• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
Has anyone received their MAX PASS in the mail yet. Their website doesn't say anything (or at least in an easy to find place) about exactly when these will be sent. Seems like some of the resorts on their list might be open in November. First year so I'm getting a bit nervous and it isn't really clear how to contact them if there is a problem.

Thanks

Clark

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I received my MAX Pass about 2 weeks ago. If you haven't received yours yet you might want to call them.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Everyone around here seems to have gotten their pass in the last couple of weeks. You can reach them at info at themaxpass dot com, I've found them to be very responsive.

dm

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With Intrawest gone from being one of the cornerstone of the max pass, next year will be very different.
The balance will probably shift toward KSL/Aspen and/or MCP.
Next year will be good with KSL/Aspen thing.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
With Intrawest gone from being one of the cornerstone of the max pass, next year will be very different.
The balance will probably shift toward KSL/Aspen and/or MCP.

So, next year will Aspen drop out of the MCP? And formerly Max Pass had their office at the Intrawest Headquarters in Denver. I wonder where the Max Pass office is now?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Not for me.

I split my time between Upstate NY and Denver. The current Max pass is perfect, and it only costs $329 to add it to my Gore/Whiteface pass. Next year they will lose Winter Park and Steamboat, two of our family favorites that are also on the Rocky Mountain Super Pass, which my son has been getting. There's no way to know how the Max pass and RSMP passes shake out for next year, but they are perfect for us now and there's no way they'll be better.

OTOH KSL has nothing that interests me except Steamboat, Winter Park and Aspen. There's nothing in the northern Rockies or BC, nothing but Stratton in the East and Deer Valley in Utah.

This is the end stage of industry consolidation, so expect everything to get more pricey. They don't do that stuff to make it cheaper.

dm

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
MAX Pass is going away? I think that might fall into the same category with the rumors around the RMSP+ or "Copper will be odd mountain out". If a pass is successful, like the RMSP+, why would they discontinue it? There is risk of alienating a lot of the front range. Lots like the option of skiing Copper and/or WP/MJ. I can't see them taking that away to include a pass for WP/MJ with limited days at Steamboat and Aspen.

Same can be said of the MAX Pass. If it's working why would it go away?

Honestly I'm not convinced we will see Intrawest removed from alliances unless the costs involved becomes too much. I think you will see more of a structure somewhat similar to the Epic product. More different passes that include days to specific resorts or if you are willing to pay more, then additional resorts would be included.

PassCo is still in Denver

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'd just heard from someone on here, can't remember who that it was or vanishing next year or there was at least talk of it. I agree, if it's working, why have it go away. I personally wasn't thinking it was going anywhere and was looking forward to next season and getting it. I love that there's a lot for the northeast on it currently and I hope much of that stays. I go out west with the ski club or this year we're hitting banff again to visit a friend but other than once or two trips a season I'm a new englander all the way. I'll have to check out what it morphs into next year and then make a decision if I want to buy it when they first release early bird pricing.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
If a pass is successful, like the RMSP+, why would they discontinue it? There is risk of alienating a lot of the front range. Lots like the option of skiing Copper and/or WP/MJ. I can't see them taking that away to include a pass for WP/MJ with limited days at Steamboat and Aspen.

Same can be said of the MAX Pass. If it's working why would it go away?
Just because you like RSMP and I like MAX pass doesn't mean it's working. The new owners will decide what works for them. I just don't see a business strategy that just leaves RSMP as is and adds Aspen and Mammoth to MAX pass. I think the point of the KSL/Aspen merger was to create a group that could stand on its own, without sharing revenue with competitors.

This is my prediction: Next year MAX pass or a similar product will lose the Intrawest resorts but add a few independents, Epic will remain about the same, RSMP will be different or even gone, and there will be a KSL pass that does not include Aspen or DV, and premium KSL passes that include those.

dm

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think we may see the MAX evolve to be an EPIC type unlimited pass for the KSL/Aspen/INTRAWEST combined entity. That may leave BOYNE/ORDA/RCR/POWDR/Triple Peaks behind. Maybe Mountain Collective can step up their game and grab some of them. They are sorely lacking in the east.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Max pass has pretty good Eastern and Western mountains even without Intrawest, so I think it survives on its own in some form, maybe with a different name. I don't think the remaining Max pass resorts are a good fit with the KSL properties, which are all more upscale.

KSL/Aspen could go head to head with Epic with some kind of pass, especially if the other Mountain Collective resorts to jump in.

All these acquisitions are killing me, because in the East I'm surrounded by Max pass resorts, and I ski Maxpass/RMSP resorts in Colorado every year with my son. Max pass is like the answer to the question "what would Dave do?"

dm

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For @Dave Marshak ... and others surrounded by maxpass resorts in the east coast, any suggestions on reasonable accommodations near by for midweek non holiday lodging besides the usual VRBO or area sponsored ski and stay.
Primarily, southern. VT, NH
K-ton / Pico
Stratton / Okemo
Loon

Perhaps time for a maxpass lodging thread

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
ny suggestions on reasonable accommodations near by for midweek non holiday lodging besides the usual VRBO or area sponsored ski and stay.
Primarily, southern. VT, NH
K-ton / Pico
Stratton / Okemo
Loon

Homestyle Hostel in Ludlow
The Notch Hostel in Woodstock, NH
The Bunkhouse at Cascade Ski Lodge, Lake Placid
North Creek Heads in Beds, near Gore
Upper Pass Lodge near Magic has economy rooms for $54 and is within reach of Stratton and Okemo.
AMC Lodge at the Highland Center has affordable rooms and is striking distance to Loon.

Sponsor

Staff online