• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drones over snow on the QT

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
So I'm considering getting a DJI Mavic. I know most every ski area everywhere bans them but... anyone have any tips for using drones in snow and following skiing, especially selfies?

Also, besides batteries and spare props, what other accessories do you recommend?

And finally, for $1000, is there anything else competitive that I should be looking at?

Thanks

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I remember seeing one on the web a few years ago that you tossed into the air and it would follow you robotically by wristband or some other homing device. You could do it backcountry, if you can find an open enough area, but I would just try to find a good videographer.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
So unless you plan on touring or breaking someone rules they are basically banned everywhere their are lifts.

Currently there is one drone capable of "follow me" and many that can do selfies. The mavic would be entirely capable of following a skier assuming the pilot has enough skill to do so. The spark would probably be a better choice for selfies.

This is the only working follow me drone i am aware of, its pretty good, but a good pilot can still do better especially in tight confines.
https://www.airdog.com/

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I've been thinking of getting one and haven't yet. As Josh said, you pretty much can't run one anywhere that there are lifts. With the limitations that the drone would have I wonder how much I could really use it. DJI Mavic does seem like probably the best choice, but the DJI Spark is half the money and nearly as capable, plus it's smaller which would just make it more practical. The GPro Karma is tempting too. I know that the Mavic is "better", but the way I figure it, the Karma will do most of what the Mavic does, and if turns out to not be that usable, you can detach the gimbal and the GoPro and use them on their own. With the Spark or the Mavic, it's just sitting in your closet. At this point, I am leaning toward buying a Karma from Backcountry.com, with their no questions returns policy, if it turns out too impractical I can just get my money back.

Sponsor

Staff online