• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm confused about what you are asking. Do you mean something like this?

View attachment 213074
I think he's saying don't make individual points/blocks to hang skis on... find a way to just have a long lip/edge/bar where the skis can be hung at any point. Then you don't have to have anything that slides - you could literally put the skis anywhere along the hanger.

As Doug said though, without a discrete point with something for the toe piece to grab, the skis may not actually be hang-able.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't see that being possible with wood. You might be able to do that with metal, which was posted before. Thanks for the clarrification.

1697225280739.png

About as continous you could get. Maybe if I had a CNC machine.

1697225482854.png

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So, one could use 3/8" round steel or aluminum and hook skis on it, but you would be limited to certain bindings. Attacks and Wardens would work since there is room for it to grab. Narrower bindings don't have the space to hang on a rod.
@Nobody, I'm open to suggestions. You do propose an interesting question. I have found that the 2" wide by 3/4" block of wood works very well to simulate a boot toe piece. I haven't found a ski toe piece that doesn't work. But I only have about 6 different bindings.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I use mainly Markers nowadas, Xcells, Baron and what is today the Comp toepiece (which was mainline before the xCell arrived). In the family some Jesters and Salomons and whatever the season's rentals for my son mount.
So I guess that I will have to follow the main directions here and look for a simulated boot toe piece for each ski/pair of skis, fixed or sliding...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So I guess that I will have to follow the main directions here and look for a simulated boot toe piece for each ski/pair of skis, fixed or sliding...

A piece of good quality 18 mm plywood will work. The standard ski boot toe is 19 mm from sole to top of lug. You can measure the ski boot toe for acceptable width.

mattfredricks

Booting up
Skier
Any concerns with storing skis in 110+ degrees in the summer? My garage gets really hot so I've been storing them inside the house but would love to do this project.
Definitely not ideal, especially if your garage experiences temperature swings, but wont be the end of the world, As long as you keep them dry and put some wax on them before storing.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
https://www.buttonskirack.com/ makes the easiest hangers using their molded plastic buttons. Their Etsy pages show all plywood ones too. I prefer square holders.

Genius, IMO, and I’m glad to pay for an idea this good (big fan of intellectual property).

Doubly-genius in my admittedly odd situation:

Wall of Skis 1 of 2.JPG

You could make a sliding dovetail system like @Dwight, and screw one of these onto each wooden “slider block”?

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Latest prototype garage design. 3 in 17" and you can make any size on the wall. 3 lone models going to SLC in a week, so I'll see how well it works.

The other 2 mounts just use 3/4 birch plywood doubled up, ripped at 2" wide. The trick was to make the cleat wider than the holder, so it doesn't tip or pop out easily. I'm sure the real ones will be made of paint-grade maple. Stronger than pine and I have it. Plus at the time I purchased it, it was also cheaper than 2x4 studs.

20231101_193733.jpg
20231101_193709.jpg
20231101_194410.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online