constantly improves.

And my ability to withstand pain from falling on plastic instead of snow decays. All you have to do is go look at the FAQs for the newer places. Most strongly recommend or require knee pads, elbow pads, and gloves in addition to helmets. I wear all of that skating my little half pipe, which I did yesterday. That said, the super smooth skate surface is more forgiving and slidable to pads than any bristled surface could ever be.

Lots of kids hit the summer SnowPlex up in VA. I took a look at it a couple years ago,. No thanks. I'm too much of a baby now.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Obviously the big draws for synthetic slopes are:
- Learning
- Terrain Park features (which you can't get with the treadmill carpet slopes).

Being from the Midwest I've seen kids spend hours with just a jump or a couple of terrain park features. They hike up, do a couple of features, then hike up and do it again over and over.

I can see these type of areas being popular in larger cities. Probably not so much for high elevation ski areas. For example, in both Aspen and Copper Mountain they just blow a monster pile of snow to last through the summer for terrain park features.
IMG_3185.JPG
COPPER MOUNTAIN a couple weeks ago.
IMG_3186.JPG

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Obviously the big draws for synthetic slopes are:
- Learning
- Terrain Park features (which you can't get with the treadmill carpet slopes).

Agreed. Give me a jump and some nice, cool water to slash down in and I'm all in for a couple rounds.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love to see someone write an article comparing and contrasting Proslope, Neveplast and Snowflex.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Back in the mid 1970s some folks went "all in" on prefab mobile fiberglass skateboard park components. It worked well as it could be moved from town to town as the demand and skate rage diffused across middle America. First place I skated these was actually at the Minnesota State Fair. They then moved it indoors in a big warehouse over the winter, then next to a new mall where it kind of died after several years. It fizzled out as cement parks with real pools were what was featured in all the popular magazines and high level pros were seen riding.

thrasherland31.jpg

Pre fab made a 2nd swan song with metal components, many still around moving from place to place getting used and re used. I've got a Fresh Parks quarter pipe in my yard right now.... built in to a mini half pipe with another $200 worth of wood and screws.

Portable is good as long as there is no better permanent competition.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love to see someone write an article comparing and contrasting Proslope, Neveplast and Snowflex.

I asked SAM magazine just that question and they said they have an article in the works.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I did an afternoon at Buck Hill last fall. Definitely have to bundle up to prevent injury; surface is not very forgiving to the skin. Bundling is rough in the summer when it's regularly 80-90 degrees. Only one chair running; otherwise rope tows which totally shred most gloves (due to increased drag of skis on artificial surface). Buck recommends using special thick leather mittens, which they sell in the ski shop. Did not find the surface very "snow-like". Hard to edge and thus ski properly. Don't know if it would help with training because of this fact. They recommend not "lapping" without breaks due to concerns of heat damaging your skis, and they have water troughs to "cool off your gear" at the bottom When I went, it was mostly snowboarders in the terrain park. Overall, it was kind of fun for an hour or two, but nothing I'd do on a regular basis.

Here's some video I shot:

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if you want your edges somewhat dull?

Sponsor

Staff online