• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Chamonix

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We stared a bad habit going here every night…

IMG_9262.jpeg IMG_9265.jpeg IMG_9264.jpeg

And this place also got a lot of our euros…

IMG_9271.jpeg

We had a good time, my wife told me this morning it was an amazing experience for her, and she does not ski.

James

Out There
Instructor
We had a good time, my wife told me this morning it was an amazing experience for her, and she does not ski.
Good for you. Not easy when it rains.
Seems like everywhere is becoming Whistler.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not easy when it rains.
Luckily it was just the last day, it rained in the ski area. The other rainy day it was raining at the bottom and snowing up top where you ski. We had plenty of sun, snow coverage was great, had some fresh snow. It has not been a cold winter in Chamonix, they had one week it was cold (-10 to -12c) I was told.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
This place was always packed, looked like a local spot.

Chamonix has a resident population of about 8500 of which around 1000 are foreign nationals, the coffee shop you visited is owned by 2 Brits. Last winter Chamonix recorded 3.26 million overnight stays, so the place is usually crawling with tourists. Nearly all the businesses there cater mainly for tourists, just over 50% of which are French, of the rest 25% are Swiss, 20% British and 4% are from the US.

You don’t need to be a good skier to ski the classic route down the Vallee Blanche, as long a you can stop reasonably quickly you should be good to go. The tricky bit is the arête, these days most skiers use crampons, but lots of them don’t know how to use them, be wary of people going down backwards, if they slip you could be impaled on their crampons.

The Mer de Glace has lost a lot of ice since 1985, until a few weeks ago there was a 100m climb with 550 metal steps from the glacier up to Montenvers, now there is a 10-seater gondola lift.

If you do decide to go back to Chamonix make sure you avoid French school holidays and check out the conditions, as these days they are often far from ideal. I used to ski there a lot during the 1980s / early 90s, Chamonix is about 1½ hrs from where I live, but I hardly ever go there now.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ The Gondola is a mixed bag. So far I hate the idea.

It’s going to really hurt this place I would think-
DSC_5958.jpeg
At the top of the walkout from the glacier.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's also damn tasty burgers. Grab one and walk up towards the hockey arena and you're almost done with it by the time you get there. Then you can sit near the madman drummer and chant "Mmmm......Chamois!!" for a whole game. Microbrews in MBC after. Perfect evening.
From reading your post, I see I'm not the only Ski Talker who has spent time at the Patinoire de Chamonix. It was only a short walk from our flat (Les Charmettes) and, while on my way to the Bibliotheque/Mediatheque, I popped in to check when public skating sessions were scheduled and later attended one. The Cham hockey team was holding a practice session during my initial visit.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, Christyyyyyyyyyyy @SkiNurse
A gondola. Seriously. That stair climb is one of the hardest things I've ever done...in ski boots. I should've let Bruno carry me.

James

Out There
Instructor
Where are these stairs in relation to the Buvette des Mottets ? (Posts 146,7)
I’ve only hiked out there. Not easy but at least it’s snow and not steel steps.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Buvette des Mottets is about 1km north of the steps.

Buvette des Mottets.jpg

The glacier has receded a lot in recent years. When the pulsed gondola was built in 1988 the bottom station was only a short distance from the glacier. When you did the Vallée Blanche you may have been able to ski further down the glacier. It used to be possible to ski back to Chamonix via the route marked “Sortie Vallée Blanche”.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Buvette des Mottets is about 1km north of the steps.

View attachment 231207

The glacier has receded a lot in recent years. When the pulsed gondola was built in 1988 the bottom station was only a short distance from the glacier. When you did the Vallée Blanche you may have been able to ski further down the glacier. It used to be possible to ski back to Chamonix via the route marked “Sortie Vallée Blanche”.
I remember skiing down a switchback road after getting off the glacier in 2000. I can’t precisely remember where it took us, but I think we needed to board a train back to Chamonix proper. I don’t remember climbing any steps at all, except up to the Refuge above the icefall midway down.

Sponsor