• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
FYI, good base at Furano. Premium got pretty well skied out on the three-day weekend.
FWIW, mix of rain/snow on lower half yesterday; not sure how high it went but may leave an unstable layer under the next powder dump.

Thanks for the intel Jim. We won't be hitting Furano for another 9 days, so conditions will likely have changed a lot by then. Will keep an eye on it though when we venture out that way. Hope you are getting some quality turns in.
Kind regards,
Matt

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Had a few good runs, yes. Hoping for more in Niseko the next two weekends. Expect you'll be getting some great conditions in the Otaru zone for the coming week.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see major snowfall tomorrow welcoming Pugski to Hokkaido. Hope everyone arrives safely and is ready to enjoy some Japow!

@Jim McDonald, I went bc in Chisenupuri Wed and Thu with my new Japanese friend who spends 6 days a week around there. We had such gloriously sunny morning yesterday, he claimed it’s the first this season.

What a phenomenal season already in Hokkaido!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Looks to be some nice tree skiing at Chisenupuri, Jenny. How long is the skin up to the top?

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Day 5: Jan 8th – Kokusai

Yep, Kokusai again! I was thinking that I was going to have a mellow day and go and have an easy ski and explore around Snow Cruise Onze, but Ella messaged me and said she was keen to explore the area that I had taken her husband Julian and my friend Jarrah around. I couldn’t say no. Jeb and his wife Claire were also up for a mission. We didn’t get out too early: I met the crew in Asari at Julien and Ella’s place and then Ella drove us up in her car. We got there after 10am and the carpark was really crowded. We had to go all the way down to the lower lot which I’ve never had to park in before. It had been like that the day before (this is a holiday long-weekend apparently) so I was hopeful we’d still find our zone nice and quiet.

I wasn’t into having a big day and no one else was either, so we just bought a single gondola ride ticket for 1,400 JPY and would focus on one big lap. We’d take the same line as the day before as there was still plenty of untouched snow to be had. The wind had pretty much filled in our skin track but I could make it out here and there and could feel it in the deep snow. It didn’t take long for the snowmobilers to start braaaping around again, oh well….. After about 25 minutes we reached the saddle and then I put in some kick turns up the steep face. It was really hard work trying to put in the turns in knee deep snow and I spent extra time trying to flatten out the kick turn zone into a platform to make the turns easier for everyone else. It was hard work but we got there. We got to the top of the face and all of our tracks were gone from yesterday. The wind had filled it in but thankfully we couldn’t feel any stiff and potentially reactive new wind slab. I dropped in first so I could film the rest of the crew coming down.

The snow was definitely thicker than the day before but it was still fun skiing. There’s something about skiing a completely untouched canvas that will never get old…… everyone was pretty fired up and already liking it. Then we had to traverse back up through the trees to regain the ridge. I dropped us in a little sooner given the wind; I felt the snow would be better in the gullies and it was. We had several nice pitches of fresh snow (softer then the top open face) and did a nice team ski on the lower angle open ramp at the bottom. It was really fun! Then we had our exit which was easy to find and out we came.

The guys all loved the run and all in all, we were out for about 3 hours. Not bad for 1,400 JPY! Then we had a long lunch and of course, a soft-serve ice cream. Good times! Tomorrow my good friend Bob Gleason, ex-owner of the Bootdoctors in Telluride is coming to town and I will be showing him around for the next few days. Looking forward to it. It feels like my legs are starting to get a bit stronger now thankfully and my (brand new) Lange ski boots aren’t killing me as much. Good times!

DSC06329.JPG
Skinning out to our zone. For the first time, I had a view of the ocean and the outskirts of Sapporo, plus a view of the top of Tiene. Amazing what is out there when you can actually see!

DSC06330.JPG
Putting in these kickturns on this steep, knee deep slope was really hard. Definitely earned my beer that night!

DSC06332.JPG
Ella getting excited, not long to go till we drop!

DSC06333.JPG
More hard work on the way out. Crossing the creek and then the bootpack up the other side.

- Matt

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This report is amazing, particularly since there are several contributers currently enjoying the fresh powder in Japan.

A lot of us will never make it to Japan, so please keep those reports and pictures coming!!!

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rusutsu got 20 cm or 8 inches overnight, I didn’t start until 11 am but still had plenty of fresh tracks in the trees. Think I’m getting jaded about having good powder so often...

@Mattadvproject, my brother’s family had season pass (~$150 for an adult) at Onze two years ago which offered unlimited half off some 40 Hokkaido resorts, including Niseko, Tomamu, and Furano. Onze has a truly spectacular view for the Sea of Japan.

