• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Delayed furniture

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's very little clearance between the arm-rests and the bottom of the table. The chairs don't slide well on the carpet (but I'm meaning to replace the flooring there with hardwood anyway), so that should be a temporary issue. For now I can just leave the chairs backed out a little bit. Or I can look to see if the table legs are on levelling screws or not and just raise the table by another few mm.
Just put some matchbooks under the table feet. Done.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
"decorate it"? You paid good money to get a nice solid wood table with wood grain showing... and you want to cover it up? :huh:

(sorry, can't resist. I'm a wood person, wouldn't do anything other than showcase it in its natural glory)

Ok, thanks for the sanity check. Yep, natural wood it is.

That recipe looks really good. Keep it up and we'll stop letting you get away with "I can't cook!" in the ski condos.

I'd be happy to make fire alarm chicken (without the fire alarm) sometime for the condo. Quick dish, super tasty.

Just put some matchbooks under the table feet. Done.

Cool, I'll try that. Failing that, I figured I could create some thin shims to fit under the table pretty easily.

aaaaand, what % compensation did they return to you?

Zip, unfortunately. They did speed up the "fixing" as somehow 6-8 weeks turned into two. Since I had initially paid "in full" there wasn't much I could do.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Don't let us dirtbag ski talkers anywhere near that table.. Someone will be breaking out their tuning kit and clamping the vises to the table in 3...2...1.....

I'd have a sheet of clear 1/4" glass cut with sanded edges to fit it..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cool, I'll try that. Failing that, I figured I could create some thin shims to fit under the table pretty easily.
Just go to your nearest hardware store and buy some of these felt pads. They have different thicknesses.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'd have a sheet of clear 1/4" glass cut with sanded edges to fit it..
I have used glass to protect some nice Cherry wood tables in my living room, it does a nice job.
@KevinF will the table be an everyday use or for guests and holidays? The type of protection will be different depending on the use. BTW is there a leaf for the table?

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s a table meant to be used.
Y’all use vinyl furniture coverings too?
2E181D3D-36D7-425D-8340-13AF5B94BA23.jpeg

Btw, we generally don’t use vises on nice tables. We did buy a shower curtain to protect the top.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I have used glass to protect some nice Cherry wood tables in my living room, it does a nice job.
@KevinF will the table be an everyday use or for guests and holidays? The type of protection will be different depending on the use. BTW is there a leaf for the table?

Everyday use. Yes, it has a leaf; two actually. One is installed now.. the other would go in if I'm having a big block party of some sort.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Everyday use. Yes, it has a leaf; two actually. One is installed now.. the other would go in if I'm having a big block party of some sort.
It is a great looking table, lots of luck with many years of use.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
View attachment 176510

Btw, we generally don’t use vises on nice tables. We did buy a shower curtain to protect the top.
Everything that doesn't is fair game for a workbench, butcherblock, etc.. Is he gonna get upset over the first drink ring?? Or not?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just go to your nearest hardware store and buy some of these felt pads. They have different thicknesses.
View attachment 176510

Somewhere we have pictures of Phil showing somoene how to tune a ski on an antique table in a cottage at Sun Valley.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When things got busy on Pugski (before we rebranded) we gave away our old dining room table and set up the "would be" dining room as Phil's office. My office loft is upstairs, but still within earshot of him.(that's not always a good thing ;) )

We bought some IKEA counter tops then found legs somewhere, which we set up at both table height and bar height. The table/desk height one is always Phil's desk, but the bar height one which we use in his office for shipping and receiving, we also use when guests come over for a bar height dining experience if its too cold to eat out on the patio. We have several bar stools that we've acquired over the years and it works for us. @textrovert and his family have been here when we use it.

This thread and our story just goes to show, everyone has different needs and different priorities. For us, the site management is priority.

24926E61-8230-49CA-8593-B8F12D219DE2.JPG

*guess where we find so many bar stools. ;)
3022AF84-1D35-49D8-B6D0-077AD4CBE835.JPG

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
OK, if one insist on "protecting" it during day to day use, glass is about the only thing I would use. It still shows the wood clear through (kind of)

@KevinF will the table be an everyday use or for guests and holidays? The type of protection will be different depending on the use
The beauty of natural wood is it can be refinished if necessary. So unless you're really rough on things, there's really not all that necessary to "protect" it.

Same for leather furniture. It cleans easy and typically last a long time. It really doesn't need all that much "protection".

Sponsor

Staff online