• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Car manufacturers collect data about driving and sell it to insurance companies

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I mean, I'm fully aware they're gathering crap tons of data on you I'm just surprised they can share to third parties without consent. I suppose there is implied consent in the terms and conditions of use that nobody reads. If there is no consent I thought that would be open to large litigious penalty in the US. In Canada people would just shrug and crack another beer...
If you read the actual NYT article at the beginning of the thread, some car companies have the consent buried deep in the EULA on the infotainment software or something similar. if you don't have a subscription, check out
(that's a a legit share link since I am a subscriber, should bypass the paywall).

Ford was actually cited as one of the better manufacturers because they clearly note that data is collected and they sell anonymized data, not individual data.

And as far as "just drive legally":
a) I'd rather share the road with someone who is willing and able to slide the vehicle around in an appropriate time and place and who has tried braking hard and thus knows how the vehicle will respond
b) you don't learn how the vehicle actually handles by driving like a grandma, as encouraged by the apps
c) a track day is a great time and place to work on those skills...but one of the people who got hammered on insurance rates did so because of the track day he did (apparently the insurance company can't be bothered to geofence actual motorsports sites, let alone places like parking lots that are sometimes used for AutoX and such).

Speaking of which, I wonder how the insurance companies would respond to GPS data showing a car being operated on a frozen lake (e.g. for ice time trials).

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The issue is not, who we know (or suspect) is getting the information, it is the information that is gathered by persons unknown. Question becomes is it used for good or evil.

Unfortunately, this issue is just getting more and more involved in identifying how we are being tracked.

Sponsor

Staff online