@Jim McDonald, we didn’t reach the top of Chisenupuri. Sexagenarian Nii-San is quite particular about when he hikes up to the summit, only sunny days w/minimal wind. We watched a group descend on the totally wind buffed face, why would you work so hard to do that?! We did smaller laps instead. Nii-San has high-res photos from his camera which I’ll get/post next week.

The past few days have been more about learning, practicing, hanging out, and just enjoying being in the woods, often making the only tracks in sight. Since Nii-San and I never skied together, we took Tuesday afternoon (after the rain) to practice beacon search and shoveling a heavy pile created by the Kimobetsu town snow removal service. Wednesday morning at Chisenupuri parking lot we ran into and exchanged a few words with Clayton of Black Diamond Tour/Lodge, House of Powder (who started the cat operation at Chisenupuri a year ago), and the Shimamaki cat operation. Nii-San and I dug a number of snow pits both days at Chisenupuri, including the first I’ve ever completely dug myself... I hate my curved Black Diamond Deploy 3 shovel, I need a flat blade!

Despite the language barrier, I’ve loved staying in an unique guesthouse inside a converted 3 classsroom elementary school with a Japanese family every mid-week in Kimobetsu and befriending Nii-San. They’re like family now. And what a dream come true to ski bc with a Japanese telemarker! @markojp, you would really enjoy meeting Nii-San.

@skibum4ever, sorry I haven’t been in the mindset to reply to the diva trip planning private conversation. Good to see you and @albertanskigirl here!
8410FC29-A9BD-40CB-BC80-249B85930FAD.jpeg 4E8901D7-160A-45AE-A352-3CC8A9D3757A.jpeg 07E5531C-9447-4173-AE52-6350761F42A2.jpeg 0EE80193-9348-4639-843C-36E19D736438.jpeg 2D3CB866-36E3-41FD-B0B6-551D72AEE517.jpeg E15B3F9A-EE67-4A7C-9BED-A3EF82DD6533.jpeg C51F7BBC-A61E-4E29-8844-347736E0368E.jpeg 2D3D70B5-8DF6-4C6B-B53A-0A6A4FE9E2FB.jpeg

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Jenny, I'm sure Nii-san and I have common acquaintances. If you have a chance, stop by Toryu ( bottom of hirafu) and check out takanashi-san's shop. Loved tour laps at Chise!!! A little sad to hear about cat access though. Nothing is that hard to get to. Glad you're having a great experience!!! ogsmile

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can you find steep terrain there?
Asking because most photos show low angle terrain.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Rusutsu got 20 cm or 8 inches overnight, I didn’t start until 11 am but still had plenty of fresh tracks in the trees. Think I’m getting jaded about having good powder so often...

@Mattadvproject, my brother’s family had season pass (~$150 for an adult) at Onze two years ago which offered unlimited half off some 40 Hokkaido resorts, including Niseko, Tomamu, and Furano. Onze has a truly spectacular view for the Sea of Japan.

@Jim McDonald, we didn’t reach the top of Chisenupuri. Sexagenarian Nii-San is quite particular about when he hikes up to the summit, only sunny days w/minimal wind. We watched a group descend on the totally wind buffed face, why would you work so hard to do that?! We did smaller laps instead. Nii-San has high-res photos from his camera which I’ll get/post next week.

The past few days have been more about learning, practicing, hanging out, and just enjoying being in the woods, often making the only tracks in sight. Since Nii-San and I never skied together, we took Tuesday afternoon (after the rain) to practice beacon search and shoveling a heavy pile created by the Kimobetsu town snow removal service. Wednesday morning at Chisenupuri parking lot we ran into and exchanged a few words with Clayton of Black Diamond Tour/Lodge, House of Powder (who started the cat operation at Chisenupuri a year ago), and the Shimamaki cat operation. Nii-San and I dug a number of snow pits both days at Chisenupuri, including the first I’ve ever completely dug myself... I hate my curved Black Diamond Deploy 3 shovel, I need a flat blade!

Despite the language barrier, I’ve loved staying in an unique guesthouse inside a converted 3 classsroom elementary school with a Japanese family every mid-week in Kimobetsu and befriending Nii-San. They’re like family now. And what a dream come true to ski bc with a Japanese telemarker! @markojp, you would really enjoy meeting Nii-San.

@skibum4ever, sorry I haven’t been in the mindset to reply to the diva trip planning private conversation. Good to see you and @albertanskigirl here!
View attachment 37029 View attachment 37030 View attachment 37031 View attachment 37032 View attachment 37033 View attachment 37034 View attachment 37035 View attachment 37036

Loving the TR, @Rainbow Jenny - beautiful conditrions. I really hope I can get to Japan one of these years!!!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Can you find steep terrain there?
Asking because most photos show low angle terrain.

