• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Does anyone ski with aggression and fury?

COSkier87

Getting on the lift
Skier
Last season was my first and I remember being so consumed with worrying about every little technique and detail.

"Am I putting enough pressure on my downhill ski?"
"Am I at the front of my boots?"
"How long should I stay pointed down the fall line?"

It wasn't until I just yelled at myself one day and said "Just shut your mind up and SKI" that it all just clicked and the synergy became amazing.

At the beginning of this season (my 2nd), I felt more relaxed with skiing and lazy. My turns were more skidded, I was less on edge, something just wasn't clicking. Then it hit me, I was missing that aggressive mindset that helped drive my skis. Once I snapped back into it, it was much more enjoyable again.

Does anyone else experience this?

P.S. No, this doesn't mean I tailgate and run over ski schoolers.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean, I feel like I'm being aggressive, lots of dynamic movement. I suspect the video evidence is less convincing. Kinda like when I see video of myself playing hockey. I may FEEL like Connor McDavid... But I sure don't look like him!!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean..

Then...
1705864402534.png

:ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last season was my first and I remember being so consumed with worrying about every little technique and detail.

"Am I putting enough pressure on my downhill ski?"
"Am I at the front of my boots?"
"How long should I stay pointed down the fall line?"

It wasn't until I just yelled at myself one day and said "Just shut your mind up and SKI" that it all just clicked and the synergy became amazing.

At the beginning of this season (my 2nd), I felt more relaxed with skiing and lazy. My turns were more skidded, I was less on edge, something just wasn't clicking. Then it hit me, I was missing that aggressive mindset that helped drive my skis. Once I snapped back into it, it was much more enjoyable again.

Does anyone else experience this?

P.S. No, this doesn't mean I tailgate and run over ski schoolers.

There is nothing better for me than aggressively pushing a pair of GS ski down a black slope as fast as I can using kids from the schools as gates.
Pure bliss man…

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is nothing better for me than aggressively pushing a pair of GS ski down a black slope as fast as I can using kids from the schools as gates.
Pure bliss man…

Be aware the new Euro mountain safety team is coming to a ski slope near you. I understand they are pretty effective.

Good luck.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't find myself thinking about much of anything but where I want to go and how fast I want to get there when hard charging.. But I definitely used to when I was learning and training.

See signature below..

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski with rainbows and unicorns. Very relaxing.
uh huh. A little safety for you?

No actually I prefer to be loose when skiing. No different then say running. I usually try to stretch when possible before going out. I coach myself say to push forward if things don't feel right, however, don't let things bother me too much and if they do start to bother me I knock off right away and come back to ski another day. So aggression and fury are not in my arsenal.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You must flow, like water down a stream, centered at all times, in mind and body, even when full power is called for.

Only then will you be ready to proudly proclaim "i SKI BLACK RUNS".

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The words make me think we are talking about two different things.
I often just ski, although not as often lately; it's hard not to think of increasing that edge angle, pulling back harder, make a sudden release, being ready for the subsequent hard rebound, slicing that edge in, etc.
The other thing. Skiing with aggression, seems to be most helpful to me when the terrain demands are critical. However, the aggression and furry was always very much directed in those situations, which I haven't put my self in in years( I guess I'm getting too old for that s....). Back then it was more like nail that edge in, hammer that turn, do what needs doing with all your might (if you don't you die). Coincidently in those days I spent more time skiing mindlessly and the directed aggression only came when needed.

Sponsor

Staff online