• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
After really stressing over my skis for the season, I made the call to pull the trigger on some Endurance 98's - despite what my closest ski pals advised.

In the summer & fall, I sold off about 10 sets of boards to make the conversation to GripWalk & was basically left with a new custom pair of Renoun 104s that @Cyrus Schenck was kind enough to set me up with as my only alpine skis:

IMG_1836.JPG

ATs, my beauties & wife's FIS GS boards.

Talking to Cyrus, I set them up at -1cm to have more of a tips up/hauling charger. I was really impressed with the Renoun support in sorting out where / what to mount on the 104's.

After testing a bunch of skis at Mount Hood & even turning down paid skis, I recalled demoing the Renouns plus @Guy in Shorts passion for the E98 as a fellow Killington ripper. It was simple, 104 at -1 & 98 at 0 both with GripWalk / Jester 16 ID's = DONE / PROBLEMS SOLVED!

Now most of my friends say that 98 / 104 is too close, but the differences in mounts plus the Renoun capacity to absorb undulations- it's a perfect quiver.

Last edited:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First impressions.....they're amazingly light. You can hand flex them and make the HDT work. Flexing them slowly gives a smooth soft even flex. If you rapidly and forcefully flex the ski it is stiff...... Bindings will be mounted tomorrow. I am taking them to Killington for the World Cup weekend. I will report my findings....

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After really stressing over my skis for the season, I made the call to pull the trigger on some Endurance 98's - despite what my closest ski pals advised.

In the summer & fall, I sold off about 10 sets of boards to make the conversation to GripWalk & was basically left with a new custom pair of Renoun 104s that @Cyrus Schenck was kind enough to set me up with as my only alpine skis:

View attachment 33343
ATs, my beauties & wife's FIS GS boards.

Talking to Cyrus, I set them up at -1cm to have more of a tips up/hauling charger. I was really impressed with the Renoun support in sorting out where / what to mount on the 104's.

After testing a bunch of skis at Mount Hood & even turning down paid skis, I recalled demoing the Renouns plus @Guy in Shorts passion for the E98 as a fellow Killington ripper. It was simple, 104 at -1 & 98 at 0 both with GripWalk / Jester 16 ID's = DONE / PROBLEMS SOLVED!

Now most of my friends say that 98 / 104 is too close, but the differences in mounts plus the Renoun capacity to absorb undulations- it's a perfect quiver.

I'm looking at going wiiiide for my deep day ski.....like 114 to 118. I think the same thing as most your friends....too close. Not that it's right or wrong, just seems too close. I'm looking at the Armada Tracer 118 CHX right now.......

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK first day impressions......
Don't even know they are there......Granted there isn't a lot of terrain open at Killington but the blues here (like most everywhere else) are blacks back in Michigan. I bombed some good runs with lots of rollers, lots of side pitch, mixed boiler plate, soft snow, and man made piles of shit boot deep. Nailed it. They never bucked, they never twisted, they never chattered. My quads let go long before I had enough time to really start pushing it.... I'm not used to a 98 ski so I didn't get in too many really good high speed rail turns.....that and there was too much traffic most of the time....I'll push it more tomorrow if I have room. They will definitely edge, I just haven't had the time and room with them to find it, play with it, and push it yet. So far, I absolutely love them. I just wish I was in better shape.....

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Second day impressions.....
Same thing strikes me......you don’t even know they’re there.... packed here today. Snow was good up top. The bottom was a shit show. Anyway, still haven’t gotten to really open them up but they make any turn shape I’ve wanted. Bottom got piled high with mounds of man made and boilerplate ice underneath. They edged, pivoted, rolled over and plowed through any line I chose (or was unable to hold ). Man my legs are burnt. Tomorrow is a day off for us. We will concentrate on spectating the GS race and the party. Sunday we will put Day 3 on the Renouns, day 4 on me.....

