• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Hi bootfitters,

I bought some new boots off ebay (from the online storefront for a shop located an hour away from home). It's basically the right starting point for my foot as it's the same shell as my old boots. But they'll need some punching and grinding. I know that it sucks when skiers don't support local shops. But if I hadn't gotten these from ebay, I would have gone for a pro deal, which wouldn't really have been better for the shop. And last time I bought pro deal boots in Whistler, the staff at the store that ordered them resented doing any work on them...

What could I do to entice bootfitters to work on these boots? (e.g. going in during non-busy hours, bribes, effusive praise, offering to recommend them to my students, etc?) What's a reasonable amount to pay for bootfitting? I'll need some punches and maybe grinding (big toe needs to be let out, foot feels pinched and crushed against roof above the arch on the tendon connecting the big toe).

Would I be better spending $30 and an hour of my time each way travelling to the in-person version of the store I bought the boots from, and asking them to bootfit?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
That's how I found my boot fitter. I had boots from my other fitter. I was crippled in pain and in tears. Nick fixed the boot. Made some adjustments to get me through the season. I bought new boots from him that following season. I've been a loyal customer ever since.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I feel like there is a distinct difference between bootfitters and bootsellers. I have taken boots bought elsewhere to bootfitters to be fixed and gotten no pushback. If you find a shop that really focuses on their bootfitting services they shouldn't give you crap. There are also a few places that really don't sell boots at all and will recommend a boot for a customer (to be procured elsewhere) and brought back to the shop to fit.

An hour each direction for a good fit is nothing (IMHO), but you should make sure it's a good place.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I feel like there is a distinct difference between bootfitters and bootsellers. I have taken boots bought elsewhere to bootfitters to be fixed and gotten no pushback. If you find a shop that really focuses on their bootfitting services they shouldn't give you crap. There are also a few places that really don't sell boots at all and will recommend a boot for a customer (to be procured elsewhere) and brought back to the shop to fit.

An hour each direction for a good fit is nothing (IMHO), but you should make sure it's a good place.

So, there you go. :micdrop:

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
This is a trend. I took a pair of my son's race boots I bought at a swap (not going to custom-fit a growing boy) to that same Nick, hoping to get them softened. He did some measuring and foot assessment, and then said the boots were too stiff for a kid his size (he was a small high school freshman at the time), and while he could try to soften them in the conventional way, he doubted the work would be sufficient. He also didn't have anything to fit my son. We went elsewhere and leased boots.

Nick's professionalism in that instance, and his reputation, sent me back to him when I was ready for a new pair of boots. He's got a customer for life (he's younger than I am, thank goodness).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I went to the bootfitter with boots I purchased elsewhere. He did not care one bit. He focused on making the boots I had work for me. He suggested they were a size too big but since the were a narrow and low volume model they could be made to work and he indeed did a great job. I had no issues with comfort before or after and most importantly the added ski control from the fit was significant. I certainly do not have problematic feet so others with more issues might benefit even more from a proper fit. Of course it is best for the bootfitter to suggest a boot rather than buying one blind.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to guess that you got the boots from ASOGear/ Corbetts. You might be just as well to go there and have the work done, except they may have no fit guarantee because you bought them on-line. You may have to pay for bootfitting services, whatever it is, $50/hr or so.
Since Kenmark is gone , there are not too many places left in Toronto . I like Greg Balmer at Skis And Bikes in Don Mills.

TS
DavidSkis

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
I'm going to guess that you got the boots from ASOGear/ Corbetts. You might be just as well to go there and have the work done, except they may have no fit guarantee because you bought them on-line. You may have to pay for bootfitting services, whatever it is, $50/hr or so.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! No worries on fit guarantee; I own the old version of the same boot, so these ones will be fine once they get some punching and grinding.

Any idea who their best bootfitter is?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I live in the Seattle area, where we have Jim Mates/Custom Boot Service. He doesn’t sell boots. I consulted him when I was ready to buy new boots, he assured me I knew enough of what to look for, advised me to use my pro deal benefits and make an appt with him for fitting. I bought my boots from Tecnica (after politely explaining what I was doing at a few ski shops, so they wouldn’t spend too much time with me as I tried various boots on). I got my boots, had an hour and a half appt. with Jim for stance and mobility evaluation, then shell fit check, check existing foot beds and add cork to add support, then alignment and cut adjustments, and then evaluate for Cantology shims. He recommended a 2 1/2 degree shim on the right boot only. I also decided to have him make new footbeds.

