• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Instep height guidance

gwat

Putting on skis
Skier
We all know how to fit a boot for length but I don’t see much discussion on fitting the instep height. Is there a general guideline for how much space the shell should have over the instep?

I’m in a Lange RS130 with Zipfit WCSW liner and feel like due to the thin toebox of the liner ai have excessive vertical movement of the front third of my foot.
I have pumped about five tubes of cork into each liner, fit seems good in the heel and width feels good but the tongue pocket doesn’t go far enough down my foot to eliminate the excess space. Foot measures 265/262mm and shell is 25.5. I could squeeze into a 24.5 with some bootwork, but would the smaller shell have significantly lower instep? Perhaps a thicker insole is a simple option? Or perhaps I should look at different shells? (I am pretty curious about the Atomic CS130 but not available locally to try on).

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
in general terms as you increase or decrease a size you go up or down by 2mm in width and around 6mm in girth around the foot , with your measurements before you look at the cram n slam of going down another size (with everything else feeling good and working well why go through the process of making a VERY short boot work, are you on the world cup tour? No, didn't think so) i would investigate some padding (probably neoprene) bonded to the top of the toe box of the liner from the base of the tongue forward, this will fill the void space that you are feeling without lifting your foot as a volume reducer or thicker footbed would

Sponsor

Staff online