• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I need to go back and try the Farmstock varieties again. I jumped on them when they first were released and found them rough and unfinished. I've since learned that was a not uncommon reaction and they've become better balanced since then. We shall see. I've yet to sample any BH, but hope to soon. I'll look for #10!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I need to go back and try the Farmstock varieties again. I jumped on them when they first were released and found them rough and unfinished. I've since learned that was a not uncommon reaction and they've become better balanced since then. We shall see. I've yet to sample any BH, but hope to soon. I'll look for #10!
yeah, the early Farmstock put me off Whistle Pig altogether. I'll have reintroduce myself to their lineup.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
The 2023 release of Farmstock Beyond Bonded was very interesting. It included a rye, bourbon, and wheat. The rye was good, but not all that different from their standard ryes. The bourbon and wheat were great though. I immediately picked up a bottle of the wheat as it was unlike anything I’d had before. That said, a few people who tried it with me were not as keen on it. If you can find the wheat or bourbon, I’d highly recommend them. The issue is availability. I think they only made three barrels of the wheat and nine barrels of the bourbon.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have you had the 15 year old WP? How would you compare the 10 yr BH to it?
The 15 year is really good, but pricy. Better than the boss hog for the $$, but I’m not a fan of finished ryes And don’t care for the 12 year old world either. The best deals are the 10 year store picks, which are a little higher proof. There was a time where some of the store picks were actually 15-18 years old. KL wines had 5 different barrels of those, and I was lucky to get a few. Those were amazing, right up there with the Saz 18.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few finds from my overnight trip to Cape Cod with the wife. None of them were on my search list but the store had a tasting table set up with a bunch of bourbons and these were too good to not buy, especially the Midwinter Night's.

CCfinds.jpeg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A few finds from my overnight trip to Cape Cod with the wife. None of them were on my search list but the store had a tasting table set up with a bunch of bourbons and these were too good to not buy, especially the Midwinter Night's.

View attachment 223953
I always like the 1792 products. I just the newly released Full Proof 1792. Good as all their products

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried to start a scotch thread on AlpineZone … Crickets.

I‘ve been into peated scotches lately. Any Ardbeg Wee Beastie fans out there?
Ardbeg Corryvrecken is a regular on my shelf. My fave peated scotch. But my fave scotch is Dalmore Cigar Malt.

Abubob

Booting up
Skier
Ardbeg Corryvrecken is a regular on my shelf. My fave peated scotch. But my fave scotch is Dalmore Cigar Malt.
How does Corryvrecken compare to the other Ardbegs? One of the things I like about Wee Beastie is … I can afford to drink it. I‘d no doubt like the Dalmore but would be afraid to drink it all away.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m not familiar with all those Ardbeg expressions that have been coming out - my main preferences are for American whiskies - and I’m not good at identifying all the elements of a given expression. But I’d say Corryvrecken is a pretty much classic well-aged scotch on the peated, smoky side, but very refined without any overemphasized flavors.

And yeah, the Dalmore Cigar Malt is a little spendy to be an everyday guzzler. :rocks:

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any Utah folks know if High West has a Bourye release for this year? Usually comes out Feb 1st and haven’t heard a thing.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I was in Park City a couple weeks ago and found Bourye at a bar. Great pour! Didn't see bottles for sale anywhere though, so apparently these were from a prior year's batch?
Most likely. The batch/year is on the bottle.

Abubob

Booting up
Skier
I have a question about Irish whiskey. I friend gifted me with a bottle of Redbreast 12. I really enjoyed it and now of course it's gone. Any suggestions for a less expensive alternatives?

Sponsor

Staff online