• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DoogieDoc

Booting up
Skier
The three I'm considering are the Tyrolia Attack 13, the Marker Griffon 13, and the Atomic STH2 13. (I'm not considering Looks, even though I have had many a pair. Over the years, I've become less of a fan of the rotating heel plate because I think it set me up for a couple of knee injuries due to the cross bar maybe preventing sideways heel releases.)

About me and the ski they are going on:
I'm 5'10", 150 pounds, 59 years old, and have been around the track a few times...this is my 50th year skiing. I ski exclusively out west, mostly at Mammoth Mountain. I average about 50 days a season, and would modestly self-describe as expert. I set my bindings using 3+, and so depending on the setup I prefer my DIN anywhere between 6.5-9.5. I'm in Tecnica 120 boots with Surefoot injected liners.

I currently have whittled my skis down to a quiver of 4...
My rock skis are a pair of 2010 170cm Stockli Stormrider XXLs. They have Marker Griffons on them with 8mm race lifters. (I'm sorry I wrecked them because they were the greatest frontside non-park skis I have ever ridden.)
For hardpack and slush bumps I'm on a pair of 173cm 2-year old Brahmas with Marker Demo bindings.
For DDs it's a pair of last year's 173cm Stockli Stormrider 95s with a pair of the STH2s.
For powder I have a pair of 2008 176cm Volkl Gotamas with Marker Duke bindings. (I put those bindings on so that these could be both my deep pow skis as well as back-country touring skis.)

I love them all, for different reasons. For mid-winter conditions, the Stormrider 95s can't be beat, but they start running out of gas after 10-12" of powder, at which point I will switch to the 105mm Goats. But once the snow piled up past 18-24", I really wanted something more than what the Goats could do.

During last winter's epic conditions at Mammoth, I was very fortunate, because I got to try a LOT of deep pow skis in the conditions they were designed for. But after riding a bunch of different 108+mm skis, the winner hands down for me was the Line Pescado. It's exactly what I was looking for to fill out the deep end of the quiver. The Gotama with the Dukes will plow through anything from mank to crud to thick peanut-butter pow, etc. But I was looking for something more playful, since I prefer a ski with lots of recoil or "pop" or whatever you want to call it. The Pescados are all of that...lightweight, poppy, surfy, slarvy, shmeary, and with a turn radius of only 19M, but a waist of 125mm, for a powder ski they are really responsive. They won't be brought out very often, but for those special deep days these things absolutely slay it. (Thank you Santa, I must have been a good boy this year!)

SO...the Griffons and the Tyrolias are the lightest weight of the bunch, and because the Pescados are so light as well (1950 grams according to Line, and only 1800+ grams according to BlisterGear reviews), I'm trying to minimize the weight of the binding as much as I can to take advantage of that light ski weight. The STHs weigh about 200 gms more than these two, so they are the most portly of the three.

On the other hand, having had the Griffons out in some deep snow, I can say that they can be a little challenging to put back on in deep snow. It takes some work to clear snow off of them, and then you still have to sort of lift your toe while pushing forward into the toe, and then step into the heel at the same time. There's no doubt the STHs are much easier to put on in the deep stuff...they seem to shed snow a lot better. I do not know about the Tyrolias but have heard they also shed snow pretty well.

The -1 for the Tyrolias is that the largest standard brake size they provide is only 110 mm, and since the Pescados are 125 mm, I'd have to pay extra to get the special larger 130cm brake. Also, if I understand correctly, the larger brake on the Tyrolia has to be separately drilled into the ski. Having had several skis delaminate over the years due to issues with drill holes, I really try to keep the number of drills to a minimum.

Bottom line: Griffons and Tyrolia are the lightest. STHs (and AFAIK the Tyrolias) shed pow better. The Tyrolias require an additional purchase and maybe more drills. So, unfortunately, all have some pros and cons.

Given all of that, thanks in advance for whatever input you all can provide! I think any of these would be fine, but I'd certainly appreciate advice.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the Griffon 13 on a pair of skis. I ski a lot of powder and I can confidently say they are a terrible binding for pow skiing. In soft snow it can be really, really difficult to your ski back on. I hate them! It sounds like you have experienced this as well.
My two pair of newer skis have Tyrolia Attack 13's and they engage so easily! Really trouble free in the deep stuff and reminiscent of when I used to ski Salomons exclusively.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
SO...the Griffons and the Tyrolias are the lightest weight of the bunch, and because the Pescados are so light as well (1950 grams according to Line, and only 1800+ grams according to BlisterGear reviews), I'm trying to minimize the weight of the binding as much as I can to take advantage of that light ski weight. The STHs weigh about 200 gms more than these two, so they are the most portly of the three.