Rod, if you're looking for steep stuff, Teine Highlands near Sapporo is steeper. (As are the Japan Alps, etc... Many of the day touring areas are 35-40'ish. It's all about the amount and quality of the snow. The cultural experience is awesome as well, but it isn't for everyone.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Day 6: Jan 9th – Teine Highlands

There was a big storm coming into the Otaru area. There were big winds and some decent moisture in the forecast, unfortunately it was going to start off pretty wet. Otaru was several degrees above freezing and forecast for rain. The resorts were also forecasting rain down low and snow up high. It wouldn’t be pretty!

My longtime friend Bob Gleason, ex-owner of the Bootdoctors in Telluride was arriving for a few days skiing with me in Otaru. There weren’t too many great choices to be made for the skiing so I suggested Teine as it has fun (steep) terrain for skiing if there isn’t fresh snow. It takes about 45 minutes to get there on the coast road from Otaru and is an easy drive. It was a good time for job to see some of the seaside development along the way to Teine.

We didn’t get there till after 9am and the carpark was pretty quiet. We got a parking space near the main lodge. When we walked inside it was time to introduce Bob to the vending machines and he bought a can of hot coffee with milk and sugar already added. He said it was pretty good. We bought a 5 hour pass and headed straight to the high speed quad chair (with bubble cover). This is a great lift and in 4 minutes, takes you from the bottom of the Highlands area all the way to the highest point that gives access to the sidecountry gate where all the best steep terrain is.

Bob wanted to do a little warmup first and we jumped into the black run near the chair. It was definitely a good warmup as it was all bumps. Nothing like steep bumps with fat skis and BC packs on. It was hard work but a good warmup. We were ready to get into the chutes after that. On our next run we skied the furthest across shoot on the far skier’s left. The left side had some untouched (but very wet snow on it on the left side. Bob went first and then I dropped in and had fun staying up on some ridges to the left. I kicked off a little wet slide that broke off, off a steep face. It moved downhill infront of me as I was making a turn and the debris unbalanced me a little but I was able to ski through it and out. It was only very small but a reminder that on steep slopes, the snow would definitely move.

There are 4 nice chutes to ski in that zone and we ticked them off one by one. We didn’t get too much into the trees as the snow was really heavy. If you ski Teine on a good powder day, getting first tracks on any of these runs would be pretty epic. Then we skied a few different areas and rode a couple of different chairs, just to show Bob the rest of the mountain, the highlight being the women’s GS course from the 1972 Sapporo Winter Olympics. That run hits 40 degrees and is very steep. We finished off with a late lunch just after 2pm and then we were done with the skiing.

I showed Bob the guy who makes the little toasted pancake filled fishes. When they are done, then he uses chopsticks to flip then at high speed one after the other, into a metal tray. It’s pretty impressive to watch. We had a little rest each when we got back to the hotel and then we headed into the canal district for some drinks and dinner. Of course we went to the brewery and Bob tried a couple of the different beers. He, like me, liked the Weisse beer the best. We tried to go to the BBQ place but it was closed, so we went to the sushi train instead. It’s a shame Bob didn’t get the epic powder day he was hoping for on his first day, but there’s still plenty of time for the epicness to return!

Day 7: Jan 10 – Tengu

The storm was showing no signs of slowing down, the temps had dropped and it was snowing, but the winds were howling. There was limited information on the Kokusai website and social media pages and I was concerned that it might be too windy for the gondola to run. The windspeeds had hit 85kph overnight and were slowing only slightly down to 55kph. I made the call to head to Tengu where it is lower and a little more sheltered from the wind. I sent Ella and Julian a message that were changing plans and heading to Tengu instead. Hopefully we’d see them there.

As always the GPS tried to take us on all of these crazy backroads and we got there just before 9am. There were not many cars in the carpark and we rushed to get our gear on. The main face had been partially groomed but there was plenty of fresh off to the sides of the main run. The tram was the only thing running, the double and single chairs were down with the wind. We missed the 9am tram but got a 5 hour ticket and were on the 912am tram. There was a tele skier with us and no one else. Sweet! We took the main run. It the very top it was wind-scoured and very icy, but as we dropped over the roll, it got softer and we found some nice snow. It was pretty deep in places but a few icy hard spots that you definitely felt. You couldn’t go too fast. We lapped real fast and jumped on the next tram.

For the next run, we headed to the next groomer on the skier’s left side and found nice, deep, wind-blown snow in the side of the run where it hadn’t been groomed. Then it was time to try the trees. I was concerned if it would be crunchy underneath or if the new snow would cover up the refrozen rain affected snow. It was pretty good, that gave us the confidence to try some more trees and we went into another set of trees after that. The snow was really nice in there. Then we came back up and did the trees on the far left side after a little uphill hike to make the traverse. They were wind-affected at the start, then really nice as they rolled over steeper (better shelter from the wind). That was nice skiing. Then we tried a run on the skier’s right side and that was the pick of the bunch.

