• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Found two pair of these at my local consignment shop, both brand new. One in a 263mm sole, the other a 273. I'm currently stuffed into a 265. They are $199. Pondering. I really don't feel like breaking in new boots again this season, but these are tempting (and I'd still get BD liners, I think!)
Any feedback on these: http://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/head-raptor-110-rs-w

Great boot, if it fits your foot.

If you take that to the boot room in park city, expect to pay probably 100 for fitting, 150 for footbeds, 150 for canting/lifts/planing, 40 for boosters.

That's a sweet setup for 650 bucks!!!! (Or less if you have th boosters and footbeds, which can be recycled if done correctly the first time)

Change liners in about 50-75 days.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great boot, if it fits your foot.

If you take that to the boot room in park city, expect to pay probably 100 for fitting, 150 for footbeds, 150 for canting/lifts/planing, 40 for boosters.

That's a sweet setup for 650 bucks!!!! (Or less if you have th boosters and footbeds, which can be recycled if done correctly the first time)

Change liners in about 50-75 days.
I'd take them to my fitter here locally. I have custom footbeds and boosters. I'd have to have significant canting done, and I don't like that these boots don't have replaceable soles/aren't Cantology ready. One concern I have: I'm potentially going to be standing around in my boots a lot. I'm not sure this boot is going to be particularly good for that. I've got a lot of things to consider.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Found two pair of these at my local consignment shop, both brand new. One in a 263mm sole, the other a 273. I'm currently stuffed into a 265. They are $199. Pondering. I really don't feel like breaking in new boots again this season, but these are tempting (and I'd still get BD liners, I think!)
Any feedback on these: http://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/head-raptor-110-rs-w
You know the answer to this question, because you're a smart girl. You really need to to to a fitter and try them on next to other boots that are a good shape for your foot.
I will say this, knowing the fitting you've been through and adjustments you've had to have made to accommodate two different size feed, (both of which are tiny), the Raptor could be a good fit for you.
You're going to be on your feet in ski boots a lot this winter, do it right so you don't develop other issues with your feet.
Does your fitter carry Head?

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
^^:thumb: if the boot fits, great, if not, you just wasted a lot of money and time. Can they be returned if a fitter deems them not the best for you?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You know the answer to this question, because you're a smart girl. You really need to to to a fitter and try them on next to other boots that are a good shape for your foot.
I will say this, knowing the fitting you've been through and adjustments you've had to have made to accommodate two different size feed, (both of which are tiny), the Raptor could be a good fit for you.
You're going to be on your feet in ski boots a lot this winter, do it right so you don't develop other issues with your feet.
Does your fitter carry Head?

I'm going to check in with my own guy next week. I think I'm going to take my Salomon's into the shop to compare them side-by-side with the Heads just for kicks. I'm pretty good at putting my foot in and doing a shell fit assessment, not just in width, but also overall volume. Honestly, the Salomons are a decent fit, I just can't get the right one to feel correct. And the liners really are packed out. Otherwise, I love the flex of them and the comfort of them.

My fitter hasn't carried Head in the past. I don't know if he's going to this year or not. He does fit most of the junior racers who race at Snowbasin, so I'm sure he's familiar with them. He really does know the products and what he's doing.

^^:thumb: if the boot fits, great, if not, you just wasted a lot of money and time. Can they be returned if a fitter deems them not the best for you?

That's something I'll have to ask. I can't remember their return policy.

If my Savory 7s sell today (someone's coming to look at them) then I'll have my boot and/or liner money! :)

Reactions: Ron

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, now I have a boot fitting question related to these. I have been treating what I thought was plantar fasciitis but the new thinking is that it is actually heel fat pad syndrome. The only place on my body with too little fat. :doh:

Anyhow, taping has helped with pain but it's not an easy tape job to do on myself so my doctor recommended this heel cup and I've ordered it. I'm a bit puzzled as to how to handle this with my bootfitting. I may not need to wear it long term so I hesitate to have my liner done with it but I don't want to cause additional issues by using it short term in the custom liner. Has anyone dealt with this or something similar?

