• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eggplant…

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Goes great with steak…

0D2176DA-C418-404E-B4DB-3BDAD906AFC6.jpeg

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Have not had an eggplant parm since I moved to the MinnieApple. Sadly, I don't think that people here know what eggplant parm even is.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I love the flavor of eggplant but it, sadly, causes noticeable joint pain. I can handle other nightshades(peppers, tomatoes) pretty well but for some reason eggplant kicks my ass. :(
Had eggplant parm once and promptly puked it up large.. was a surprise because I hadn't noticed food issues before.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never really managed to overcome my childhood experiences with eggplant. My mother used to cut it into cubes, boil it into a mush, and then serve it with dinner as one of the "vegetables".

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can never decide which I like better, breaded and fried in olive oil or eggplant parmesan. Depends on my mood and or what else I may be having with it, that is eggplant parmesan can easily be a meal in itself.

@tch, that's downright vegetable abuse! I'm guessing your mother has zero Italian blood in her, @Philpug and @Tony S could back me on that one, will say my Italian grandmother knew how to prepare eggplant dishes, yum!

They say eggplant is good for lowering cholesterol, bonus!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They say eggplant is good for lowering cholesterol, bonus!

Not if you bread and fried it for eggplant Parm. I love eggplant Parm, but anything fried is usually good.

As a great side at a BBQ, grilled with Olive oil, salt & pepper.

At home, we usually sauté it in a skillet w/ plenty of garlic & ginger. Finish up with soy, oyster sauce, scallion & cilantro. Sometimes we'll throw in some ground pork for a more hardy dish. We also like it steamed with a ginger, garlic and black bean sauce.
At dim sum restaurants, they get stuffed with a fish paste mixture. Deep fried (no coating.) topped off with a chicken/pork stock based sauce.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a great side at a BBQ, grilled with Olive oil, salt & peppe
That’s exactly how I cooked it. I like it because it is low carb.

I like moussaka as well, I have not made it in a long time. First time I had eggplant was in moussaka, in my international ski bum days making my way around the world, I was in Greece, ordered it in a buffet I thought it was lasagna. It confused my taste buds but I liked it. :ogbiggrin:

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This was my second time to cook them like this, pics below few weeks ago I cooked them…This is salt and pepper, but the salt is seasoned salt ("Tony's"), I pre-mix it in the shaker with the blue top, 50/50 I go, maybe a little heavier on the pepper. This is my go-to seasoning for fish, chicken and veggies...

C397009C-F0B5-40A9-A3B2-7FC35A5842BB.jpeg
AA22FAF3-43CD-448D-B68C-321EED2DDD7A.jpeg
38938C1F-4DB1-4CDB-87FA-40F084591FD4.jpeg

But I been having a lot of fun cooking on this grill set up, since my son master-chef-wanna-be has taken over my kitchen, I have been relegated to the back yard…

0279C2F5-ACBD-48DD-9921-AC7FCB15AB50.jpeg

bonus pics…

46F6559A-5229-4D1D-BA86-A22F76F462B1.jpeg
163990C4-5F70-4628-92B4-3BFEDCF7B93D.jpeg
72364FF3-E35D-4A27-817C-D6446C014A51.jpeg

9C6DC80D-9516-4457-8087-92D83EE58DE3.jpeg

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not if you bread and fried it for eggplant Parm. I love eggplant Parm, but anything fried is usually good.

At home, we usually sauté it in a skillet w/ plenty of garlic & ginger. Finish up with soy, oyster sauce, scallion & cilantro. Sometimes we'll throw in some ground pork for a more hardy dish. We also like it steamed with a ginger, garlic and black bean sauce.
At dim sum restaurants, they get stuffed with a fish paste mixture. Deep fried (no coating.) topped off with a chicken/pork stock based sauce.
^ always looking for new ways to use garlic and ginger, I never mix the two but I'll have to try that. Just easy on the soy sauce for me, hope that doesn't mess it up.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Re: breaded eggplant, when I prepare it I usually dip the eggplant slices in egg and then substitute bread crumbs for a dusting of flour, then either fry in olive oil or bake in the oven with convection fan on (air fry). Not as heavy that way.

Reactions: Tex

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I love the flavor of eggplant but it, sadly, causes noticeable joint pain. I can handle other nightshades(peppers, tomatoes) pretty well but for some reason eggplant kicks my ass. :(
I thought they disproved that theory about nightshade vegetables and joint pain/arthritis. I stopped eating tomato's for awhile because of it, then I read somewhere that it was disproven. Since I went back to eating them I can't feel a difference.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

You don't have to fry it you can use a cookie sheet in the oven with breadcrumbs only on one side. Less oil and breading for lower cholesterol and cooking time because on the cookie sheet you can fit more than in a frying pan. I have also seen it done under a broiler that way.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
An old Italian cookbook that I inherited from my mother (who lived there) has a wonderful super simple but yummy recipe for Melanzana al Forno or baked/roasted eggplant.

Take a small to medium eggplant and cut it in half lengthwise. Score deep slits in a cross hatch on the open sides (but don't go through the skin). Squeeze slivers of garlic into the slits to taste. Salt. Slather on left over tomato sauce (not so much it drips over) put a LOT of oregano on top, like a tablespoon of dried. Drizzle with good olive oil. Bake or roast at 375 or 400 degrees for about 25 to 40 minutes (depending on size of eggplant and heat of oven) until the meat is soft enough to easily eat with a spoon. Mangia!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
An old Italian cookbook that I inherited from my mother (who lived there) has a wonderful super simple but yummy recipe for Melanzana al Forno or baked/roasted eggplant.

Take a small to medium eggplant and cut it in half lengthwise. Score deep slits in a cross hatch on the open sides (but don't go through the skin). Squeeze slivers of garlic into the slits to taste. Salt. Slather on left over tomato sauce (not so much it drips over) put a LOT of oregano on top, like a tablespoon of dried. Drizzle with good olive oil. Bake or roast at 375 or 400 degrees for about 25 to 40 minutes (depending on size of eggplant and heat of oven) until the meat is soft enough to easily eat with a spoon. Mangia!
On my way.

On reflection, if you do exactly the same thing to a butterflied leg of lamb on the grill ... yummy.

Sponsor

Staff online