• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello

Woody4x

Booting up
Skier
Hello everyone

Been lurking for a few weeks now, great community here, feels very mature compared to other forums

UK based and ski in Europe as much as possible after defecting from snowboardingogsmile

Really enjoying the journey to becoming a good skier one day

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Glad you found us.

TS
W

Woody4x

Booting up
Skier
First ski experience was grouse mountain north vancouver 1991, I had left England to make my fortune planting trees in the bc Interior but it was still too early for planting so one one afternoon two of us decided to bus and hitch hitch up to the local mountain, clad only in jeans the ski rental guys took pity and lent us jackets and trousers, we skied under the flood lights, zero skill but full of enthusiasm we had a blast

Fast forward to the summer of 1992 and I was determined to ski a whole season, I picked Switzerland as the quintessential ski destination and proceeded to hitch hike around what felt like every hotel in every resort until I got the magic yes, a great life lesson that was to pay dividends in later years - it pays to be persistent and every no gets you closer to a yes

The first 6 weeks were spent on ex rental Olin 195 racing skis and hire boots purchased for the princely sum of 50chf before getting in to the snowboarding for the rest of the season

Over the next 20 years I snowboarded occaisionally with a couple of summer trips in the mid nineties to hitch down to tignes in France for the glacier skiing, back then the glacier was large, well covered and we would ride fresh powder in July

Fast forward to 2012ish, I was visiting friends in Vegas and took a trip to Utah for the legendary powder, too early in the season for the powder I tired of riding the groomed piste on a board so decided to hire some “carving” skis and had a blast, after a 2 hour lesson with an ESF instructor in les deux alpes I was hooked, really enjoying the technical challenge

10 days on the mountain since 2012 plus 6 days in both uk and Dutch indoor snow domes

Next trip will be Christmas

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I heard those folks in the yoookay speak funny and think the only worthwhile sport played on Thanksgiving involves shining the cherry, square legs and swingers.

TS
W

Woody4x

Booting up
Skier
We do speak funny compared to you guys, I give English lessons when I visit friends in AK:D

Bob, “swingers” means something a lot different these days in the UK:roflmao:

Thanks for the warm welcome

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online