• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi all - I'd like to take advantage of the end of season discounts (and support the industry).
Me: 6'1"/180, lower to mid-upper intermediate.
(Level 6/7?). I live in NJ and ski i the Poconos, Catskills, spend two weeks in Steamboat every year and hope to get to S. Vermont next season. I spend almost all my time on groomers, but starting to venture off trail and try small, soft bumps in CO.

I prefer a shorter, smaller radius ski with excellent edge hold and a lively feel with a little pop from the tails. I'd like a ski that will perform on east coast hardpack and handle up to about six inches of fresh. Currently on 178 Navigator 85s that do ok in both hard and soft snow and boot-top powder, but think I'd prefer a ski with a bit better edge hold and better at pushing through lumped up snow. At Steamboat I demo'ed a Titan and a Salomon S Force Bold, both in a 170. I liked the Titans, but didn't wow. The Salomons felt burly and solid, but but still agile.
From the PugSki reviews, some of the Fischers (Curv GT, Pro Mtn 82/86 or RC One GT) sound interesting. Laser AXs would seem to fit the bill, but they're too pricey for me at this time.
Thanks in advance.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since it sounds like you are value minded and looking for sales, not that there is anything wrong with that.. Monster 83, Liberty V82 and the Brahma 82 are skis that come to mind.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For a low 80's I took a leap of faith on the Fischer RC One 82 GT 173. I liked everything I read about its big brother the 86 GT , so hoping that translates down to the 82 with the 82 being a bit more groomer savvy. I had also considered the Brahma 82, Wingman 82 CTI, Deacon 84.

PSA: What also sent me over the edge on the Fischer was a smokin' deal for new skis at SideLineSwap from a dealer in Idaho. And I like the colour green. I had them shipped to my pal in CT, whom I plan to eventually visit. Additional costs at SideLineSwap were $35 shipping ad $22 tax, so $356 $US all-in to CT. Other sizes available too:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski the Pro Mountain 86 that you mentioned in the Mid-Atlantic and pretty much everywhere I travel. I have other skis but if I’m buying 1 pair of skis this is a very good choice imo. It is easily be the most versatile ski I’ve owned.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
I'm currently looking at the Head line for next year. The i/e Magnum or i/e Speed might be what you described. [i is the current year's models. e is next year's model designation]

Sponsor

Staff online