• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Ikon road trip 2024

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 12 Headed down the road to Steamboat Springs. Wife was feeling better as we dropped down in elevation. Checked off another ski area that we haven’t been to. What an awesome place The Boat is. Meet a couple Killington friends on top of the Wild Blue Gondola that toured us around. My favorite tree run that we skied was Shadows. We stopped for a happy hour at my buddies slope side digs that cost 10 grand for the week. Boondocking on the ranch of a local ski bum is costing us $100 for a few days. Does that make us a 1 % er.

Shadows
IMG_4077.jpeg
slope side
IMG_4078.jpeg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 11 Planned to return to Copper but turned the RV into Mary Jane for a third Winter Park powder day in a row. Hooked up with a local first chair and he toured us around. I am so thankful that brought my 112 underfoot powder skis as they’ve been getting a workout. Steamboat tomorrow is the plan.
View attachment 228078
View attachment 228079
I have a guys trip with three friends to Winter Park the week of March 17, so your photos are providing some good stoke! In other news, it's raining (again) at Killington.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 13 We were 20 minutes late to work today. Hate missing first chair as I need to take into account shuttle ride time at these big resorts. Steamboat has totally lived up to my high expectations. Soft snow, super sweet trees and a beautiful village. Wife snagged the last cinnamon roll at the Four Points Lodge on the mountain just past noon. Grabbed an IPA lunch for myself and we sat outside in Yeti chairs basking in the amazing surroundings.
IMG_4088.jpeg
Love the slow chairs too!
IMG_4089.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Day 13 We were 20 minutes late to work today. Hate missing first chair as I need to take into account shuttle ride time at these big resorts. Steamboat has totally lived up to my high expectations. Soft snow, super sweet trees and a beautiful village. Wife snagged the last cinnamon roll at the Four Points Lodge on the mountain just past noon. Grabbed an IPA lunch for myself and we sat outside in Yeti chairs basking in the amazing surroundings.
View attachment 228470
Love the slow chairs too!
View attachment 228471
You meet Ron?

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those Yeti chairs outside of Four Points are a nice place to plant for a while especially with beer. ;) No beers unless you BYO but there’s a great picnic bench with a fantastic view off of Broadway if you pass through that way,

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
My son was/actually is at Steamboat yesterday. Report was a couple of inches each day and he was going to "rip it" on 112's (ah to have young legs). We going to hit it St Patties Day. Want to check out the new lift and terrain.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 14 Steamboat Springs for my 100th ski day this year. Yes it is all fun and games to show up to ski every day. Skied on Katana 108’s for only the second time this season. I would quickly become spoiled having to ski here regularly. Hands down some of the best tree skiing that I have found anywhere. Finished the day with several laps thru the Shadows. The nation of Texas shows up Saturday we hear so on West we head.
IMG_4097.jpeg
Shadows IMG_4111.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll probably be at Snowbird on Monday morning if you're still around.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 16 Hearing the horror stories from last Sunday we pulled out of Sandy at 6:45 for the 13 mile trip to Snowbird. Parked near the snow at the Cliff Lodge at 7:15 for a 30 minute commute. Lots of sunshine paired with some stiff wind that kept the snow a bit on the firmer side. Bowls and bumps were all edgeable but the soft powder feel was gone. Been a while since I played here and it’s just as grand as I remember. Placed a Killington sticker between a Sugarloaf and Jay Peak stickers on tha Bananas trail sign. Trip down the canyon took 35 minutes at 4:30.
IMG_5434.jpeg IMG_4129.jpeg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 17 Solitude was our skiing stop for the day. We were here last about 25 years ago. Other than the lift out of Honeycomb Canyon the place skis just like remember. Wife loved this mountain then and it still is her favorite now. No lift lines for the first time since we left Vermont. Parking fee may be the reason. Headed from the Great Salt Lake toward a deep blue lake further West. Emptied our black and gray tanks and refilled with fresh water at an Utah state park for $5.

Honeycomb Canyon
IMG_4133.jpeg Bonneville Salt Flats
IMG_4144.jpeg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 18 Travel day to get to Tahoe. Camped in a State Park for the night.
IMG_4145.jpeg

Day 19 Bluebird ski day at PT. Snow quality had me thinking that I chose the wrong coast on which to live. We spent the day with friends that live out here now. We didn’t even stand in a lift line all day. Rented a cabin in the woods down near Homewood ski area. Hanging for a few days taking a break from RV living. Even dozen of ski days so far for the trip.

The Lake
IMG_4152.jpeg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 20 Windy conditions in the mountains so we stayed on the Olympic Valley side lapping all the lifts that weren’t on wind hold. The magic of yesterday was gone yet we still had a good day skiing. Making the best out of day is always the plan.
IMG_4159.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
^ I mean even if the skiing is “marginal”, that’s gorgeous.
It looked just like that at Okemo today!

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
So enjoying reading these reports, as my wife and I have something similar under consideration for the future - Van + Ikon = mega road-trip! Really curious as to how you're finding it living in the van while skiing, particularly the practical aspects of finding somewhere near(ish) to the ski areas to stay for the night? Also, whether nesting in the van once you're done skiing feels too cooped up, or perhaps being outside all day means you're happy to do that? Keep posting!

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
^ Tiny house living in our case is very easy. Every thing that I do at home can done on the road. All we need is a level spot to park our rig every night and we are good. Wife hated the fact that we were happily skiing Killington every day year after year so she went out and bought a 4 season RV. She wants to hit all the cool ski areas before we get too old to live this lifestyle. Important fact to note is that we are everyday skiers and many other retirees out here that we run into don't seem to ski every day.

Where to park each night is an issue that needs a solution. I love to wander and discover cool new places to hang where the wife searches various web sites to find a place to sleep. Some Ikon mountains like Killington, Stratton, Sugarloaf, Sunday River and Winter Park allow camping in designated parking lots.

After skiing hang in our box on wheels, cook dinner, wash dishes, watch tv and surf the web. We go to bed early and I get up early make coffee and my breakfast then we drive to where we are skiing then take a shower and hit the slopes. Quite a few chores go along with maintaining a mobile residence. Getting water and dumping gray tanks is a challenge in the winter months. Our 5 gallon black cassette requires dumping every couple days. Supplies like propane and groceries need restocking. When everything is going smoothly some unique issue with happen to keep us hopping.

Sponsor

Staff online