This is a thing?
Can I giggle?
Hell, my heel gets sore sometimes, too. And God only knows I have zero meat on my feet. Maybe I have it, too!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a thing?
Can I giggle?
Hell, my heel gets sore sometimes, too. And God only knows I have zero meat on my feet. Maybe I have it, too!

Yeah, I know, it is quite weird. Essentially, the fat pad has dispersed out from under my heel so the bone underneath has been bruised repeatedly with each step because it isn't protected. Sounds fun, right? When I'm taped in a way that moves it back down under the heel my pain is virtually gone. If I ever hope to run again I will have to change my stride and foot strike.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a thing?
Can I giggle?
I didn't know that was a thing, either! I laughed a bit at first, too! Good to know from the other thread that there is a solution, because it does sound painful!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't know that was a thing, either! I laughed a bit at first, too! Good to know from the other thread that there is a solution, because it does sound painful!

Neither did I until last week! If I had heard of it I would have been leaning toward that being the issue long ago because the pain profile fits it much better than PF. I am *this* close to putting myself on crutches for a week just to try to get the bone bruise to resolve.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Neither did I until last week! If I had heard of it I would have been leaning toward that being the issue long ago because the pain profile fits it much better than PF. I am *this* close to putting myself on crutches for a week just to try to get the bone bruise to resolve.

Those knee rollers are way more fun!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yeah, I know, it is quite weird. Essentially, the fat pad has dispersed out from under my heel so the bone underneath has been bruised repeatedly with each step because it isn't protected. Sounds fun, right? When I'm taped in a way that moves it back down under the heel my pain is virtually gone. If I ever hope to run again I will have to change my stride and foot strike.
YES it is a thing, and I have had it for over 30 years. Mine was the result of a ladder accident, I shattered both me heels and destroyed the cushioning fat under my heels and any that is in between the heel an ankle mortis. It left me with very wide heels and ankles making it very difficult to get into a boot since I already had high instep with extra wide feet. I have tried all sorts of cushioning devices in my shoes. Only two have worked well for me, in my running/walking shoes I use a Spanco Heel Pad and Sorbathain ( not sure on the spelling) in my hiking boots because it is a little firmer and takes the pounding. I don't use one in my ski boot but if I did it would be the Sorbathain. Both of these pads are flat not heel cups because with my heels the cup device rolls or folds down behind the heel and pushes the foot forward. Trust me when I say it is nothing to giggle about, I have pain in my heels daily.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
YES it is a thing, and I have had it for over 30 years. Mine was the result of a ladder accident, I shattered both me heels and destroyed the cushioning fat under my heels and any that is in between the heel an ankle mortis. It left me with very wide heels and ankles making it very difficult to get into a boot since I already had high instep with extra wide feet. I have tried all sorts of cushioning devices in my shoes. Only two have worked well for me, in my running/walking shoes I use a Spanco Heel Pad and Sorbathain ( not sure on the spelling) in my hiking boots because it is a little firmer and takes the pounding. I don't use one in my ski boot but if I did it would be the Sorbathain. Both of these pads are flat not heel cups because with my heels the cup device rolls or folds down behind the heel and pushes the foot forward. Trust me when I say it is nothing to giggle about, I have pain in my heels daily.

:( Thanks for the feedback on other options. Hopefully I'll get ahead of this since it wasn't a specific traumatic injury.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bumping this up to ask some questions about BDs vs. Intuitions. I was just fitted for some Intuition Luxury Liners, and they take up TOO much volume in the toe box AND the instep of my Salomon XMax 90s. I am in a very tight shell fit, but the stock liners are just done. I am beginning to think that the custom foam BDs are really my best option because the foam goes where the foam is needed, and it doesn't go where it's not needed (for me, toe box and instep.)

