• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Catchall Food Thread

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else hating on 'natural' snacks for this reason?

It's like every third Larabar is nothing short of rancid. Yuck. Waste of good cherries AND cashews. The apple ones are even worse.
Yeah, I've had that experience. Now I only buy bars from places that I think will get a lot of turnover.
If you stopover in Rock Springs, Wyoming, you gotta go for the Coke and pork rinds....

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any time my wife asks me to smell something she just took out of the fridge, I'm out. Might as well toss it. I get grossed out at the thought of what it might smell like.
At my house it is DH telling me something tastes off, what do I think? Umm, if you think it tastes off there is no way I am taking that risk, confirmation is not needed.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Any time my wife asks me to smell something she just took out of the fridge, I'm out. Might as well toss it. I get grossed out at the thought of what it might smell like.
My wife would always say "taste this and tell me what you think" especially when it came to milk products.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
WHY WOULD YOU EVER PUT SOMETHING PROBABLY BAD IN YOUR MOUTH?!?!?!?
I mean even if it's nothing to make you sick and only tastes bad, now you've got that taste IN YOUR MOUTH!

This seems like a weird twist on a first world problem.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Probably bad, no. Probably good, but misjudged, that has unfortunately happened. But I still consider that better than assuming probably good is good and then ruining whatever I am cooking.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Probably bad, no. Probably good, but misjudged, that has unfortunately happened. But I still consider that better than assuming probably good is good and then ruining whatever I am cooking.
Oh, I'm not suggesting you just use it without tasting when you have reason to doubt the quality, I'm saying toss it immediately. Ruining whatever you're cooking is only slightly less bad than tasting something laced with salmonella.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pork osso bucco

1699745668169.png

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If want to try a new steak seasoning, give this a try…I’m normally a salt and pepper only guy when it comes to steaks, but I bought sone of this after reading about and to try something different, it has charcoal in it. My son even likes it, and he is picky

IMG_6140.jpeg

Using it now on these duck steaks I shot this weekend.

IMG_6138.jpeg

IMG_6143.jpeg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is more info on the Hard Core Carnivore Black rub.

Below is a quote from Jess Pryles who makes the rub.

“Many folks probably view HCB as a gimmick. I believe if you judge it on nothing but flavor, it’s still stand-alone, mainly because it’s subtle. I haven’t seen too many other seasonings that are prepared not to be ‘in your face”. The black is a bonus. A meat cosmetic, if you will. And we eat with our eyes, so it made sense to me that it should work well to make the finished product appealing and attractive. I also think it’s great for folks who are just starting out grilling or smoking. An easy way to start achieving the look of perfect bark!”

Independent review…
https://thegrillinglife.com/bbq-acc...gs/jess-pryles-hardcore-carnivore-black/

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Charcoal has been making the culinary news as of late. It's billed as a detox. They've been adding it to pasta and pizza dough for a while now. I add it to the soil, biochar, as a home for microbes and a sponge for water.
Here is more info on the Hard Core Carnivore Black rub.

Below is a quote from Jess Pryles who makes the rub.

“Many folks probably view HCB as a gimmick. I believe if you judge it on nothing but flavor, it’s still stand-alone, mainly because it’s subtle. I haven’t seen too many other seasonings that are prepared not to be ‘in your face”. The black is a bonus. A meat cosmetic, if you will. And we eat with our eyes, so it made sense to me that it should work well to make the finished product appealing and attractive. I also think it’s great for folks who are just starting out grilling or smoking. An easy way to start achieving the look of perfect bark!”

Independent review…
https://thegrillinglife.com/bbq-acc...gs/jess-pryles-hardcore-carnivore-black/

Reactions: Tex

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It is Christmas Eve and our traditions call for Seven Fish's. This year would be the first time we didn't have all seven.
PXL_20231224_232614428.MP.jpg
Not in the picture are the crab cakes and bacon wrapped scallops. We settled for six fishes, might be a new tradition for Christmas Eve.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1F87F0F8-7175-4B9F-8B53-6D800772997C.jpeg 24AF224B-047F-4088-9603-0E790005569C.jpeg 481D0ABE-0FD2-48C4-A578-AC3FA8AD5E61.jpeg 26BF39CD-DB6C-431F-B976-83C28121F471.jpeg

@skiki can hang. I invited her to my family’s lunar new year dinner, not realizing that my parents weren’t hosting and we were going out to eat instead. No matter, she was invited and came along anyway. My mom went ahead and ordered a crap ton of seafood, much of which Skiki hadn’t tried before. She tried it all, which to my standards made her an excellent dinner guest in case you’re wondering and want to take someone out to eat. :cool:

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a great time, thanks for inviting me along! I’m not sure the “Chinese Cheetos” look quite as orange in the photo as they did in person though;)

Sponsor

Staff online