• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

boot skiing summer snow fields

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
For decades have been summer backpacking in the Sierra Nevada where summer snowfields are common. This summer of 2017 there were more snow fields than ever. And for occasional day amusements, we have always enjoyed a bit of playing around on the snow glissading and stand up boot skiing down slopes.

Glisading can be ok though we usually do so on less steep slopes sans ice axe by sitting on a piece of those blue plastic tarps so our pants stay dry and use our feet for breaking. However as an old bump skier, I've always more enjoyed stand up boot skiing. Well except boots especially those with Vibram soles tend to be rather resistive by design except in really soft snow.

So was wondering last week when I was doing so on a big snow field up at Piute Pass at 11.4k feet if someone else out there had ever thought about and designed some crude simple lightweight boot adapter one might categorize as anti-crampons, that one might attach to the soles of mountaineering and hiking boots to make boot skiing smoother and more reasonable? I'd bet if someone could design something to make such actually fun and lightweight, that not a few backpackers would be interested.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
When I finally get myself organized with Youtube, will need to post a video.

When glissading in a seated position, one tends to be doing so on steeper slopes than when trying to boot ski and if steep enough one ought to also have an ice axe though without one I've sometimes used a rock with a pointed shape.

Have an idea now. There are now numbers of cheap boot ice cleat products available with the cheaper products usually made of elastic rubber with embedded steel studs for gripping. That will take care of the boot to adapter interface. The below is typical:

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Ice-Shoes-Black-Traction/dp/B01LX7KYPY/ref=pd_sbs_468_2

Am thinking such a product could be easily adapted to my idea by gluing a plate of plastic to the bottom that covers the area of the sole. Probably will need to be of some functional shape maybe with a curled up tip that extends out from a boot toe. Might leave part of the heal bare that could then be used for breaking a bit. The above product just weighs 7 ounces and costs a trivial $11. Whatever modifications would need to keep weight and bulk very low.

David

Sponsor