What's happening, besides my toes being in agony, is that the instep of the boot won't buckle without bulging and deforming. Ugh, boots!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^^I'm in the x-max 120 and have the concern you are reporting. Instep fit was tight on day one, but perfect after molding and I am concerned also about losing toe room in that shell with a thicker liner.

So I'm going to do the BD liners at some point in the near future and will report back. One thought for you is to heat mold the shell now since it will expand, although there's no going back if the liner is still too tight...

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Bumping this up to ask some questions about BDs vs. Intuitions. I was just fitted for some Intuition Luxury Liners, and they take up TOO much volume in the toe box AND the instep of my Salomon XMax 90s. I am in a very tight shell fit, but the stock liners are just done. I am beginning to think that the custom foam BDs are really my best option because the foam goes where the foam is needed, and it doesn't go where it's not needed (for me, toe box and instep.)

What's happening, besides my toes being in agony, is that the instep of the boot won't buckle without bulging and deforming. Ugh, boots!

You can try this--it really works. put your footbed under your bare feet. Then add a toecap (a THICK one). Then put your compression sock OVER the footbed and toe cap.

Now shove it into the pre-heated liner.

Stand in a flexed position with your boots tighter than you've ever had them.

Now you have a more than adequate toe box.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Hmmmm.............. w/ a tight fitting shell I used the Low Volume Intuition liner. I spoke w/ Intuition directly and went w/ the LV. Do they make an LV for women's models? Had to heat the liner a few times (rice method) and then spot heat, to get the right fit. Worked great once I used a thin insole like this https://www.rei.com/product/798300/sole-thin-sport-custom-footbeds

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^I'm in the x-max 120 and have the concern you are reporting. Instep fit was tight on day one, but perfect after molding and I am concerned also about losing toe room in that shell with a thicker liner.

So I'm going to do the BD liners at some point in the near future and will report back. One thought for you is to heat mold the shell now since it will expand, although there's no going back if the liner is still too tight...

He offered to heat and remold the shell last night, but I told him no. I see no sense in making a shell bigger on a low-volume foot. I am currently experimenting with my ZipFits again.

You can try this--it really works. put your footbed under your bare feet. Then add a toecap (a THICK one). Then put your compression sock OVER the footbed and toe cap.

Now shove it into the pre-heated liner.

Stand in a flexed position with your boots tighter than you've ever had them.

Now you have a more than adequate toe box.

We did this two times with Intuition toe caps last night. No bueno. And it felt like torture, too.

Hmmmm.............. w/ a tight fitting shell I used the Low Volume Intuition liner. I spoke w/ Intuition directly and went w/ the LV. Do they make an LV for women's models? Had to heat the liner a few times (rice method) and then spot heat, to get the right fit. Worked great once I used a thin insole like this https://www.rei.com/product/798300/sole-thin-sport-custom-footbeds

They do offer the women's in LV, but I'm not sure even that's enough. I'm about to either throw in the towel on these boots, or work with my Zipfits again.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
He offered to heat and remold the shell last night, but I told him no. I see no sense in making a shell bigger on a low-volume foot. I am currently experimenting with my ZipFits again.

We did this two times with Intuition toe caps last night. No bueno. And it felt like torture, too.

They do offer the women's in LV, but I'm not sure even that's enough. I'm about to either throw in the towel on these boots, or work with my Zipfits again.
Quick question for ya............ Are you going to a Master Fit Boot person?............ The guy I go to looked at my feet, my GF's feet, my GF's daughters feet, my friends feet, and knew off the top of his head, which boot fit each of our feet, which insole to recommend, and whether or not to go w/ an aftermarket liner and the strengths and weaknesses of each one, and was able to tell when an old boot was "Toast". Some of these guys are simply genius level........... more info here: http://masterfituniversity.com/

Not necessary to be a "Master Fitter" to get the right fit, but it gives you a good starting point if you have difficult feet like I do.............

Last edited:

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
FYI any shop can pay an annual fee and be listed as a master fit shop and anyone who attends one day seminar at Masterfit is considered a "master boot fitter" by Masterfit. NOT

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online