• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Milestone Birthday Trip Advice

JPM22

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Bringing up a subject I'm sure people have hit before: I'm starting to plan a 40th birthday trip for late January 2026 (know that's early, but given the group we need to get going).

The people coming are a mix: a few very good, intense skiers; a few less-intense spouses; and potentially young kids/grandparents--though that's not a given. The priority is great January snow & interesting terrain--preference for bowls, chutes, and trees.

In terms of post-skiing, this is a group (less-intense skiers included) that will be most interested in a fire, a good dinner, & early sleep before the next ski day--not bar hopping. But people will want to stay in a relatively nice hotel/condo/house.

Pretty much anything is on the table. Most of us grew up skiing in Colorado, so probably would be most interested in going somewhere else. Alaska was a leader in the clubhouse among the intense skiers, but has hit resistance from the less-intense spouses.

All thoughts/opinions appreciated!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Early Jan or late Jan and how many days?
Alta might be good for early Jan good mix of challenge and easy, usually decent early season snow, many nice slopeside lodges.

TS
J

JPM22

Skier
Early Jan or late Jan and how many days?
Alta might be good for early Jan good mix of challenge and easy, usually decent early season snow, many nice slopeside lodges.
Third week - probably leaving on MLK and going through the following weekend. Alta’s a good thought unless the cousin who is a snowboarder tags along…

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Telluride's beautiful, more special-feeling than the more urban areas, and is usually fully or nearly-100% open by MLK day.

Or treat yourself and your guests to a really memorable experience... buy out a whole mountain Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: https://www.eaglepointresort.com/as-you-wish

Kahuna

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We just got back from a similar trip... 20 people sharing a house in Vail. A lot of research was done 2 years out and the house booked well in advance. Options were very limited and rates for a house that large were a huge premium over separate accommodations. I'm talking eye watering. The size of the group will likely determine how much difficulty you have finding the right place. Feel free to message me if you want more details of our experience.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
AspenSnowmass. Rent a house in Snowmass. Something for everyone.
This is what I'd do.
Snowmass has something for everyone and the ability to also go between the 4 mountains on a short bus ride.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
France, Switzerland, Austria.

Go for glaciers and altitudes over 1200M. Snow pack will be far more reliable than in north America.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of us grew up skiing in Colorado
Other folks have recommended Telluride or Aspen... but should those be off the table because you're from Colorado? Or did you grow up skiing I-70 corridor and other recommendations in CO are good?

TS
J

JPM22

Skier
Other folks have recommended Telluride or Aspen... but should those be off the table because you're from Colorado? Or did you grow up skiing I-70 corridor and other recommendations in CO are good?
We mostly were I-70, so some of the others could be in play.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With the mix of people and desires you have mentioned (serious skier/not serious skier, kids/adults), I think I'd focus on places that have real towns or good villages and variety in restaurants and other things to do - in addition to great skiing. So I'd have a list something like this (though I have not been to all of these):
  • Aspen/Snowmass
  • Telluride
  • Park City
  • Jackson Hole
  • Whitefish
  • Bachelor/Bend
  • Whistler
  • Steamboat
  • Sun Valley
I left off the I-70 places, and Lake Louise/Sunshine, Big Sky, and Mammoth, as I think they have somewhat less stuff other than just skiing - though could all work too. And there might be more Canadian places that would be good that I am not familiar enough with - Red, Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Apex, Panorama, Fernie, Revelstoke, etc.

If you focused on the skiing, that would bring in those I left off, including the Utah canyons resorts, and some of the Canadian places like Kicking Horse or Revelstoke or Red.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
How long of a stay are you looking at?
If it is for a week or more Park City; lots to do lots of terrain (and yes there are steeps). Several mountains within range and easy to get to. You can rent a cool house or stay in a nice hotel or lodge.
4 or 5 days? Just to be different Coeur d'Alene, ID. 2 good mountains, Schweitzer and Silver Mt. (300" a year mountains) within an hour. By late January the skiing is normally pretty good. GREAT hotel, the Coeur d'Alene. Spectacular view every day. Very cool walkable downtown just out the door. Lots to do in town for non-skier types. About an hour from the Spokane airport with pretty good connections. A side benefit on CDA is it is only about 2,200' so altitude is not an issue.
People very rarely take this advise but it is good.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would go to Jackson Hole, with a day at Targhee mixed in if possible. Pretty reliable snowpack(especially Targhee) and the area has plenty to keep the less intense crowd happy.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
What about this January?

Virtually every resort in north America has had an abysmal season so far this year and it's not going to get any better.

And if it's going to be a special trip, may as well go big and get out of the US.

This is a strange comment, considering it is an El Nino year which won't be the case next year and even then a number of major resorts across Utah and Colorado are doing just fine. Far from abysmal.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I left off the I-70 places, and Lake Louise/Sunshine, Big Sky, and Mammoth, as I think they have somewhat less stuff other than just skiing - though could all work too

I'm not sure where you got your information from, but Lake Louise and Sunshine actually have the most to offer besides skiing.

The only downside is you're driving or shuttling from the town to the resorts. BUT, it is the most scenic drive possible of any ski area in North America on easy divided highway.

With January being the Banff low season, and with the favourable US exchange you will be able to stay at some iconic hotels like the Banff Springs for the same price or less than a 3-star at a major US resort.

press-Fairmont-Ski-Season-Offers-768x688.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure where you got your information from, but Lake Louise and Sunshine actually have the most to offer besides skiing.
A couple of things, and happy to be corrected as I haven't been there...

1) My info is just from reading on here, and I have the impression that there isn't a town so to speak, so not much other than the resorts. Maybe I've gotten the wrong impression.
2) And I'm not sure what "other things" you're considering, but I wasn't very specific unfortunately; I really did mean a town with non-winter/non-outdoor activities. Like a Park City, or Bend, OR, or Telluride, etc. Does Banff have that?

Sponsor