• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Getting hard to find tires in 'Classic' sizing...

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
So over the last 5+ years I'm really noticing that good hi-performance summer tires in the sizes I run on my 80's cars are all but disappearing. In my case, both are 14" wheels. I have absolutely no desire to go bigger on either car (before you ask) as I love the factory wheels on them both. My e30 '87 BMW is running 205/60-14 yokahama's currently but maybe only another 5k in them. Can't find ANYTHING out there in this size suitable now. And even with all the NA Miata's still out there running about, their 185/60-14 tires are just barely still available. I don't get it, you can buy sizes for antique cars going back many decades, but not very popular stuff as recently as the 80's. :doh: :huh: :nono:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think there will be a lull for a while. But yeah, when I was looking for even 195/50/15's there were less than 4 choices. I know my 16" options for the NB are also going to be mininal. I image 155/80/13's have to be non existant.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You may want to look at Kelly Tires that is what I found for my 1999 Sebring Convertible. They are 15" 205 60's I think, I would have to check.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
lucky for google search!

however on serious note, one may have to change width and profile to get needed fit. doesn't always change accuracy of speedometer much so there may be alt options.

then too, even different profile may not vary much in actual tread width, etc ... but suspect you know this given other posts.

so, yes - i've noted a shift upwards in wheel sizes that kill off the smaller tire offerings. Lucky for me however that the 18 inch rim once a premium but packaged with my car now has tires that dropped 30% in pricing due to competition. least I can be grateful for that!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You could change profile or width of your tire if the "Aspect Ratio" of the new size is the same as the OEM tire. I have done that in the past when a car that we owned with an odd size tire, that always were the most expensive and never went on sale. The dealer was a little hesitant at first but once we talked about the "Aspect Ratio" and the counter person talked to an older manager they agreed that it was not an issue. You may want to check if a change in profile or width would make it easier to find a tire.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
You could change profile or width of your tire if the "Aspect Ratio" of the new size is the same as the OEM tire. I have done that in the past when a car that we owned with an odd size tire, that always were the most expensive and never went on sale. The dealer was a little hesitant at first but once we talked about the "Aspect Ratio" and the counter person talked to an older manager they agreed that it was not an issue. You may want to check if a change in profile or width would make it easier to find a tire.

The 205/60-14 is already a 'equivalent' of the OEM spec 195/65-14 that I never liked!

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
All tires have production dates on them. You might want to ask what they are on these tires.

Well the one's on the car just turned TEN years old... These are actually a newer model, have never gotten even year old tires from Tire Rack. That's the beauty of high volume sales!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Sounds promising. I'd jump on the Vredestein's. Might even buy an extra one, or two!

I asked my car guy about this issue, this AM. His comment was "a very real problem!"

Has a customer who has a nice stable of cars. His 914-6, which is evidently pristine, needs tires. 205/60r/14. That is the only size that looks right, fits right, and is original, I guess.

They have been looking for 6 months.....worldwide.

My friend says that he just can't believe it. He said that he works on at least 30 E30's. All in nice shape, with owners intending to keep them for a LONG time.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What's wrong with this option??

maxresdefault.jpg

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
All tires have production dates on them. You might want to ask what they are on these tires.

@Philpug , as I expected, the tires arrived today and were made in June of 2017. That's pretty damn fresh!
And @Muleski , your point about 'extras' brings up a great point. This car being from the era of full sized spare tires, I did actually buy
five. I realize this isn't an issue for many but I don't want a full size spare, which can be driven normally much past a dozen years old.
So depending on how fast you rack up the mile, that would mean a new spare every second or third set of tires. I've seen cars at shows with the original spare still in the boot. Now if the car is even 30 years old, would you want to drive on it?

Sponsor

Staff online