• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Bootfitter in California

art1437

Face first into a rock
Skier
Live in San Diego/Los Angeles area. Will be going up to Mammoth frequently. Can stop anywhere on the way or between. Need a pair of boots for life after my last good pair buckled when my skis did and the super nice ones I got in Austria turned out to be a shit fit.

Thanks in advance.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
+1 Footloose, and also Kittridge. Another option is Travis at Sun & Ski (ex-footloose) who does very high quality work. They all get slammed at the usual busy times (Friday night, Saturday afternoon and night) so highly suggest you call them in advance and ask the best time to come in when they have the time to properly work with you. Mid-week and mid-morning seems to work well with them.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
California Ski Company!

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@art1437 FWIW as far as Mammoth goes this is what last year looked like:

Footloose had and usually does have the most variety of boots although they have reduced their race boot inventory and replaced them with more back country touring boots. You can demo boots and get credit for purchase. +1 on Kevin

Kittridge has less inventory and is geared more towards the average skier. Same demo apply to purchase. They bought out inventory from a xc shop that closed and now have a good selection of xc boots and skis.

P3 has always been the Full Tilt Free ride shop. They are now under new ownership. Same staff AFAIK.

Mammoth Mountaineering is your go to back country shop for demoing and good inventory of touring (and xc) boots.

You asked for the "Best Bootfitter in CA" but limit yourself to Mammoth, depending on your needs, that boot fitter may or may not be in Mammoth.

I highly recommend calling the shops to see when their inventory will be in and getting an appointment sooner than later.......

TS
A

art1437

Face first into a rock
Skier

Footloose had and usually does have the most variety of boots although they have reduced their race boot inventory and replaced them with more back country touring boots. You can demo boots and get credit for purchase. +1 on Kevin

Kittridge has less inventory and is geared more towards the average skier. Same demo apply to purchase. They bought out inventory from a xc shop that closed and now have a good selection of xc boots and skis.

P3 has always been the Full Tilt Free ride shop. They are now under new ownership. Same staff AFAIK.

Mammoth Mountaineering is your go to back country shop for demoing and good inventory of touring (and xc) boots.

You asked for the "Best Bootfitter in CA" but limit yourself to Mammoth, depending on your needs, that boot fitter may or may not be in Mammoth.

I highly recommend calling the shops to see when their inventory will be in and getting an appointment sooner than later.......
Who would you say is the best if I were to include all of California?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s a tough call. There are a lot of good boot fitters in CA. The one closest to where you ski or can visit often enough for tweaks/adjustments is the one that is best for you. Since I will be in Reno, I plan to go to Tricia.

I think what @In2h2o was meaning different fitters gave expertise in different areas. She knows her Mammoth! What kind of skiing do you plan to do and where is most convenient for you for skiing? I live in Big Bear and don’t recommend anyone here as an option- so it’s Mammoth or Tahoe

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Who would you say is the best if I were to include all of California?
That’s a tough call. There are a lot of good boot fitters in CA. The one closest to where you ski or can visit often enough for tweaks/adjustments is the one that is best for you.

What kind of skiing do you plan to do and where is most convenient for you for skiing? I live in Big Bear and don’t recommend anyone here as an option- so it’s Mammoth or Tahoe

@art1437 I agree with @Pat AKA mustski, and its certainly subjective - who the best fitter is, and not knowing anything about what type of skiing you do or what kind of "foot" you have its hard to recommend where to find a good match. Really Footloose will have the most popular mens boots in 120-130 flex last year they had Lange, Nordica, Technica, K2, Atomic, Solomon sometimes Head or Dalbello but no one in Mammoth seemed to carry Fischer Alpine boots. If your looking for pure back country, then Mammoth Mountaineering is your best bet for selection for touring boots. FWIW There are a few more shops that carry boots but I don't have any experience with them. If you don't think Mammoth will have what you need then I would start researching further north and try to find info on a fitter that will address your needs.

They all get slammed at the usual busy times (Friday night, Saturday afternoon and night) so highly suggest you call them in advance and ask the best time to come in when they have the time to properly work with you. Mid-week and mid-morning seems to work well with them.

^^^ agree Really, you will have a much better experience in October (or as soon as stock is in) or Mid week. It's tough when all of LA arrives Friday night. I highly suggest calling sooner than later.

bbroder1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

Two questions -- any updates for this year?

And no one mentions Surefoot - thoughts about them?

I haven't used any of these in over 20 years but getting back to skiing (much less aggressively than when I was 22 years old, however)

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Two questions -- any updates for this year?

And no one mentions Surefoot - thoughts about them?

I haven't used any of these in over 20 years but getting back to skiing (much less aggressively than when I was 22 years old, however)
I will still recommend Kevin @ Footloose in Mammoth … if he’s still there. I haven’t been up this season.

No real updates, other than I haven't been into P3/The Green Room so I don't know what they are offering.

I think this year Footloose has pretty good fitting staff overall and yes Kevin is there but only certain days. Is there anything in particular you are looking for or are you hard to fit? If you are just getting back into it take advantage of being able to actually demo a boot before you buy it. Not many stores offer that. If the boots suck, come back in the middle of the day and swap them out for a different pair.

However it should be noted that it's getting 'later' in the boot fitting season and there may not be that many boots available in certain sizes at any given shop. FWIW the mountain will also let you demo boots, but they are quite limited in options to begin with.

I have no experience with Surefoot.

bbroder1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thank you so much....yes, late to the party this year.....probably going with my adult daughters -- we're all "cruisers" currently, with little likelihood of aggressive skiing in the near/medium term.

Sponsor

Staff online