• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
what really helped me out in the bumps was watching those "bumps for boomers" videos on youtube, and taking a powder skiing lesson at snowmass a few years back. for whatever reason, something just clicked for me in my head. that said, I still struggle with bumps that have steep vertical uphill faces. I really love that feeling when you get into the rhythms of the mogul field...it feels so effortless!

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I was skiing with @Bob Barnes at Copper Mountain one fine Spring day a couple years back.

He leads me into some bump run that hasn't softened up yet in the sun. Bob drops in first, makes two turns and it's immediately audibly apparent that these bumps are completely frozen up crap.

Bob stops and I'm thinking "ok, this is insane... even he's going to hike back out of this", looks back at me and yells "THIS IS GONNA BE SO INCREDIBLY GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!" and skis to the bottom.

:eek:

Oh, you are gonna love this, Kevin!. In early versions of the article, we had @Bob Barnes ' quote from "Crudology" : There is good snow, and then there is snow that is good for you. (sorry for any inaccuracies in paraphrasing). We wound up using Weems', because it fits the contents of the article more directly and tightly, but I find that Bob's maxim, which I heard at the beginning of my third ski season, about a year ago, has had a big influence in how and what I ski. In a good way! I used to b*tch about bad snow. Now I embrace it, and enjoy it (within the limits of my skill level, that is)

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I have always loved Bob's quote from "Crudology."
But the "good for you" snow can be dangerous. Part of learning to ski variable conditions is recognizing your limits and understanding the conditions you are up against.
I remember in the Spring dropping into the Back Bowls on Milt's Face, and it looked beautiful: blue skies, great looking crud conditions....
But it was too early, and the piles of crud were like concrete blocks, and it was FAST!
Very dangerous!

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I have always loved Bob's quote from "Crudology."
But the "good for you" snow can be dangerous. Part of learning to ski variable conditions is recognizing your limits and understanding the conditions you are up against.
I remember in the Spring dropping into the Back Bowls on Milt's Face, and it looked beautiful: blue skies, great looking crud conditions....
But it was too early, and the piles of crud were like concrete blocks, and it was FAST!
Very dangerous!

Yes, exactly, that's what I meant to say by "within my limits". Last year, after a wet snow storm in Tahoe, I stayed in crud too late in the day, I got sloppy, caught the edges in heavy crud, one foot on each direction, next thing you know i am flying over the handles with a pulled calf. That was "beyond" my limits. Just like you said, recognizing your limits is important, and there is no reason not to err on the prudent side.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Oh, I'm very familiar with Bob's "good and good for ya" concept. Robin Barnes once told me "to be the s--t, you need to ski the s--t".

As per @KingGrump 's thoughts about -- spend enough time skiing "good for you" snow and it becomes "good". At one of the old Stowe based EpicSki Academy clinics we skied Liftline when it was absolutely solid. We get to the bottom, we're all looking at Mike Rogan like "ok, that was terrible" and he looks at us and says "That SUCKED! Let's do it again!"

:eek::rolleyes:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Yes, exactly, that's what I meant to say by "within my limits". Last year, after a wet snow storm in Tahoe, I stayed in crud too late in the day, I got sloppy, caught the edges in heavy crud, one foot on each direction, next thing you know i am flying over the handles with a pulled calf. That was "beyond" my limits. Just like you said, recognizing your limits is important, and there is no reason not to err on the prudent side.
Exactly!
It's not about being brave, it's about being smart enough to develop skills and apply them to maximize joy.
And lying on the sofa with an injury is not my idea of happiness.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Very dangerous!

I've told the story of my ignominious ACL-tearing fall too often. Pride literally goeth before the fall.

The one condition I really think nobody needs to mess with is deep upside down snow if you can avoid it.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Only bump lessons I get is advice from friends watching each other and giving feedback. We like to pick nice easy blue section of moguls like the ones here on middle Ovation at Killington mid April. Buddy in green coat has over 20 years of 100+ days. Other friend in tan pants is a PSIA level 2 looking to get his level 3 but only gets in 90 days per season as he doesn't ski in the rain unless he is on the clock.
Bump bashing.JPG

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember walking back and forth in the living room w/ rubber tips on my poles ............. practicing visualizing bump turns............ then at the mtn going solo and just doing run after run after run..............then copying friends different lines and styles................ it just takes time, study and practice, practice , practice................and I STILL SUCK at bumps!!!!!!!!!! :crash:LMAO

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, I'm very familiar with Bob's "good and good for ya" concept. Robin Barnes once told me "to be the s--t, you need to ski the s--t".

As per @KingGrump 's thoughts about -- spend enough time skiing "good for you" snow and it becomes "good". At one of the old Stowe based EpicSki Academy clinics we skied Liftline when it was absolutely solid. We get to the bottom, we're all looking at Mike Rogan like "ok, that was terrible" and he looks at us and says "That SUCKED! Let's do it again!"

:eek::rolleyes:

Stowe is great when it's icy. Once of my favorite runs last year was Chin Clip when the moguls were frozen solid. I had sharpened my edges the night before and cruised down the empty trail. It was even fun skiing the frozen crust in Lookout woods, although I took that at low speed.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Only bump lessons I get is advice from friends watching each other and giving feedback. We like to pick nice easy blue section of moguls like the ones here on middle Ovation at Killington mid April. Buddy in green coat has over 20 years of 100+ days. Other friend in tan pants is a PSIA level 2 looking to get his level 3 but only gets in 90 days per season as he doesn't ski in the rain unless he is on the clock.
View attachment 30333
Kind of looks like corn snow.
That is my FAVORITE bump snow.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Late spring bumps at Killington are pretty wonderful.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
My
favourite is the massive beatles (named after VW Beatles). They are literally the size of small cars! Once you can ski them, you have conquered the bumps.

I find skiing steep runs with Volkswagon size bumps to be more a matter of survival than fun. I can get from top to bottom, but at the bottom, I tend to look back up and wonder why. Maybe 1/10th of 1% of skiers will even try these runs. If these monsters were knocked down, you would have a steep, fast run that far more people would enjoy and would spread skiers out thereby relieving some congestion.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I find skiing steep runs with Volkswagon size bumps to be more a matter of survival than fun. I can get from top to bottom, but at the bottom, I tend to look back up and wonder why. Maybe 1/10th of 1% of skiers will even try these runs. If these monsters were knocked down, you would have a steep, fast run that far more people would enjoy and would spread skiers out thereby relieving some congestion.

And probably lots more work for ski patrol. :nono:

Bumps are your friend. :yahoo: Especially on steep runs. :thumb:

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
And probably lots more work for ski patrol. :nono:

Bumps are your friend. :yahoo: Especially on steep runs. :thumb:

Don't get the ski patrol reference. Seems it would be the exact opposite.

If the bumps that I am referring to are "friends", it's kind of weird that nobody skis them.

P.S. I enjoy a good bump run as much as the next guy - just not the VW size.

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are some Volkswagon size bumps on Starr at Stowe Mtn last spring. They looked bigger in real life. They were nice and soft corn, so it was pretty fun skiing them and quite the workout. That is my son below me doing well in them.

Stowe1_4-15-17.jpg

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After years of skiing like shit, I can finally ski the shit. I like moguls. No special lessons needed just learning how to ski.

Sponsor

Staff online