Picked up the boots on Monday. Fit perfectly, no punches needed, new footbeds are great. Total cost $350 including about $225 for the foot beds and the cost of the Cantology shim, and sales tax. Totally worth it.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wondering why you don't think Corbetts/Asogear would help with boot fitting just because you had them shipped to you? Buying from Asogear or Corbetts online is just like buying from their main store. I have bought multiple pairs of skis and boots from them and usually drive there from London to pick them up as they mount bindings for free if you pick the skis/bindings you order on line up there and even had my Atomic Hawk Ultra boots heat molded for free when I went there to pick them up. Have got quite a few other friends to get gear there and one just got the bindings mounted and boots done for free there after he purchased from Asogear and had them shipped 2.5 hours away to him originally. If you had just bought from "some online place" in the States for example, then you'd be paying for ANY work done by Corbetts or any other shop.

Have bought 8 pairs of skis and 12 sets of bindings in the last few years from them as they are so great! Give them a call and I'm sure they will help you out.
As others have mentioned, custom footbeds, shims etc are always going to be extra $ but standard heat molding of a liner and shell and minor work are usually free at the place of purchase and Corbetts would definitely work with you as they even have "comfort fit Guarantee" on boots they sell.

I would always go to the store to pick up boots that needed work though especially if you're so close to the store. (I drive 3.5 hours to Moonstone each way to ski for the day, so "just" an hour drive to get properly fitting boots is pretty close! lol)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I live in the Seattle area, where we have Jim Mates/Custom Boot Service. He doesn’t sell boots. I consulted him when I was ready to buy new boots, he assured me I knew enough of what to look for, advised me to use my pro deal benefits and make an appt with him for fitting. I bought my boots from Tecnica (after politely explaining what I was doing at a few ski shops, so they wouldn’t spend too much time with me as I tried various boots on). I got my boots, had an hour and a half appt. with Jim for stance and mobility evaluation, then shell fit check, check existing foot beds and add cork to add support, then alignment and cut adjustments, and then evaluate for Cantology shims. He recommended a 2 1/2 degree shim on the right boot only. I also decided to have him make new footbeds.

Picked up the boots on Monday. Fit perfectly, no punches needed, new footbeds are great. Total cost $350 including about $225 for the foot beds and the cost of the Cantology shim, and sales tax. Totally worth it.

Jim's a good guy. We've sold several of his customers the boot and will talk back and forth on occasion if there's been no preliminary consultation, but a plan to do the fitting with Jim. We're fortunate to have some very good boot fitters around the Seattle/Bellevue metro area. If a customer buying the boot wants to take it elsewhere to have it fit, there's no reason at all to interfere with that relationship. We all benefit from each other's work and knowledge and hopefully make the pie bigger.

David, it's going to be interesting to see how the new boots affect your skiing! Weren't you in some Dalbello cabrio style boots last season? Anyhow, I'll be around Stevens for the front end of the season, so maybe we can get out for a few turns!

Last edited:
TS
DavidSkis

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Wondering why you don't think Corbetts/Asogear would help with boot fitting just because you had them shipped to you? Buying from Asogear or Corbetts online is just like buying from their main store.

I had no idea :) I just figured ASOGear is like a bargain bin outlet and wouldn't include any bootfitting. But now that you mention it, I'll check with them to start.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’d maybe feel bad bringing in $79 2012 kids boots but anything other than that, you should be good at Corbetts.

Asogear is their discount/excess supply division and warehouse that is just minutes away from the main store. They do daily deliveries between the two places, so it’s not like a discount only/internet only retailer without a store front.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

:micdrop:

I went to the bootfitter with boots I purchased elsewhere. He did not care one bit. He focused on making the boots I had work for me.
This is how it usually is, but.....as Read Blinn said, they often charge for the fitting services, sometimes by the hour and sometimes by the punch or grind, or....

In any case, the expectation is that you'd pay for boot fitting services.

I had no idea :) I just figured ASOGear is like a bargain bin outlet and wouldn't include any bootfitting. But now that you mention it, I'll check with them to start.

I’d maybe feel bad bringing in $79 2012 kids boots but anything other than that, you should be good at Corbetts.

Asogear is their discount/excess supply division and warehouse that is just minutes away from the main store. They do daily deliveries between the two places, so it’s not like a discount only/internet only retailer without a store front.
Some times a full service bootfitting shop or ski shop will have a different fitting policy for closeout boots, but they will still fit them, they may charge for the service. You'll have to ask them when you call for an appointment.

Sponsor

Staff online