On the other hand, having had the Griffons out in some deep snow, I can say that they can be a little challenging to put back on in deep snow. It takes some work to clear snow off of them, and then you still have to sort of lift your toe while pushing forward into the toe, and then step into the heel at the same time. There's no doubt the STHs are much easier to put on in the deep stuff...they seem to shed snow a lot better. I do not know about the Tyrolias but have heard they also shed snow pretty well.

The -1 for the Tyrolias is that the largest standard brake size they provide is only 110 mm, and since the Pescados are 125 mm, I'd have to pay extra to get the special larger 130cm brake. Also, if I understand correctly, the larger brake on the Tyrolia has to be separately drilled into the ski. Having had several skis delaminate over the years due to issues with drill holes, I really try to keep the number of drills to a minimum.

Bottom line: Griffons and Tyrolia are the lightest. STHs (and AFAIK the Tyrolias) shed pow better. The Tyrolias require an additional purchase and maybe more drills. So, unfortunately, all have some pros and cons.

Given all of that, thanks in advance for whatever input you all can provide! I think any of these would be fine, but I'd certainly appreciate advice.

Any shop worth their salt will swap out the correct size brake for you in a binding purchase. No, the Tyrolia does not require extra mounting holes. Any of these three bindings will be fine choices. 200 Grams, 10%, is insignificant for the application you are asking for.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Attack 13 has brake widths at 130mm and even 150mm but they are just "less common" sizes and aren't really special order, they are just less commonly stocked sizes than their smaller sizes by most shops. 4Frnt has the same price on their website for all brake sizes on the Attack 13 so I'm sure it's the same everywhere. All their brakes are screwed down with 2 screws that go through the brake casting first and then through the metal track of the rear binding piece. Some bindings mount the rear piece with the 4 screws through the main binding itself and then the brake housing is separately screwed into the mounted rear binding. I'm thinking that's what the person is thinking but there's a bit of misinformation there. All non touring bindings have 4 screws into the ski itself. You should never have issues with brakes catching and causing delimitation if the correct width is chosen. Think I'd be getting a different person to mount any bindings if you had "multiple pairs of ski delaminate" when you're a 150 pound, 59 year old when lots of heavier pros landing 100 ft drops aren't having those issues with any bindings.

As far as the weight goes, there is indeed a slight difference between these bindings but there are larger "felt" differences between any of these to 18 Din Metal bindings or bindings like the Dukes where there are 800 gram differences between pairs of them. Have heard the Attacks are easy to enter in powder though but I ski the East so can't comment on that. lol
Currently have 6 pairs of skis with Attack 13s as they are light, durable and reasonable in price but have had no issues with Salomon bindings either. Never really been a Marker fan myself so it would be my third choice of these group.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I have the Griffon 13 on a pair of skis. I ski a lot of powder and I can confidently say they are a terrible binding for pow skiing. In soft snow it can be really, really difficult to your ski back on. I hate them! It sounds like you have experienced this as well.
My two pair of newer skis have Tyrolia Attack 13's and they engage so easily! Really trouble free in the deep stuff and reminiscent of when I used to ski Salomons exclusively.
+1 on that:(
The Griffons are THE worst:doh:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know nothing about bindings, but I do know that hard to put on in snow is a non starter.

TS
DoogieDoc

DoogieDoc

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all for your input. I’ve decided to go with the Tyrolia, and thanks to Phil’s comment I “convinced” them to throw in the 130 brake without the upcharge. Now it just needs to dump!!

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all for your input. I’ve decided to go with the Tyrolia, and thanks to Phil’s comment I “convinced” them to throw in the 130 brake without the upcharge. Now it just needs to dump!!

Good decision. Either the Attack or Sth2 would be my choice for a powder ski (or any all mountain ski for that matter) . . . says the guy who stupidly put Jesters on a pair of Bent Chetlers because they were a screamin' deal and looked cool together. :eek:

Sponsor

Staff online