• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brahma vs. ? - Eastern One Ski Quiver Choice

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
It's becoming increasingly apparent to me that my days on the hill are simply not enough in the last few years to warrant a quiver of skis. As I research and demo different possibilities for the compromises represented by a 1 ski quiver, I have so far been leaning toward the '18 Blizzard Brahma. As with any ski in this category, there will be compromises on all fronts. My demo time on the Brahma suggests I could live with the performance compromises on hardpack, bumps, crud and glades ... perfect in none of these conditions, but capable and versatile in all.

Looking for other serious contenders I should try. I will be focused on 80-90 width range, with a possible push to the 78-ish width for something truly versatile like the Laser AX. Definitely not going wider. Versatility is the key here, with recognition that there will always be hardpack and groomers for some % of the skiing day where I ski. Definitely looking for something good in crud, skied-out glades, bumps as well, so nothing that locks into a single turn shape or nothing with tails that don't want to release (in spite of the fun that brings for groomer-zooming!). I lean a little more to the finesse side than the aggressive side, and am not a heavyweight at 168lbs.

Thoughts on the Brahma vs. others?

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
I've got 60+ lbs on you, so take my comments with a big grain of salt, but I like the Bonafide much more than the Brahma. Found the Bones to be much more energetic and fun to ski when skiing them back to back. I want performance on the groomers and in the crud and the Bones does it in spades. But it may be too wide for what you're looking for.

Doeschna

Booting up
Skier
Will throw the liberty origin 90 in there. The rocker profile makes it get through any snow conditions you will experience. They also have unreal edge grip and a lot of energy. I have detuned my 96’s quite a bit now and they still hold up on our Michigan ice groomers.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
OSQ's are a fantasy. What do you have now?

A 76 to 80 underfoot coupled with a 95 to 105 covers all the bases needed for travel.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Although if you insist on 80 mm + you will never appreciate what a truly good eastern hard snow ski can do. Then again, you won't miss what you've never had.

Have always had good eastern hard snow skis, ranging from 66mm width to 78mm width over the last several years, so I do understand the capabilities. But have always had 1 or more wider skis to complement as well. Just not getting enough days of use to justify multiple pairs right now.

OSQ's are a fantasy. What do you have now?

A 76 to 80 underfoot coupled with a 95 to 105 covers all the bases needed for travel.

That's exactly the combination I have now ... 77mm and 100mm widths. I get that a OSQ is a fantasy if you are not willing to accept compromises on both ends, but until I see a path to more days on the hill, I'm hoping to find something that at least makes the compromises less extreme.

avantskier

Booting up
Skier
You should also consider the sr88 in addition to the ax...very nimble for a lighter skier but with stockli race dna

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would take a look at the Head Supershape Titan, 80ish waist but a fantastic carver. The wide shovel really helps in non-hardpack conditions.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You should also consider the sr88 in addition to the ax...very nimble for a lighter skier but with stockli race dna
LOL, which one? There have been like four of them..all different.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
The RTM 84 would be worth a look. I really want to try the Atomic Vantage 83 CTI as well, it intrigues me for a semi-round tailed tweener ski. The Titan isn't exactly a bump and tree machine, but it likes ice, crud and dust on crust.

Would you rather manage a 80ish ski in a foot of snow than slarve all over on a 90's ski on ice? That's really what it comes down to.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
LOL, which one? There have been like four of them..all different.

Which begs the question ... Which one do you recommend??

The RTM 84 would be worth a look. I really want to try the Atomic Vantage 83 CTI as well, it intrigues me for a semi-round tailed tweener ski. The Titan isn't exactly a bump and tree machine, but it likes ice, crud and dust on crust.

Would you rather manage a 80ish ski in a foot of snow than slarve all over on a 90's ski on ice? That's really what it comes down to.
Agree on the Titan with respect to trees and bumps ... I think I can find a better all-around compromise. Never was a fan of the RTM series, but I understand the newer versions are quite different than those from a few years ago. Definitely interested in the Vantage 83 CTI ... I have the 100 CTI and would like to see how that translates into a narrower ski like the 83.
On the question you asked, I am definitely leaning more toward the 80-ish ski ... I've not had a lot of luck finding the foot of snow days the last few years. Besides, those days are just an excuse to demo something else!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Would the Atomic Vantage 90cti be a fair compromise. I know you have and love the 100. My 90 did surprisingly well on hard pack/ice, especially after a 1-3 tune. What about the Volkl Kanjo, 83 underfoot and a ton of fun. I hear the new Mantra is quite the ski but that might be too wide for a OSQ in the northeast.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Enforcer 93...I know I'm getting out of the width you asked for...but I think that ski gives you everything you asked for (other than the numbers, which don't matter anyways).

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Would the Atomic Vantage 90cti be a fair compromise. I know you have and love the 100. My 90 did surprisingly well on hard pack/ice, especially after a 1-3 tune. What about the Volkl Kanjo, 83 underfoot and a ton of fun. I hear the new Mantra is quite the ski but that might be too wide for a OSQ in the northeast.
I demo'd the 90 CTI before I got the 100 CTI ... liked them both, but I would not choose either as my "1 ski" option for where I ski. I should definitely try to demo the 83 CTI in that family. I demo'd the Kanjo recently ... very playful, but did not trust it at speed and it got "kicked around" more in crud than other options I tried.

Enforcer 93...I know I'm getting out of the width you asked for...but I think that ski gives you everything you asked for (other than the numbers, which don't matter anyways).
I have not been on that one yet ... I probably should not pre-judge based on width alone.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
I've been skiing on the 2016-2017 brahma sp this season and I love it. I'm a little lighter than the OP...~155 lbs and I'm located in PA, so I do most of my skiing in the Poconos. I did get a chance to demo the enforcer 93 and I thought that was a good choice as well, but I felt that I could get higher edge angles on the brahma. it's tough to find "good" skis w/o a ton of metal in them....and I'm glad that blizzard made the brahma sp and ca models for us light-weights.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I have not been on that one yet ... I probably should not pre-judge based on width alone.

You should. I'm yet to take a Mantra, Stormrider 95, Brahma, etc out on typical Midwest or eastern conditions and tell myself I'm glad I'm driving a rolly, slow responding lifted 4x4 down the expressway when I could be in a BMW let alone a vette. :) Good ski design can only mask physics, not alter it. We are caught in a time when the industry swung too far and is likely to come back to reality.

I'm waiting for ski makers to get smart and make all mountain skis a little narrower and a little longer with added tip rocker to help float the tip in the occasional powder stash and tree foray. A Kendo or Brahma narrowed down to 80-82 sounds about perfect to me. Putting a race plate on a new old stock 177 Latigo sounds like a hell of a fun experiment too.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm a little lighter than you (155 lbs.) and I liked the Brahma but found it took a little more effort than I wanted to give every run. Tried the Brahma CA and found it suited me a little better but definitely gave up some grip on harder snow. I went with the Atomic Vantage 90 which to me seems to split the difference between the two Brahmas.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just demoed the new Blizzard Rustler 9. It's a bit wider than your suggested range at 94mm, but it's still in the ballpark. You will give up a bit of groomer performance with the Rustler instead of the Brahma, but it might be more fun in the trees and bumps, particularly for a lighter skier with a finesse/fun style.

Worth a look.

Sponsor