• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Like KevinF I started having palpitations when I read the first post. In NH even on the sunny days we do have, the afternoons are tough with regards to flat light. Though I don't use the fan part of the turbo fan (POS), the goggles themselves work great even over my glasses.

Coaching early season has always been tough for me because of sensory deprivation; can't see well because of overcast/flat light and snow guns blowing and can't hear well because of the snow guns as well. I'm sure neither have anything to do with me being almost 58 (that just felt like Step 5 :eek:). Added to this is the 20 athletes that are U10s doing what kids that age like to do (drive me bananas), and by lunch time, I could use 30 minutes on a zafu or a very strong drink. I don't have 30 minutes and drinking while coaching is strongly discouraged :nono:

Anything I can do to minimize one of the deprivations, helps tremendously.

Thanks mike_m for the post and all those that provided supporting/non supporting views.

Ken

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Yellow in low light always rules IMO

A yellow lens of any sort will not darken the view on a low-light day.
But more important for flat-light situations, yellow increases the dark-light contrast.
Yellow makes the perturbations in the snow surface show up better.
Costco has $30 Bolle goggles with two lenses, and one is yellow.
Good enough for me.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
i just got the chroma pop storm "rose flash". is it different than the previous storm lens?

Just looked on Smith's web site, and it appears to be the same lens, Graham -- VLT remains 50% and the blue-pink tints look identical to my Storm lens from last year. The rebranding seems to be due to the fact that Smith now offers three lenses in their Chromapop Storm range -- a photochromic pink lens with VLT of 30%-50%, the Storm Rose Flash you just purchased, and the Storm Yellow Flash reviewed by the OP.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I'm just coming off a blue sensor Smith lens in a dedicated frame that started to smell like well, wet moose. Not good.

I sprang for the new magnetic interchangeable system goggles, but haven't skied them much yet. One of the lenses is the yellow boost at 65% which seems close to the Blue sensor. So far I haven't seen much difference to me between rose, yellow or other tints.

Question for the group - Who has tried clear in very low light/fog/driving snow/gun skiing? Wouldn't the 90% VLT be the driving factor over some shade of tint? Thanks.

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting. I'll have to do a head to head test of the new Smith chomapop yellow lens vs my Oakley prizms this year. Last year I was quite content to ski only with my jade prizim's in flat light/stormy/snowy days as well as bluebird sunny days. My wife skied exclusively with the rose prizim's and loved them for all light conditions.
They seem to be ok for the West. In the east I find them too dark for low light days. Which basically occurs almost any day. I do like it, but the other thing I've found is they can give a glow to the snow sometimes I find distracting. I think it mainly happens in above tree line conditions. So the one day I was in Chamonix I swapped it out for the very reliable low light Hi Orange lense. No weirdness. I just didn't want to be on the glacier and get glowing effects. You're stuck inside that view.

Oakley added Hi Pink Prizm due to low light complaints on the Prizm Rose. Too dark for real low light. Haven't tried it yet, not sure they make it for the Canopy goggle.

Relating to the op, the Hi Pink Prizm would be the one to compare the Smith Chroma Pop yellow. I'm not a fan of yellow lenses though. I also couldn't stand the Smith Red Sensor mirror- too much blue. Made me near nauseous. The blue sensor I could take.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Light was so bad on Superstar Friday went with the 100% natural light bare eyes.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They seem to be ok for the West. In the east I find them too dark for low light days. Which basically occurs almost any day. I do like it, but the other thing I've found is they can give a glow to the snow sometimes I find distracting. I think it mainly happens in above tree line conditions. So the one day I was in Chamonix I swapped it out for the very reliable low light Hi Orange lense. No weirdness. I just didn't want to be on the glacier and get glowing effects. You're stuck inside that view.

Oakley added Hi Pink Prizm due to low light complaints on the Prizm Rose. Too dark for real low light. Haven't tried it yet, not sure they make it for the Canopy goggle.

Relating to the op, the Hi Pink Prizm would be the one to compare the Smith Chroma Pop yellow. I'm not a fan of yellow lenses though. I also couldn't stand the Smith Red Sensor mirror- too much blue. Made me near nauseous. The blue sensor I could take.
The Hi Pink Prizm are fantastic and a big improvement over the Rose Prizm for really stormy/low light conditions. Bonus is I don't go blind if I'm wearing them and the sun comes out.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I got the Chromopop yellow based on @mike_m's recommendation above. I used them for the first time yesterday. They seem to be a little better than some of my other low light goggles. I still haven't used them on a real pea-soup day, but I'm optimistic. I think yellow is better than blue for me, because my cataracts filter more blue than yellow. YMMV.

dm

Reactions: BC.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
I got the Chromopop yellow based on @mike_m's recommendation above. I used them for the first time yesterday. They seem to be a little better than some of my other low light goggles. I still haven't used them on a real pea-soup day, but I'm optimistic. I think yellow is better than blue for me, because my cataracts filter more blue than yellow. YMMV.dm

Get your cataracts fixed - you won't believe the quality of life improvement; especially skiing and other outdoor activities - just phenomenal..

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
By the way, if anyone prefers the discontinued Smith Blue Sensor Mirror lens, I have two unused ones in the original packaging I'll sell cheap. They fit Smith Prophesy, Prophesy OTG and Prodigy goggles. Send me a PM!

