• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have to say, I am not a Jack fan. If the moast common way to have a drink is "With Coke", makes me question the quality/taste.
I generally like milder brown liquors (Irish and Canadians), but I can enjoy jack straight. Jim on the other hand needs a lot of coke.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tying this amber liquid subject back to skiing, a side trip an hour north of Niseko is the Yoichi distillery of Nikka Whisky which offers the fascinating tale of its Japanese founder (who abandoned his family sake business to study whisky making in Glasgow in 1910's), his Scottish wife, and ample complimentary tasting.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I generally like milder brown liquors (Irish and Canadians), but I can enjoy jack straight. Jim on the other hand needs a lot of coke.

That's when I just head over to the brandy & cognac aisle.

I have to say, I am not a Jack fan. If the moast common way to have a drink is "With Coke", makes me question the quality/taste.

There's nothing to question. It tastes like horse glue smells.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Yup, Jack is really mild so it isn't bad at all straight. I think the rest of yous have just killed your palates drinking heartier stuff. :D

Jim is undrinkable without a mixer in it, though.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like getting you started on brown liquors.
Well, you have to be careful or something like this can happen if decide you might want to get serious about brown liquor:
5B841C30-6F7E-4337-A8B9-88570E29B971_zpszn3zfypy.jpg

I only add a little water, and very rarely at that.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
image.jpg I recently tried the Tin Cup you have ^^^. Pretty good stuff.

Saw this at the store today, hadn't had it, and decided to give it a shot. Review forthcoming -

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
I used to live an hour or so down the road from Lynchburg (Jack) and Tullahoma (George Dickel). Whenever we had someone come in to town for work they wanted to go do the distillery tour, so I did the JD tour a few times. The irony is that JD is distilled in a dry county (Moore Co., TN). The only place you can buy liquor in the county is at the end of the JD distillery tour and in "limited edition" bottles.

Not a real fan of either, if buying domestic I go for Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, or Maker's Mark.

Woodford Reserve makes a great Old Fashioned. However, the best Old Fashioned I've had is at the Boka Bar in Seattle. They have a maple-infused bourbon made especially for them but is only available during the winter months if you happen to be in the Emerald City. I hope the recent acquisition of the Hotel 1000 (where the Boka is located) by Loews Hotels does not have a negative impact on the Boka.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Re the Chefs Collaboration pictured above, I like it. It's a bit sweet/fruity to my taste, but not so much as to be off putting. It strikes me more as an after dinner cocktail over ice than a pre-meal drink. Well balanced overall, but I get more bourbon than rye. I wouldn't pick it in the heat of summer or depth of winter. As a spring or fall after dinner drink while the check sits there and no one is itching to go home, it's about perfect - the last drink you're not really sure you want and don't want to regret before turning in.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like getting you started on brown liquors.
I'm still not sure how Phil did it, but he turned me into a bourbon and scotch girl.

I have to blame my dad. He was a Scotch man so when I started drinking, that's what I ordered. I am still partial to Ballantines which was his favorite. I enjoy Glefiddich, but it is too smooth and I drink it like water, so that's dangerous. I really liked Laphroaig the few times I've had it, but in the end I prefer a blend over a single malt. I like to taste my liquor.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
You guys made me want to get something more better than Jack. So I picked up a bottle of Knob Creek, courtesy of a gift card from Christmas.

You're trying to abandon me here at the kids' table!

I had decided to venture out a bit myself. Tonight I ordered Bulleit. It's not really for me, so ... try, try again.

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
I'm more of a wine guy, but when I go stronger...

Scotch: The Yamazaki
Bourbon: Four Roses Small Batch
Rye: Bulleit
Cognac: Chateau de Montifaud XO

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
You're trying to abandon me here at the kids' table!

I had decided to venture out a bit myself. Tonight I ordered Bulleit. It's not really for me, so ... try, try again.
Nope. I still have half a bottle of Jack that I very much enjoy. So I guess I'm relegated to the kids' table 'til I permanently give that up.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, Jack is really mild so it isn't bad at all straight. I think the rest of yous have just killed your palates drinking heartier stuff. :D

Jim is undrinkable without a mixer in it, though.

got to liking Jack on the rocks, this after a long long time of not drinking any whiskey, whisky, scotch, rye, etc. This due to a bad drunk years back on cheap stuff (or maybe it was the quantity) while at an Ozzie concert ...

Started trying a few after getting a tall shot top shelf at a furriers in Steamboat, surprised the stuff was good. Not knowing anything on these I like this post!

Checked out various sites such as LAwhiskeysociety.com site where one can sort by name, type, cost, etc. Being cheap and new to this stuff I checked out what I've had, where it ranks and then sort on price and may try higher ranked at lower cost .. least wise I can look about and see what I might like prior to the cost

I think I'll check out the High West ... that I can find

... ahhhh, Vodka is so much easier ...

Sponsor

Staff online