• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How stiff is too stiff?

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
It seems that most skis have a large sweet spot and perform well in a variety of speeds. At what point do skis become too stiff? And if you aren't carving and smearing a lot of turns either as a result, or by choice skiing that way, does it matter?

Thion

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have experienced skies being to hard when you have to stop or slow down at a slope with non intentional moguls in the afternoon.

Are you looking for a ski which suites your style of not carving? Old straight skies are easy to whipp around:P

For pist Ski, one could argue that the ideal Ski is soft in the front/tip and stiff under the foot.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It seems that most skis have a large sweet spot and perform well in a variety of speeds. At what point do skis become too stiff?

When you're locked into one turn shape at any given speed.

And if you aren't carving and smearing a lot of turns either as a result, or by choice skiing that way, does it matter?

Not sure how to parse this sentence, but yes it matters - a ski can easily be too stiff to grip well. Chattering is one possible outcome.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
To me, a ski which is too stiff means much less forgiveness, feeling awkward to pilot at low speed, and poor performance in soft condition. It only works well on hardpack and high speed.

It seems that most skis have a large sweet spot and perform well in a variety of speeds. At what point do skis become too stiff? And if you aren't carving and smearing a lot of turns either as a result, or by choice skiing that way, does it matter?

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
As a big guy (220+), I have yet to encounter a ski that is too stiff. Too soft, yes. For an everyday driver if it doesn't have metal, I'm not interested (I'm looking at you Rossi e88). The difference, IME, is the amount of rocker and/or shape. For example, the Rossi e100 rails on groomers and I have yet to find a top speed on it, but I'd rather have a Bonafide or Enforcer as an everyday driver as I find those skis more versatile. Which is primarily due to the profile and/or shape of those skis.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a big guy (220+), I have yet to encounter a ski that is too stiff. Too soft, yes. For an everyday driver if it doesn't have metal, I'm not interested (I'm looking at you Rossi e88). The difference, IME, is the amount of rocker and/or shape. For example, the Rossi e100 rails on groomers and I have yet to find a top speed on it, but I'd rather have a Bonafide or Enforcer as an everyday driver as I find those skis more versatile. Which is primarily due to the profile and/or shape of those skis.

At 225 lb, I agree stiffness is relative to the skier and his style. For me, I can feel the stiffness of my skis when I'm noodling around or skiing slowly on a crowded slope, but that largely disappears at even modest speeds.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have experienced skies being to hard when you have to stop or slow down at a slope with non intentional moguls in the afternoon.

Are you looking for a ski which suites your style of not carving? Old straight skies are easy to whipp around:P

For pist Ski, one could argue that the ideal Ski is soft in the front/tip and stiff under the foot.
If the skies are that stiff how bad is the pollution?:huh: Did they look something like this
Linfen-China.jpg

:roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online