• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Check the tire mfg. date when you buy tires

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Better not have a Honda

Bummer, and that's on an older "less sophisticated" car. Seems like every few years, the Safety Nannies become more and more linked and dependent on each other. I can't put my new Explorer into Park for one second without the parking brake setting itself, and I'll just blame some lousy driver and their attorney for that kind of overkill.

Mrs. K has a 2011 Element without TPMS on her winter wheels. Luckily she has never had to turn off her traction control, what with her studded Hakkas, even though she often "floats" it through the winter pastures on it's belly while tending to her aging horse here in NW MT.

And honestly, while I'm a huge proponent of being able to turn it off to get wheelspin when you need it, I've only needed to so so once in my life, when I parked my 82 Saab FWD in a place where I knew I was going to get plowed in.

The powder day was well worth it! :ogbiggrin:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bummer, and that's on an older "less sophisticated" car. Seems like every few years, the Safety Nannies become more and more linked and dependent on each other. I can't put my new Explorer into Park for one second without the parking brake setting itself, and I'll just blame some lousy driver and their attorney for that kind of overkill.
I do like the automatic parking brake on my Highlander. But, i can turn off that feature.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do like the automatic parking brake on my Highlander. But, i can turn off that feature.

I was surprised that Ford does not allow it to be turned off, then I read about the class action suit against Dodge and rotary shifters (dismissed yesterday IIRC) and now understand.

I've adapted, plus, it does have a feature that if you put it in gear and gently press the gas pedal, the parking brake releases anyway.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was surprised that Ford does not allow it to be turned off, then I read about the class action suit against Dodge and rotary shifters (dismissed yesterday IIRC) and now understand.

I've adapted, plus, it does have a feature that if you put it in gear and gently press the gas pedal, the parking brake releases anyway.
My Highlander, when you put it in gear, the parking brake automatically disengages.

The dodge suit... a Jeep Grand Cherokee took the lift of Sulu, when the car rolled forward and crushing him between the vehicle and his gate.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Bridgestone_Tyre-Clinic_Tyre-Talk_Date-Code_2_ALT.jpg

Just thought I would share this since it is the topic of the thread.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

but like all intertwined technology, all is fine till some hardware or software fault occurs.

I'll go with the idea that Ford ensured engaging the parking brake 100% of the time, every time, doesn't have some use (overuse) failure mode.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
+1 to ditching ALL tires after they've been on the car for more than 8 years regardless of the date on the side.

-1 to blowing off the TPMS light for anyone who has less experienced family members driving the vehicles. I do not regret replacing 2 sensors to get the daughter's 2008 Honda Fit TPMS operational again. She will drive on a flat if she doesn't know the tire is going down. It does have that weird speed sensor thing too. Made it a PITA to get it working right again even after the sensors were supposedly good to go.

TMPS is like GPS.. super convenient when it's working properly, dangerous when not. But, something I don't like to feel dependent on. I manually check the tires sometimes when there is no indication of trouble and always when the light does come on.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 to ditching ALL tires after they've been on the car for more than 8 years regardless of the date on the side.

-1 to blowing off the TPMS light for anyone who has less experienced family members driving the vehicles. I do not regret replacing 2 sensors to get the daughter's 2008 Honda Fit TPMS operational again. She will drive on a flat if she doesn't know the tire is going down. It does have that weird speed sensor thing too. Made it a PITA to get it working right again even after the sensors were supposedly good to go.

TMPS is like GPS.. super convenient when it's working properly, dangerous when not. But, something I don't like to feel dependent on. I manually check the tires sometimes when there is no indication of trouble and always when the light does come on.
agreed on the safety stuff for family.

Kids and wife drive the newer vehicles, 5 star safety rating, airbags, stability control, etc. one reason we picked up our latest ones.

Passing on tidbits of cars and things to know/notice is including driving in poor weather ... which typically is don't but if one does ...

but the TMPS, I don't mind driving with a light ..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
but the TMPS, I don't mind driving with a light ..
I don't either, but wife and kids who aren't experienced at visual inspection and "feel" of a tire going down are different. They're not borrowing my car for a beach or ski trip if the light is not working properly. It's only $80 to replace a sensor assuming it's just one.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I don't either, but wife and kids who aren't experienced at visual inspection and "feel" of a tire going down are different. They're not borrowing my car for a beach or ski trip if the light is not working properly. It's only $80 to replace a sensor assuming it's just one.
There is the actual problem. We all managed just fine before TMPS and 'run flats'. Kids need to be taught what they need to know about safety and maintenance issues before they are allowed to drive. The general public just becomes dumber with each generation it seems. Parents stop dropping the ball!

#bringbackcommonsense

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Easy on the curmudgeon talk. You can thank litigation for TPMS. Those dumb kids designed the technology you're currently using. I hate talk about how important it is to be able to sharpen an axe. Looks good on the resume...

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Easy on the curmudgeon talk. You can thank litigation for TPMS. Those dumb kids designed the technology you're currently using. I hate talk about how important it is to be able to sharpen an axe. Looks good on the resume...
Too true

and in the grand scheme of things I myself practice things as @crgildart notes. I like technology helping where it can, but don't mind keeping a generator handy for times I may need one.

Much a skill set is driven (ohh, a pun) by need and I know back in youth, I liked hanging out working cars, etc. Having no internet and single tube TV in the home was a big driver (and yet another pun) for finding other things to do. Hence why I often rely on my kids when traveling to determine road conditions on a bad day using 511 services.

In terms of my idiot light - TPMS ... my youngest I do trust for "feeling" how a car rides, it sounds, etc. She's however a bit "different" as she enjoyed and wanted to help me change wheel bearings, seals, even axle. One's curiosity may simply be on other stuff unrelated to what you use daily, so yeah, I'm good with tech that figures things out for us and maybe even forewarns us on an issue prior to it blowing up. (hey, my attempt at a tire pun)

@scott43 ... sharpening an axe ... or maybe here .. a ski!

done preaching to the choir ... cheers

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Those dumb kids should look into doing more than nanny state directives and try something useful. Likely had helicopter parents that weren't letting them be kids.

Put them in a house with a wood stove for the winter and they'll learn to sharpen (and use) that old axe fast!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Highlander, when you put it in gear, the parking brake automatically disengages.

The dodge suit... a Jeep Grand Cherokee took the lift of Sulu, when the car rolled forward and crushing him between the vehicle and his gate.
Sulu?!?!?
Perhaps you meant Chekov (second casting: Anton Yelchin)?

Dog, I love nits!

Sponsor

Staff online