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK....I am sadly back in Michigan after 13 hrs. on the road. We skied a lot yesterday. 4 Gondola trips and laps up top on the Northridge Triple. Saturday was warm in Killington with a bit of rain in the afternoon, Sunday was COLD. They closed a number of runs and a couple I wanted to run were just sheer ice. We did run a couple shots down highline, east fall, and mouse trap. East fall was in the best shape, good snow. I skied lines that I've never skied before on the Renouns with a level of confidence in terrain this tactical that I've not had before. My legs were in fairly good shape with a couple day workout and a day off. Mouse trap is a short pitch of icy bumps and I had no problem cutting the diagonal trough line or simply stivoting around them. I only bit the dust once all weekend and I ejected the one ski when it's tail (uphill foot) caught something hard enough coming out of a turn to twist my boot out of the binding. I was light on that foot and whatever it caught just snapped my leg around, ski popped off and I just set it down on my hip, actually grabbed the ski as I went down and slid about 20 feet to a stop, stood on my good ski, tossed the loose ski down, stepped in the binding, and took back off in near perfect fluid motion.....My son was laughing his ass off. It is now known as the slickest wipeout ever. LOL

All told for the whole weekend at Killington I give the ski 5 stars. A 98 was definitely a lot more ski than was needed for the conditions at Killington. For comparison......I could've bombed my pursuits hp's (81 waist) all weekend there although they turn into a bucking bronco in the bumps and I would've been miserable in the 2' piles of manmade sugar shit snow that piled up by lunch time at the bottom. The pursuits and I would've ate the ice up. Comparatively I would've had an absolutely miserable time trying to ski that stuff on the Souls. There would've been nowhere up there that didn't have a speed limit for the Souls and they would've really needed a patient touch and strong legs on the ice sugar mix. The Renouns however did it all very well. As well as I could drive them, they delivered. Again, a 98 was definitely more ski than needed but I suffered nothing for it. I had a great time. Kevin loved his Atomics and his new Head boots and he is really progressing good too. We had a great time.

I can't wait to get the Renouns in some deeper soft snow. I also plan to get them up to the local hill where I can get out there pretty much alone under the lights and start railing these skis. I did manage to edge some really nice runs down rime, reason, and chute but there was always some traffic to be aware of and I never really pushed it. Here at home I will get the chance to really hook them up and find the sweet spot. I never really felt the rapid spring acceleration I get out of my race skis and pursuits when I bend them (metal). I need to play with these some more. They may not deliver that level of spring at all which is fine. I didn't buy them for that. I've a wall of skis that can do that lol.......

View media item 2017View media item 2022View media item 2021

Last edited:

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
For the east or mid-west snow, why choose the E98 instead of the Z90 or Z77?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For the east or mid-west snow, why choose the E98 instead of the Z90 or Z77?
I bought them for out West. I’ve a wall of racers and carvers. I bought Soul 7’s in 2015 as my out west all mountain ski and was disappointed.

DrGT

Booting up
Skier
I am now patiently waiting for my Endurance 98, as well as the snow to fall at my place.

Does anyone now what the the factory edge angle? I assume it is 1/1, but I think 1/2 might be better for grip on piste.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I am now patiently waiting for my Endurance 98, as well as the snow to fall at my place.

Does anyone now what the the factory edge angle? I assume it is 1/1, but I think 1/2 might be better for grip on piste.

I was told 1:1. I'd verify this along with flatness and probably bump it to at least 1:2, but why not ski them first and see how they grip.

James

Out There
Instructor
I was told 1:1. I'd verify this along with flatness and probably bump it to at least 1:2, but why not ski them first and see how they grip.
...because only young kids ski a 1/1? ogsmile
I tuned the demo pair all the animals,...er..the Pugskiers, were using at Abasin. Think that was May '16. They got a 3deg side in the cgeib garage. I'm not sure @cgeib even owns a 1 deg guide, and 4 deg was deemed a tad excessive.:eek:

Sponsor

Staff online