• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dodge Challenger Hellcat crash in Colorado

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't normally pick up on news stories like this, but this one struck me on a few levels.
Two Killed during Dodge Challenger Hellcat test drive

Two men, driver 71 years old, passenger 76 years old, died in a crash. They had permission to use the airport to speed test a muscle car.
News reports say that they reached the speeds of more than 100 mph before going off the end of the runway, going airborne and flipping several times.

“They were just test driving this car,” Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze told the paper. “They went a little too fast. I don’t want to surmise. … They probably got to the end of the runway and, at that speed, didn’t realize they were there so fast. And they lost control. It was just too high a speed and they got to the end of the runway.”

Lynd Fitzgerald, 71, of Colorado Springs, and Roger Lichtenberger, 76, of San Marcos, Calif., were pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

Something about this story made me think of the closing line of Second Hand Lions:
Sheik's Great Grandson: So, these two men from your grandfather's stories, they really lived?

Adult Walter: [wistfully] Yeah, they really lived...

These two septuagenarians really lived, right up until they didn't

Still sad to see news of their passing.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's unfortunate. Runways aren't really meant to be viewed from 6" off the ground. I'm guessing they literally ran out of runway before they knew what happened.

Sponsor

Staff online