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
By the way, if anyone prefers the discontinued Smith Blue Sensor Mirror lens, I have two unused ones in the original packaging I'll sell cheap. They fit Smith Prophesy, Prophesy OTG and Prodigy goggles. Send me a PM!

At one point the prodigy (on my head in the pic) and prophecy had identical lens profiles, but later iterations of the prophecy this was changed enough to make the lens hard to insert in a prodigy frame. Point is, better check.

Question for the group - Who has tried clear in very low light/fog/driving snow/gun skiing? Wouldn't the 90% VLT be the driving factor over some shade of tint? Thanks.

The good low light lenses -- and even the mediocre ones that just have slight yellow tint offsetting the excessive blue light bouncing off the snow - tend to improve contrast enough that the slight loss of VLT is more than offset. But its also a matter of personal preference. And for night skiing there is also the color temperature of the lights which varies from place to place.

Gerivta

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi, it's my first post here and I would really appreciate to hear what you have to say about my query.

I've never had good goggles and I am finally about to buy some. My eyes are not very sensitive to bright sunshine, so what I am more interested in is higher contrast when it's flat-light/cloudy.

After some research, I learned that Chromapop is the lens to go. The thing is that the beautiful I/O, are a bit too expensive for me, so I decided to go with the Squad Chromapop. Is the lenses performance the same (I/O vs Squad) eventhough it's cylindrical and not spherical? Is the price difference worth it that much?

Another question I have is whether to get the Chromapop Storm Rose Flash or one of the Chromapop Everyday ones, if I am planning to use mainly the primary lens. I know that the Everyday ones should be better for any conditions, but as I say, I don't mind skiing even without goggles when the sun is out, since I can see the snow definition okay and this is what is important for me. Do you think I should get a Storm one and use it all the time, or is that stupid?

P.S. I won't be able to try them on, will order online and hope for the best! :D

Thank you!

Beerman

Booting up
Skier
Hi, it's my first post here and I would really appreciate to hear what you have to say about my query.

I've never had good goggles and I am finally about to buy some. My eyes are not very sensitive to bright sunshine, so what I am more interested in is higher contrast when it's flat-light/cloudy.

After some research, I learned that Chromapop is the lens to go. The thing is that the beautiful I/O, are a bit too expensive for me, so I decided to go with the Squad Chromapop. Is the lenses performance the same (I/O vs Squad) eventhough it's cylindrical and not spherical? Is the price difference worth it that much?

Another question I have is whether to get the Chromapop Storm Rose Flash or one of the Chromapop Everyday ones, if I am planning to use mainly the primary lens. I know that the Everyday ones should be better for any conditions, but as I say, I don't mind skiing even without goggles when the sun is out, since I can see the snow definition okay and this is what is important for me. Do you think I should get a Storm one and use it all the time, or is that stupid?

P.S. I won't be able to try them on, will order online and hope for the best! :D

Thank you!
Hi Gervita,
I would actually visit a shop to try them, even though this may be out of your way. The reason, everyones eyes are different. What one person can see clearly, another may not, through a given lens.

Now to answer your first question, Smith claim no optical difference between the cylindrical and spherical designs of their goggles. The reason cylindrical goggles are cheaper is because of easier manufacturing processes.

Question two, see my first comment, go to the shop. My nearest ski hill is approx 1000 Miles from where i live, even i can get to a ski shop occasionally.

Hope this helps.

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
I've been having issues seeing in the low light days this year with my Chromapop storm goggles, so I'm very glad to see this post.
Are most people buying the lenses from Smith or is there a better option?

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
After doing some checking, they are the same cost everywhere I looked, so I ordered them from Backcountry with free two day shipping.
I also ordered the extender for the strap, it was always over stretched on my helmet.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I just received the box of three pairs of clear lens bolle MOJO. I'm sure they are intended for night time skiing. Sometimes these short winter days has the final trail sweep ending in the dark. Especially when the setting sun is blocked by the mountain.

Why three pairs? Others on patrol have expressed a wish for clear lenses, as well, and none of the shops carry them.

Oh! At $20 a pair, they are nearly disposable.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
I've been having issues seeing in the low light days this year with my Chromapop storm goggles, so I'm very glad to see this post.
I bought last year's Chromapop Storm lens (the pink one) and found it very good for all but the lowest light days last season. I got the storm yellow lens this year as a Christmas present and plan to use it in snow storms and very foggy days (haven't been in those conditions yet this year so can't comment on its performance).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Thank you!
Welcome!
To your questions:

Is the lens performance the same in the I/O vs the Squad?
Answer: Yes, for the vision and quality of the optics. The difference is, the cylindrical lens does not have the porex feature, balancing the air between the double lenses. It also doesn't have the same resilience for impact. The spherical lens will give you better peripheral view depending on your preference. Some people like the cylindrical lens better for various reason. Most prefer the spherical The quality of the optics is the same quality

Chromapop Storm Rose Flash or one of the Chromapop Everyday lenses?
I like having a flat light storm lens in my bag, especially if I can get a goggle with two lenses. Since your eyes aren't sensitive to bright light, go for the storm lens as the extra.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I just picked up some IO7 with Everyday Green Chromapop and Chromapop storm. I actually find the Chromepop Storm better than the old sensor mirror and the Greens are better in sun/shade than anything I have tried. hate the goggles though the lens quick release is an awful design, but the lens are good.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled

I keep a pair of clear lens Bolle' in my pack. I run them every closing sweep until spring sunlight brightens the view..

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January