• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

onstar1

Booting up
Skier
What are the chances of IKON prices decreasing if I wait during the summer or until Christmas?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I can't think of a single case where season pass prices have DECREASED as the season approaches. This isn't the airline industry.

In a hypothetical situation, I could see this happening only if at Thanksgiving it was still in the 70's. But they'd be having to fight off all those who'd already bought.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Decrease...
Magic-8-Ball.jpg

Increase...
DSC04660.JPG

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
ZERO

Curious as to why you would think prices would come down?

IKON, EPIC, PEAK,... prices will only go up this season, next season, the one after that,....

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I'm told ( mammoth marketing rep ) that Icon passes will go up in price 5/1. ( 4/9 for child sale )
Though, she could not say by how much

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is so silly that I have to wonder if the OP is a troll. I've been skiing for 30 years and I've never seen any pass decrease in price as the season gets closer.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
For those few that the obvious logic escapes them, consider what would happen if resorts sometimes lowered prices before a season began.

In the current system, pass prices are lowest in the spring as a carrot to those still skiing at the end of a previous season. In some cases as with Vail, one merely pays a modest down payment against the to be later set full price that will be collected late summer before a first pass price increase. Thus someone changing their mind mid summer has a disincentive to go elsewhere but if they say injure themselves during summer at a level they won't be able to ski, are only dinged a bit. Resorts benefit by getting cash up front before a season in order to more easily budget and finance a following year's expenditures.

Resorts don't always set in stone pass prices until that first price increase late summer because competitive situations could change. The down payment merely guarantees whatever the lowest price becomes. In the case of these new passes like Icon the situation is a bit different. Their marketing is likely counting on people still skiing at end of season being excited about future skiing to be more likely to commit that far ahead of time. Of course if resorts waited till warm September to price and sell such passes, by that point skiers are more likely to not even yet be thinking about winter sports.

Now if a resort lowered a price during the fall versus what they priced earlier, they would certainly have to hassle with refunding that same amount to any that had already bought a pass. And in the future such would give people another reason to not make such an early committed decision months ahead of time and instead just wait to see what happens. Of course by then people would also probably be down at some beach during a heat spell with the notion of dealing with winter skiing far from their interests. Additionally by consistently each year gradually raising prices as a winter approaches, it gives their skiing customers that did not yet buy during spring an incentive to buy into a pass at least by late summer that likewise helps resort budgeting.

Last edited:

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I just purchased my pass online. I asked about price increase through chat window and was told, yes, prices will increase
5/1, and probably will increase $100 , though not set yet.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
For those few that the obvious logic escapes them, consider what would happen if resorts sometimes lowered prices before a season began.

In the current system, pass prices are lowest in the spring as a carrot to those still skiing at the end of a previous season. In some cases as with Vail, one merely pays a modest down payment against the to be later set full price that will be collected late summer before a first pass price increase. Thus someone changing their mind mid summer has a disincentive to go elsewhere but if they say injure themselves during summer at a level they won't be able to ski, are only dinged a bit. Resorts benefit by getting cash up front before a season in order to more easily budget and finance a following year's expenditures.

Resorts don't always set in stone pass prices until that first price increase late summer because competitive situations could change. The down payment merely guarantees whatever the lowest price becomes. In the case of these new passes like Icon the situation is a bit different. Their marketing is likely counting on people still skiing at end of season being excited about future skiing to be more likely to commit that far ahead of time. Of course if resorts waited till warm September to price and sell such passes, by that point skiers are more likely to not even yet be thinking about winter sports.

Now if a resort lowered a price during the fall versus what they priced earlier, they would certainly have to hassle with refunding that same amount to any that had already bought a pass. And in the future such would give people another reason to not make such an early committed decision months ahead of time and instead just wait to see what happens. Of course by then people would also probably be down at some beach during a heat spell with the notion of dealing with winter skiing far from their interests. Additionally by consistently each year gradually raising prices as a winter approaches, it gives their skiing customers that did not yet buy during spring an incentive to buy into a pass at least by late summer that likewise helps resort budgeting.
@SSSdave I think you have a couple of things wrong here. You say "In some cases as with Vail, one merely pays a modest down payment against the to be later set full price that will be collected late summer". While you are correct that Vail only wants $49 down when you buy your pass in April, the price for the pass is set when you buy it. The price is not later set. Who would buy a pass like that?

If you want to upgrade your pass at a later date (before season starts), I've heard they will use price you committed to paying (or have paid for lower level pass) vs. current price for upgraded pass so you can lose the advantage of buying early at the lowest price. I'm not sure how they handle a downgrade.

I'm not sure that you are correct when when you say "someone changing their mind mid summer has a disincentive to go elsewhere but if they say injure themselves during summer at a level they won't be able to ski, are only dinged a bit." My understanding is that if you do not buy pass insurance and get hurt (or change your mind), you have committed to paying for the rest of the pass in September. While you may be able to get out of that commitment by closing the credit card Vail will try to use charge the pass balance, their FAQs say "The $49 down payment, as well as the balance, is non-refundable."

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As with many things, flexibility and an option on a contract comes with a fee.

Overall though, suppose if they raise the price $20 at a time a few times and by last call it's $60 higher; you can fall into the rabbit-hole of overanalysis of that's 10.5448% of an increase; Keep your perspective on the big picture. That's one tank of gas; or just avoiding 3 vail-priced lunches, or buying a round for your buddies.
As long as you don't get locked out of the pass that you intend to use; if this is the only thing you are stressing over, count yourself lucky.

I've upgraded my epicpass before late summer. It is pretty painless to call in. Indeed, they will use the current sale price; and anything you paid already is creditted towards that balance. Any buddypasses or other spring benefits are actually separate $0 line-items that remain on your account.

$49 indeed is a downpayment of a contract it not an Option on the contract. The intention is so college students, ski-bums, or large families with a big seasonpass bill can gather the cash together over the summer instead of letting that balance ride on a credit card. You could cancel your credit card; recognizing first off that's a morally unethical thing to do; and VR doesn't have any recourse against you other than potentially putting you on a blacklist for the future.

Last edited:

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Ouch. I hope this is not them price-testing, and then fixing the price at $999 from the beginning next year.

You were reading my mind. I'm normally a 2-pass person with RMSP+ (early season at low price) being my secondary so I can get WP, Copper, Steamboat, and Eldora. I won't be doing IKON base for a variety of reasons. 1) No down payment program, 2) Steep price increase, 3) Early season 4-packs (or other specials) will be more economical since this is not my primary pass. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the IKON pass, but due to injuries this year and various "unknowns" I cannot commit to it.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ouch. I hope this is not them price-testing, and then fixing the price at $999 from the beginning next year.

Pass prices will continue to go up. $999 is likely the starting point for next year.

Sponsor

Staff online