We had the place to ourselves; it was just Bob and I cutting laps in by ourselves. We got in 5 nice laps. Then we saw Julian, Ella, Claire and Jeb getting tickets. We had a big group of 6 now. That would change things. We headed into the trees on the right again, a little further in and found really nice snow. We had a great ski down and when we came out, there was a patroller there watching us. He came over and said it was a closed run. Well, where we were is marked as a yellow area, a place you can go at your own risk. He thought we had gone out to the steep run on the far side and that had slid again (it had slid last season too) and we told him we had only gone a little way into the woods and not all the way across.

He seemed to say that was ok, as long as we took it easy. Fine by us. We skied a few different runs and then several groups of Westerners started turning up. Both Kiroro and Kokusai had been shut down. This was pretty much the only gig in town so a bunch of hungry powder-seeking Westerners started hitting all the trees. There’s only 2 patrollers working full-time here at Tengu and I think they were a bit overwhelmed. Out came all the fences and English warning signs and they shut down some of the trees. We watched all of this unfold from the overlook in the restaurant whilst we had lunch, it was pretty comical, the patroller staking out the top of the tree runs near the top of the gondola and stopping people from going into the trees and the Westerners playing dodge the patroller. They even put a fence up right outside the exit from the cable car top station to stop people from going around the side of the building. It was a little over the top, seeing how much energy they were having to put into all of this instead of focusing on more pertinent matters.

I hear the owners of the mountain want to attract more Westerners. I would say this scene would be very off-putting to the visitors that day (not the fault of the patrollers as they were likely doing what they are briefed to do). Maybe on a different day the patrollers might be a little bit more relaxed about people skiing in the yellow areas, but I hope they don’t continue to be as aggressive with their patrolling of what could be (and is), really fun skiing. We’ll see. We did a few more runs, finding decent snow at the side of the trail and by 3pm, we were done. Bob and I headed back to the hotel and then that night, we went for a walk around the mall at the side of the hotel and had a really nice cheap dinner at one of the restaurants in the mall. Hopefully Kokusai tomorrow for some decent powder. It’s time!

Attachments

• DSC06334.JPG
    DSC06334.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC06335.JPG
    DSC06335.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC06336.JPG
    DSC06336.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC06339.JPG
    DSC06339.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC06340.JPG
    DSC06340.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC06342.JPG
    DSC06342.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC06343.JPG
    DSC06343.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC06344.JPG
    DSC06344.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC06346.JPG
    DSC06346.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC06347.JPG
    DSC06347.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC06349.JPG
    DSC06349.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC06350.JPG
    DSC06350.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 10

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Mattadvproject, I laughed reading about your steep bump run at Sapporo Teine in fat skis and BC pack as I had the same experience. Somehow that run always reminds me of skiing the bump field off Deep Temerity chair at Aspen Highlands with @KingGrump during 2016 EpicSki gathering.

Teine has a very nice western ski patroller whom I’ve chatted with a couple times. The chutes are obvious avalanche paths that have had at least one major slide once a decade. A new older Japanese ski friend spoke of losing a friend inbound there about 30-40 years ago.

And top of the chutes with clear view of the coastline today. CE288BDC-5025-42D3-9702-E0DA420C5B3D.jpeg

Below is the tai-yaki (fish shaped pastry) man. I polished off a dozen this afternoon, 6 filled w/ sweet red beans, 3 w/cream, 3 w/caramel.

78F1DDF4-5D21-4EF8-80AA-0097C0AC8886.jpeg

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
@Mattadvproject, I laughed reading about your steep bump run at Sapporo Teine in fat skis and BC pack as I had the same experience. Somehow that run always reminds me of skiing the bump field off Deep Temerity chair at Aspen Highlands with @KingGrump during 2016 EpicSki gathering.

Teine has a very nice western ski patroller whom I’ve chatted with a couple times. The chutes are obvious avalanche paths that have had at least one major slide once a decade. A new older Japanese ski friend spoke of losing a friend inbound there about 30-40 years ago.

And top of the chutes with clear view of the coastline today. View attachment 37204

Below is the tai-yaki (fish shaped pastry) man. I polished off a dozen this afternoon, 6 filled w/ sweet red beans, 3 w/cream, 3 w/caramel.

View attachment 37203

I met the Western ski patroller at Teine last year, he was really nice. I looked for him last week when I skied there but didn't see him. No visit to Teine would be complete without visiting the fish man, I love how he flips the cooked fish into the tray really fast with chopsticks, when he is done with your order. He's a showman!

Sponsor

Staff online