• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Look Pivot Bindings - Which Applications?

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
For those of us who don't have prior experience with the Look Pivot bindings (I am primarily looking at the 12 and 14 models), which ski applications are they best suited for and why? I'm not looking for the typical comparison discussions about smaller heel footprint for better ski flex, 7 points of contact in heel, elasticity, etc. I am more looking for which kinds of skis/skiing these are best suited for and why. I have only skied on Tyrolia, Marker and Salomon bindings in the past, so just don't have exposure to or experience with the Look Pivots. Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 12 and 14 are the same exact binding in build, just different springs inside. Which ever color matches what you need, go with them.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Thanks. What I'm looking for some input on is the best application for these bindings. Are they a better match for free skiing, mid-fat and wider applications, or are they a legitimate option for frontside carvers as well?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks. What I'm looking for some input on is the best application for these bindings. Are they a better match for free skiing, mid-fat and wider applications, or are they a legitimate option for frontside carvers as well?

I believe they are designed for wider skis ( >85mm) and Freeskiing / All mountain use. Look has another product line for carving/racing applications.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They work well in every application...wayyyyy over thinking. #getoutandski

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
They work well in all forms of alpine skiing. As noted above by @Mike75 , I find them SLIGHTLY harder to put back on in powder than some of my other bindings. I wouldn't call it a PITA to put on in powder, just a minor additional hassle.....

Great bindings.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
One thing I occasionally don't like about them on narrow skis is how low the brakes are. For example:

img_20171231_164610-jpg.36189

Even with the boot clicked in, the catchy nubs on the brake arms (not the ends but the little side > things) were only 4mm above the snow; rather annoying for high angle carves. The remount was with 10mm Vist plates, which solved the problem but killed the short mounting distance benefit. I would have been just as well off going for a Rockerace/Rockerflex.

(The sneaky thing about those Vist plates is that they let me put on any binding without redrilling. I will say that the Looks were noticeably damper and somewhat lighter than the Markers on there now)

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
They are great bindings. They have a shorter mount distance than most bindings so they allow the ski to flex more evenly without the binding interference. They also have great retention and elasticity. They are extremely popular with the park kids for that reason.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
One thing I occasionally don't like about them on narrow skis is how low the brakes are. For example:

Even with the boot clicked in, the catchy nubs on the brake arms (not the ends but the little side > things) were only 4mm above the snow; rather annoying for high angle carves. The remount was with 10mm Vist plates, which solved the problem but killed the short mounting distance benefit. I would have been just as well off going for a Rockerace/Rockerflex.

(The sneaky thing about those Vist plates is that they let me put on any binding without redrilling. I will say that the Looks were noticeably damper and somewhat lighter than the Markers on there now)

You can get more clearance from brake arm to snow by bending the arms up slightly.....

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
I believe they are designed for wider skis ( >85mm) and Freeskiing / All mountain use. Look has another product line for carving/racing applications.

They actually used to be the stock binding on Rossi's race line too.

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier

Not to get offtrack here, but Wow! those are beautiful skis!!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you looked at Rockerace/Rockerflex at all?

Slightly OT but I have both Rockerflex 18 and rockerflex SPX15 on Rossi race skis. Whereas on the previous generation PX/mfx race bindings the 15 and 18 heels were mechanically the same apart from the 15 having more plastic, on the rockerflex bindings the SPX 15 heel is significantly different from the 18. In comparison the 15 is harder, and requires a different action, to step into and feels mechanically "rough" compared to the smooth action of the 18 (which uses basically the same mechanics and lever point as the previous binding. For me it is noticeable enough that I am probably going to change out the 15s on my slaloms to 18s

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider

Even with the boot clicked in, the catchy nubs on the brake arms (not the ends but the little side > things) were only 4mm above the snow; rather annoying for high angle carves.

Getting fwd pressure spot on on a Pivot is important, the indicator line is NOT correct. It's a good starting point, but you should insert the boot and pull forward on the cuff, if the brakes move, add more fwd p. Do this until there is no movement of the boot. Stop as soon as movement stops, don't over do it, but you get brake droop if you under do it.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know what you mean scots, it’s like the throw is so short you really have to slam into them , it really is annoying.

Sponsor